Energy Suppliers

Soldato
They seem to have no value in customer retention, I hate this constant new customers only thing as well.

I thought I heard there was a law coming in to stop this?

My current deal with Shell is also coming to an end. Doing a quick comparison it seems my costs will go up around £30 a month for a fixed tariff (Sussex)
British gas being one of the cheapest as long as you have a smart meter installed within 3 months, if not they can move you onto a different tariff.

Seems all of the big brands are saying its mandatory to have a smart meter fitted now. Are these still on version 2 and going dumb if you change provider the following year? (which I normally do)

Soldato
Version 2 doesn’t go dumb when you change. There is no disadvantage to having a smart meter other than the hour it takes to have it fitted on a day you choose. The power was off for less than 15 mins when mine was done.

Soldato
even if the V2 smart meter phone home reading works if you switch suppliers, afaik IHD's are not guaranteed to work if you switch ;
so I am waiting to get a smart meter from a company with a decent IHD capability;
these had seemed good, albeit the reading are probably coming from the internet, once the meter has been told to provide more frequent 'readings'

(being with bulb) interesting, hadn't heard of the smarthing integration, can't see what exact data it enables you to see&save, to understand your use.
https://bulb.co.uk/blog/were-partnering-with-samsung-to-help-you-get-more-out-of-your-smart-meter

Soldato
I can’t really comment about the IHD, I unplugged it the day it was installed and relegated it to the garage (waste of electricity :p). I did plug it in the other day to see if it still worked and it did have my current tariff loaded.

I do agree the IHDs are a huge missed opportunity though and it would be ideas to have ready access to all its data.

Soldato
I've received communication that the tarrif I have been on with EDF since the demise of Green Network Energy is concluding at the end of September. Prices appear to have gone up massively!

Soldato
Yup, I'm seriously starting to re-consider solar again, I was so close to pulling the trigger previously but didn't in the end.

I have an east-west roof so not ideal and I'll need a split system across two elevations but we will be hitting 20p/kwh next year at this rate and it would become a no-brainer at that point.

Caporegime
I'm still with Eon after they took over Green Network Energy and their 'special' reduced tariff is about to come to an end. I shudder to think what sort of 'deal' they'll try and put customers like myself on in the hope we don't transfer away. I think I need to get onto moneysavingexpert

Soldato
I'm still with Eon after they took over Green Network Energy and their 'special' reduced tariff is about to come to an end. I shudder to think what sort of 'deal' they'll try and put customers like myself on in the hope we don't transfer away. I think I need to get onto moneysavingexpert

Same position, but when I looked on the comparison sites, there weren't any decent deals. Gonna have to suck up higher costs, though my solar panels will effectively pay them selves off faster.

Soldato
Its looking like im going to be better off staying with Octopus on their variable at this rate. Energy club says changing would cost me an extra £100 a year.

Soldato
My fixed 12 month is coming to an end and holy ****, the prices now compared to 12 months ago :eek:

Talk about getting bent over. I best get the Sudocreme out.
That's what I thought, just electric for instance currently 20p a day plus 14p a KW. To 24p a day and 18p a KW.
Going to let my fix end and stay on octopus variable.

Associate
I left EON 2 months ago and had my account closed, I've just had a lovely email to say I now owe them £325 because they accidentally undercharged me for the last 12 months (already given them £550 over the last 12 months, now they want an extra £300+)

WHAT A LOVELY SURPRISE

already been charged by my new supplier as well.

Phoned them up but got some women telling me there's nothing I can do but file a complaint, which I have done.

Soldato
I left EON 2 months ago and had my account closed, I've just had a lovely email to say I now owe them £325 because they accidentally undercharged me for the last 12 months (already given them £550 over the last 12 months, now they want an extra £300+)

WHAT A LOVELY SURPRISE

already been charged by my new supplier as well.

Phoned them up but got some women telling me there's nothing I can do but file a complaint, which I have done.
Are they allowed to do that? If so agree to pay them back at some silly rate like £5 a month.

Associate
Are they allowed to do that? If so agree to pay them back at some silly rate like £5 a month.

I don't know I'm trying to seek some advice, It's really ****** me off.

and I can only pay back £5 monthly if I prove to a 3rd party company that I don't earn enough, and even though I don't earn much at all... it still won't qualify me.

Associate
I've just had notification from Bulb, putting prices up to 20.763p kWh for electricity and 4.1p for gas.

I've been doing some mining but I think that's starting to become far less viable.

I see Octopus have a 'Go' plan that claims to charge 5p from 00:30-04:30 and 15.9p all other times but standing charge rises to 25p. Anyone else on this plan?

Permabanned
I've just had notification from Bulb, putting prices up to 20.763p kWh for electricity and 4.1p for gas.

I've been doing some mining but I think that's starting to become far less viable.

I see Octopus have a 'Go' plan that claims to charge 5p from 00:30-04:30 and 15.9p all other times but standing charge rises to 25p. Anyone else on this plan?

Check ovo

Soldato
Just got the email from Bulb tariff rising by £4.48 a week from 01/10/21 ouch . Quick search and some quotes prices are rising like mad :eek:.

Just got the same email with an increase of £3 a week. Plot twist - energy companies know a lot of people are working from home, "winter is coming" and they want to milk it.

Soldato
I don't know I'm trying to seek some advice, It's really ****** me off.

and I can only pay back £5 monthly if I prove to a 3rd party company that I don't earn enough, and even though I don't earn much at all... it still won't qualify me.

You really need to check your opening meter readings and closure meter readings and sense check what you be paid vs what you have used. If you owe it, you owe it at the end of the day.

It’s generally a good idea to do that anyway just as a matter of course so you don’t get any surprises. I track mine on a spreadsheet as I change suppliers so often, it’s really easy to catch mistakes and make sure you get any balance refunded.

Back
Top Bottom