Energy Suppliers

Associate
That does sound quite bad, the race to the bottom. As with all of these services I guess you take the gamble that you’ll never want to contact them. Personally I don’t care about detail such as the direct debit date, but I guess I definitely would care if the Billing went totally wrong.
Read some reviews and how they deny switches and how they contact bailiffs.

Soldato
I have my MSE Cheap Energy Club alerts set to notify me if there is a deal that is £50 less than what I am paying currently. Usually I get one or two alerts per month but since last September when I switched to Green Energy I haven't had a single alert so prices must have increased considerably. My next switch is going to hurt.

still seems to be Green energy that comes out top of the legtimate providers - symbio pfp

funny that - probably just coincidence they don't have big referrals

I see green energy withdrew (a while back) their smart meter time of use tarif

https://www.smart-energy.com/indust...of-use-tariffs-still-low-but-set-to-increase/
Key findings:

• Currently, there are eight Time of Use (ToU) tariffs on the market with more than one rate throughout the day*.
  • Since Bulb updated its smart tariff trial and Green Energy UK temporarily retracted its three-rate TIDE tariff, only Octopus Energy’s Agile tariff offers more than two rates.
  • Widespread adoption is dependent on several changes in the industry, including the continued uptake of electric vehicles (EVs); the smart meter rollout; changes in industry settlement processes to encourage ToU pricing; and the development of smarter tariff comparison processes.
maybe there is an update ?

Caporegime
I've been with Green Energy for 2 and a half months and have yet to be billed for my electricity use because the app and website won't allow me to enter my usage. They've said it's because they didn't have the serial number of my meter but they've had that for a month now and still nothing.

They also told me I'm responsible for giving my previous supplier the final reading which I believe should be automatic so I've got £133 sat with SoEnergy and no way of getting it out.

I'm giving them until the 20th, which will be 3 months, and then I'm raising a formal complaint.

Soldato
I've been with Green Energy for 2 and a half months and have yet to be billed for my electricity use because the app and website won't allow me to enter my usage. They've said it's because they didn't have the serial number of my meter but they've had that for a month now and still nothing.

They also told me I'm responsible for giving my previous supplier the final reading which I believe should be automatic so I've got £133 sat with SoEnergy and no way of getting it out.

I'm giving them until the 20th, which will be 3 months, and then I'm raising a formal complaint.

Re the final reading thats a load of tosh from them. If its a smart meter both suppliers poll a read at midnight and then your new supplier confirms to the old one which reading should be used for the change of supply. If its a non smart meter, the new supplier has to send they reading they are using to the old supplier so the old supplier can generate the final bill.

Its always the new suppliers duty to tell the old one what to use and its done this way to avoid both suppliers using different readings and the customer getting double billed for example. Its also done tgis way so thr settlement for both suppliers tallies up as per the bscp504.

Also if they dont send you a final bill in 6 weeks of the switch they should make a gsos payment of £30 to you and if they dont refund any credit within 2 weeks of the final bill they owe you another £30

Source: i work for one of the big 5 and change of supply and its rules, regulations and process' are under my watchful eye.

Caporegime
Re the final reading thats a load of tosh from them. If its a smart meter both suppliers poll a read at midnight and then your new supplier confirms to the old one which reading should be used for the change of supply. If its a non smart meter, the new supplier has to send they reading they are using to the old supplier so the old supplier can generate the final bill.

Its always the new suppliers duty to tell the old one what to use and its done this way to avoid both suppliers using different readings and the customer getting double billed for example. Its also done tgis way so thr settlement for both suppliers tallies up as per the bscp504.

Also if they dont send you a final bill in 6 weeks of the switch they should make a gsos payment of £30 to you and if they dont refund any credit within 2 weeks of the final bill they owe you another £30

Source: i work for one of the big 5 and change of supply and its rules, regulations and process' are under my watchful eye.
Thanks. I know they're trying to pull a fast one, just not sure why given the rules are so clear.

I don't have a smart meter yet but gave Green my gas and electricity readings two days before my go live date, and updated SoEnergy at the same time, so there will be a two day discrepancy they'll have to work out.

Soldato
Thanks. I know they're trying to pull a fast one, just not sure why given the rules are so clear.

I don't have a smart meter yet but gave Green my gas and electricity readings two days before my go live date, and updated SoEnergy at the same time, so there will be a two day discrepancy they'll have to work out.

You 100% did the right thing giving them readings and the gaining supplier should use any readings within +/-5 days of the transfer date as your change of supply reading and then transmit these, so your final bill should be to the readings you've provided if your new supplier are doing things correctly. Its only if they have no readings within +/-5 days of your trasnfer will they then use the reading history your old supplier sends over to estimate a transfer reading. If you need any help just send me a trust message :)

Caporegime
You 100% did the right thing giving them readings and the gaining supplier should use any readings within +/-5 days of the transfer date as your change of supply reading and then transmit these, so your final bill should be to the readings you've provided if your new supplier are doing things correctly. Its only if they have no readings within +/-5 days of your trasnfer will they then use the reading history your old supplier sends over to estimate a transfer reading. If you need any help just send me a trust message :)

I've been sending them my electricity readings via their ticketing system and have downloaded the conversation after every update so I've hopefully got all bases covered.

Associate
Do the following rates sound fair currently for a 12-month fix (renewal) on Avro? USwitch seems to suggest PFP and Utility Point are cheaper, but both look to have terrible reviews.

Electricity
Standing Charge
17.85p/day
Unit Rate
17.85p/kWh
Gas
Standing Charge
17.85p/day
Unit Rate
3.15p/kWh

Caporegime
Do the following rates sound fair currently for a 12-month fix (renewal) on Avro? USwitch seems to suggest PFP and Utility Point are cheaper, but both look to have terrible reviews.

Seems alright, Ovo have me at:

Leccy standing: 19.78p/Day
Leccy: 16.59p/kWh
Gas standing: 19.99p/Day
Gas: 2.86p/kWh

And that was the cheapest I could get a few months back.

Associate
I’m sure I read Ovo we’re just under the price cap permitted so personally I wouldn’t be going in for a fixed charge, surely they can’t increase any more can they? I know you’re not with Ovo but using them as the price point

Soldato
Guys I posted in the EV thread but just wondering if I'm likely to get a better rate than Octopus Go?

£0.25 daily
£0.15kw day
£0.05 in the 4 hour window.

We expect to do around 10,000 miles per year in our car and so far we are getting around 3.5 miles/kWh (currently heavy footed!)

I know prices range dramatically but I think this works out much cheaper than our Avro contract with £0.1785 all round.

Happy to switch drier and dishwasher onto the night tariff every now and then to save on electric also.

Soldato
Was anyone else with Green Network Energy?

If so, have you heard from EDF yet? I had a closing statement from GNE, but have heard nothing from EDF and their phone service is appalling.

I have no desire whatsoever to be with EDF. I'd rather source my own provider that I actually trust/isn't just buying electricity from France and claiming it's low carbon because it wasn't generated in the UK.

I also don't wanted to get dumped with a mega bill when they finally get round to actually sorting it out (like with my council tax...crap).

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I know prices can vary by region/supplier, but they keep on creeping up, and I can't find anything to get anywhere near my current Avro tarriff.

Paying 15.75p standing charge per fuel, 13.65p per elec kwh, 2.4p per gas kwh.

Cheapest ones I can see are companies like Utility Point, Igloo, Pure Planet, but they are all a good 10-15% higher than my unit costs for this year.

Does anyone have experience using any of these? quite happy with Avro but they are a bit more expensive, though not shockingly so based on the unit prices I am seeing on renewal.

Back
Top Bottom