Energy Suppliers

Soldato
My electric smet1 became active in February after getting a message from Bulb sadly not the gas meter , both the meters were originally fitted by EON 5/6 years ago

Soldato
They are all pretty much the same, some like MSE offer cash back incentives.

Just which ever you use make sure you check the box to see the whole market not just those which you can switch to through the site.

Many suppliers have referral links which are better than Quidco and MSE cash back so check those before switching.

Soldato
Thanks.

General thoughts on Avro?

My post from last week. Did find out yesterday though that there are no exit fee's so having a look about for better deals but not finding a lot.

Been with Avro close to a year, moved to them from Bulb. Bare bones interface on the website with the usual monthly/yearly use etc. Statements are on time and accurate to meter readings, can't complain.

Will of course look to see what other deals are about when my 12 months end but would have no problems staying with them.

Soldato
Thank you, might just be the option for me, im still yet to get a smart meter so them not supporting them from what ive seen isnt even a big deal for me.

Soldato
They require you to get a smart meter as part of the contract iirc.
They don't. Clever use of words in the contract but it actually says you agree to be contacted about having one fitted. I just ignored there calls and emails, was with them for about 18 months on that contract no issues other than a call and email each month to ignore.

Caporegime
They don't. Clever use of words in the contract but it actually says you agree to be contacted about having one fitted. I just ignored there calls and emails, was with them for about 18 months on that contract no issues other than a call and email each month to ignore.

Hi, it's E.ON. As part of your current energy tariff you agreed to have smart meters fitted and we're now ready to fit yours. You'll soon receive a message from 07860 027490 to book your appointment. For more info about smart meters and the changes we've made to our installation process to keep you and our colleagues safe, go to eonenergy.com/smartsms. Please reply to the message that follows.

Any reason why you refused to get one?

Soldato
Hi, it's E.ON. As part of your current energy tariff you agreed to have smart meters fitted and we're now ready to fit yours. You'll soon receive a message from 07860 027490 to book your appointment. For more info about smart meters and the changes we've made to our installation process to keep you and our colleagues safe, go to eonenergy.com/smartsms. Please reply to the message that follows.

Any reason why you refused to get one?
I don't want them until I'm happy to have them.

I got that email I've a month, just ignore it. It's what's in the contract that counts.

Associate
I don't want them until I'm happy to have them.

I got that email I've a month, just ignore it. It's what's in the contract that counts.

What would make you happy to have them? They are going to become necessary soon to allow dynamic use of resources such as vehicle to grid etc

Soldato
What would make you happy to have them? They are going to become necessary soon to allow dynamic use of resources such as vehicle to grid etc
2025 it will be required to have one for a new tariff, also i dont know of a provider installing legacy meters any more..

Soldato
How long does it generally take to switch, my current tariff runs out end of april, should i expect a switch to happen in that time or am i going to end up on an SVR with my current provider for a few days?

Associate
How long does it generally take to switch, my current tariff runs out end of april, should i expect a switch to happen in that time or am i going to end up on an SVR with my current provider for a few days?

Generally takes about 21 days - apparently because they wait for the end of the 14 day cool off period before they do any work...

Soldato
FYI for anyone interested, my SMETS1 meters are now reporting data to Eon again after going dumb for a number of months. Must have been upgraded after I switched from Shell/First Utility who fitted them a few years ago.

Still no bill yet though.

Soldato
I just signed up to octapus energy Go Faster tarrif. It's meant for houses with electric cars really but i don't have one yet. It's the cheapest electricity I have had in years and it's green as well
Find a referral from someone and you get £50 credit as well and no loc in period.
14p KW/hr for 19 hrs a day and 5.5p for 5 hrs

Last edited:
Soldato
I just signed up to octapus energy Go Faster tarrif. It's meant for houses with electric cars really but i don't have one yet. It's the cheapest electricity I have had in years and it's green as well
Find a referral from someone and you get £50 credit as well and no loc in period.
14p for 19 hrs a day and 5.5p for 5 hrs

How is your energy green? Do you have cabled direct from renewable sources? If not then your energy is produced at the nearest power station to you. Just because they say it's from 100% renewable sources does not mean the power you consume is. It means the company only support renewable sources.

Soldato
How is your energy green? Do you have cabled direct from renewable sources? If not then your energy is produced at the nearest power station to you. Just because they say it's from 100% renewable sources does not mean the power you consume is. It means the company only support renewable sources.
I think you are being a bit obtuse there..... if you want to argue the semantics then take it up with octapus I am just using the same definition as them.

Every unit of energy l use octapus purchase the same amount of renewable energy.

https://octopus.energy/blog/what-makes-us-green/

Anyways either way what ever.... My main point is that imo it's really good value. Any green credentials is just the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom