Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Who did you switch to? Igloo isn't the cheapest, but it seems they have some form of switch referal scheme which may swing it a little bit, especially if the customer service isn't totally barebones like some of the cheaper providers are.

Associate
I switched to Igloo and managed £200 in signing up under a referral and giving the link out. I want to use that up before switching. The thing is, our third payment comes out on the 17th and so far we haven’t received a single bill. We enter the readings ourselves, they can’t connect to our smart meter and we can’t change the direct debit until after the third payment is made.

I’m looking to switch, their user interface is pretty poor

Last edited:
Permabanned
I switched to Igloo and managed £200 in signing up under a referral and giving the link out. I want to use that up before switching. The thing is, our third payment comes out on the 17th and so far we haven’t received a single bill. We enter the readings ourselves, they can’t connect to our smart meter and we can’t change the direct debit until after the third payment is made.

I’m looking to switch, they’re user interface is pretty poor

Go ovo like me

Soldato
I've started a switch another provider today. I was holding out to see if I could beat what now seems to be the inevitable increase. But after this morning's news, I think it would be stupid if I held out any longer. :(

Soldato
I seem to be paying a hefty 18p per KWH but its locked at that i think so cant go up as far as i understand. Well i hope not anyway.

What is typical price per KWH these days ?

Soldato
I seem to be paying a hefty 18p per KWH but its locked at that i think so cant go up as far as i understand. Well i hope not anyway.

What is typical price per KWH these days ?
No such thing, varies by location. I'm paying 14.4p for electric for instance.

Soldato
On a side note i installed £6K of solar pannels and after 8 years have not broken even and im guessing the pannels have shot up in price since then.

Soldato
Panels are cheaper but no FIT to speak of, so you earn basically nothing on them. I'm OK with not getting a huge ROI but it also doesn't make your bills basically be nothing like they should be with them.

There isn't really a good reason to get solar panels at the moment.

I've just switched to Utility Point so will see how that goes.

Soldato
It does seem odd that it's mostly not financially viable to have solar panels. I'd jump at the chance if it was even a steady 200w during the day would go a long way to knock the bills right down.

Soldato
Solar panels are not all doom and gloom, they are cheaper than ever to install. They should still ‘pay pack’ in 6 to 9 years for a decent sized system on a suitable roof.

The bigger the system, the quicker it pays back because the costs to install (scaffolding, labour etc) aren’t really any lower for a 2kw system compared to a 4kw system.

There is a FIT but it’s based on actual export at wholesale cost rather than a deemed 50% export like the old days.

You can’t say they are or aren’t viable as a general rule, it’s entirely dependent on how suitable the roof is and how big of an array you can fit/afford.

The price of electric is only going one way, particularly now we need to pay to subsidise Hinckley point C through our bills. Higher prices make solar more and more viable. I’m sure the second reactor being planned on the east coast will need a huge subsidy too.

Soldato
Guys I posted in the EV thread but just wondering if I'm likely to get a better rate than Octopus Go?

£0.25 daily
£0.15kw day
£0.05 in the 4 hour window.

We expect to do around 10,000 miles per year in our car and so far we are getting around 3.5 miles/kWh (currently heavy footed!)

I know prices range dramatically but I think this works out much cheaper than our Avro contract with £0.1785 all round.

Happy to switch drier and dishwasher onto the night tariff every now and then to save on electric also.

How do you get these multi rates dependent on time of day? those are way better than I pay octopus. Although that daily charge seems high, basically £8 a month even if no electric used.

Soldato
Solar panels are not all doom and gloom, they are cheaper than ever to install. They should still ‘pay pack’ in 6 to 9 years for a decent sized system on a suitable roof.

The bigger the system, the quicker it pays back because the costs to install (scaffolding, labour etc) aren’t really any lower for a 2kw system compared to a 4kw system.

There is a FIT but it’s based on actual export at wholesale cost rather than a deemed 50% export like the old days.

You can’t say they are or aren’t viable as a general rule, it’s entirely dependent on how suitable the roof is and how big of an array you can fit/afford.

The price of electric is only going one way, particularly now we need to pay to subsidise Hinckley point C through our bills. Higher prices make solar more and more viable. I’m sure the second reactor being planned on the east coast will need a huge subsidy too.
I wouldn't even know where to start, we have a South facing roof as well so should be good for panels, brand new roof as well.

Back
Top Bottom