Energy Suppliers

Soldato
All this indication is a bit poor IMO though if i'm going to be spending upwards of £5k i want to know what i'm getting for my money and if its even worth it. Imagine paying that money and you realise your never going to see it pay for its self.

Need to get rid of this peak power output rubbish and base it off something more realistic they must have some averages by now to base it all off.

Soldato
Local new build estate where they are installing panels at the outset - builder (cynically) told me those can offset the insulation requirements in the rest of the house,
to keep the overall 'score' within spec.

If the price rise has been somewhat confirmed on medium term by Ofgem cap rise, would a fixed term be a better prospect, or it's too late now.

Soldato
All this indication is a bit poor IMO though if i'm going to be spending upwards of £5k i want to know what i'm getting for my money and if its even worth it. Imagine paying that money and you realise your never going to see it pay for its self.

Need to get rid of this peak power output rubbish and base it off something more realistic they must have some averages by now to base it all off.

That's the risk you take with any investment. It's not possible to reliably predict solar performance when its so dependent on many variables which themselves can only be forecast with varying accuracy, hence peak power estimation.

Soldato
Guys I posted in the EV thread but just wondering if I'm likely to get a better rate than Octopus Go?

£0.25 daily
£0.15kw day
£0.05 in the 4 hour window.

We expect to do around 10,000 miles per year in our car and so far we are getting around 3.5 miles/kWh (currently heavy footed!)

I know prices range dramatically but I think this works out much cheaper than our Avro contract with £0.1785 all round.

Happy to switch drier and dishwasher onto the night tariff every now and then to save on electric also.

I couldn't actually find a cheaper rate here so use this tariff without an electric car.

Soldato

The actual performance is 100% dependent on cloud cover, the best you are going to get is an estimate based on an average amount of cloud cover throughout the year but it shouldn’t be that far out. Some years will be better, others worse, there is loads of data out there now on solar performance because it’s everywhere.

You can always speak to some neighbours and see how there’s has performed over the last few years. 2020 seemed to be a very good year for sun and solar in general, but that isn’t always going to be the case.

Soldato
I switched to Igloo and managed £200 in signing up under a referral and giving the link out. I want to use that up before switching. The thing is, our third payment comes out on the 17th and so far we haven’t received a single bill. We enter the readings ourselves, they can’t connect to our smart meter and we can’t change the direct debit until after the third payment is made.

I’m looking to switch, their user interface is pretty poor

Edit - don't worry. Switching to Igloo

Last edited:
Soldato
As some may have seen Hub energy went under yesterday. Ofgem are making a statement very soon today regarding who the customers are going too and I hear they are going to Eon Next but this should be confirmed shortly.

@mdaw can see you posted a few months ago that you had gone to Hub energy so just a heads up

Side note... think you jinxed it!

I went with a supplier recently that I had never heard of. Hub energy. ..... If I remember correctly they are backed by some rich American company so hopefully won't go bust......

Soldato
How do you get these multi rates dependent on time of day? those are way better than I pay octopus. Although that daily charge seems high, basically £8 a month even if no electric used.

It's the electric car tarriff they offer. I think you need to have an EV to access it? Could be wrong though.

Associate
As some may have seen Hub energy went under yesterday. Ofgem are making a statement very soon today regarding who the customers are going too and I hear they are going to Eon Next but this should be confirmed shortly.

@mdaw can see you posted a few months ago that you had gone to Hub energy so just a heads up

Side note... think you jinxed it!

Looks like I did. Lol
Oh well all good things come to an end. From a quick look my monthly rate will go up £15. 76 upto 91 on their variable which doesn't worry me as I should be moving in the not to distant future (4 weeks max I hope) if there are no more hiccups. So if it runs longer then maybe I will worry about switching to another companies variable rates until we are gone. Then I will look to find the next best fixed rate once I have moved. Might try avro energy if they are still the next best rates to what I had.

Soldato
It's the electric car tarriff they offer. I think you need to have an EV to access it? Could be wrong though.

From memory of signing up you don't need an EV to access the Go tariff, but you do need to be with Octopus first whereby you can switch to the Go tariff assuming you have a smart meter (at least that is the stage we are at - we switched from Bulb onto a Interim Tariff with Octopus and are waiting on the smart meter install before completing the move over to Go).

We will be making full use of the 4 hour 5p/kWH window with our Kona EV "filling up" roughly 40 kWh per week.

Just checked actually and now how a smart meter installation booked for the 19th August. :)

Our current tariff is:

Super Green Octopus 24m

Day Rate: 21.43p
Night rate: 13.59p
Standing charge: 25.75p

New Octopus Go Tariff (for our postcode in Street, Somerset):

Date rate (04:40 to 00:30) - 16.26p
Night rate (00:30 - 04:30) - 5p
Standing charge: 25p

Soldato
Standing charge is quite high though. I pay 7p for gas and electricity with Eon, with 3p/16p unit rates respectively.

Obviously if you can shift all your heavy usage to overnight and charge an EV, it's a winner.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just logged into see I am nearly a grand in credit O_o they been progressively boosting my DD it seems without a regard to how much I am in credit.

I am on the co op loyal tariff as I was force migrated when they brought co op energy, I dont see any options to change tariff so may contact them to see if they will let me move to one of those tariffs with cheap night electric, even if it means waiting for contract expiry which is in october.

Associate
I’ve just run another price check, I’m with Igloo and the only one coming out cheaper is Bristol Energy. I can save £120 a year but I’m currently £400 in credit with referrals on Igloo. I’ve been with Igloo 3 months and not had a bill yet, apparently they’re still chasing Bulb my previous supplier to release some details

Associate
My 12m fixed deal with Shell Energy is ending soon, just had a look for a new fixed deal, Avro are coming out the cheapest. Don't really want a variable tariff so that discounts Igloo, Ovo, bulb etc, reasoning energy prices are only going in one direction so would like a little certainty (plus the price cap is going up in October which means all suppliers seem to use this as the "minimum pricing" they are willing to charge :(). Anyone found anything better (East Midlands)?

Electricity Standing Charge = 17.85p
Electricity Day Rate = 18.113p

Gas Standing Charge = 19.085p
Gas Day Rate = 3.392p

Smart Meter, no electric car, standard times of usage etc.

Associate
My 12m fixed deal with Shell Energy is ending soon, just had a look for a new fixed deal, Avro are coming out the cheapest. Don't really want a variable tariff so that discounts Igloo, Ovo, bulb etc, reasoning energy prices are only going in one direction so would like a little certainty (plus the price cap is going up in October which means all suppliers seem to use this as the "minimum pricing" they are willing to charge :(). Anyone found anything better (East Midlands)?

Electricity Standing Charge = 17.85p
Electricity Day Rate = 18.113p

Gas Standing Charge = 19.085p
Gas Day Rate = 3.392p

Smart Meter, no electric car, standard times of usage etc.
Switch to Igloo who have no exit charges, do so using a code and get your £50 and a month after signing up leave them for a fixed term having the extra £50 in your account or maybe even £100 if you persuade someone else to use your code. You'll still be the right side of any price caps

Soldato
My Pure Planet tarrif is coming to an end in October, they've just shown me two options to sign up with them again, one at £400 more than my current yearly costs, and the other one at £650 more...
Time for the price comparison merry go round again, but I'm not hopeful. This is getting silly. :mad:

Soldato
My Pure Planet tarrif is coming to an end in October, they've just shown me two options to sign up with them again, one at £400 more than my current yearly costs, and the other one at £650 more...
Time for the price comparison merry go round again, but I'm not hopeful. This is getting silly. :mad:

They seem to have no value in customer retention, I hate this constant new customers only thing as well.

Back
Top Bottom