1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy Suppliers...

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by craig_t, 12 Jan 2016.

1. Merlin5

Capodecina

Blimey, I've just done Uswitch through Quidco. Shell Energy July 2021 are coming out tops with excellent prices.

Electric 14.32 kWh/15.8p standing
    Gas 2.3 kWh/12p standing

And £30 cashback. No brainer surely?

2. Jez

Caporegime

14.32p/kwh with a 15.8p standing? Are you sure that this is the best rate for your area as that is extremely poor :confused:

3. Merlin5

Capodecina

Is it?? I dunno. All the quotes I've had so far are higher than that. Who do you recommend then?

4. fobose

Soldato

Looks a much better deal than mine! I signed up to 18 month deal in March 2019 though:

Electric: 15.45 kWh (day), 10.13 kWh (night) and 19.3p standing charge
    Gas 3.35 kWh and 20.92p standing charge

Monthly payments are £63.28 and currently in quite a bit of credit (£95.44)

5. Jez

Caporegime

In Oxfordshire (i appreciate that this varies geographically) the leading tariffs are 10.4p/KWH for electricity, i dont believe that the unit rate should be 37% higher in London (No gas supply here).

6. Merlin5

Capodecina

Well who with in oxfordshire?

7. Jez

Caporegime

Uswitch lists Symbio energy as the best supplier in this area, at 10.4p/kwh

37% increase in London seems mad, and doesnt sound right. I'd absolutely baulk at paying anything like 14.3p/kwh for electricity.

8. Merlin5

Capodecina

Yes, symbio energy giving me 10.4/kWh. But 24p standing charge. And they don't supply gas. Try finding a dual fuel supplier and then see what prices you get.

9. Jez

Caporegime

Split them out if that would give you a better deal? That electricity rate really is quite bad! I dont know your usage but the standing charge is an irrelevance to me.

Of course this varies person to person. This is never a fair comparison, i was just pointing out that on the face of it, that is not a good electricity unit rate at all :)

10. fobose

Soldato

@Merlin5 I have just checked mine and Shell Energy July 2021 comes up cheapest for me. They were who I was with last time before I switched (but they were called something else and rebranded to shell as I was leaving).

11. Dangerous Dave

Mobster

It always surprises the regional variation in prices. I'm with Orbit in central Scotland gas is 2p/kWh and electicity 10.3p/kWh

12. Merlin5

Capodecina

There you go! :) Unless anything better comes up, then you might as well switch to them in September.

Definitely agree it's not as good as 10.4p! However, the standing charge is coming up much higher than with Shell. And I'm not finding any supplier doing cheaper gas by itself, so splitting them between two suppliers doesn't seem worthwhile. I honestly think the Shell dual fuel tariff + the cashback is about as good as I'm going to get. And tbh, I'm quite happy with that after paying quite a bit more with British Gas for a few years.

London I guess, everything's more expensive down here! I just did a quote with Orbit after you mentioned them and I'm getting nothing like those prices you've got.

13. Merlin5

Capodecina

There's one more called Avro Energy. That's better than Shell. Excellent trustpilot reviews and these prices.

Standing charge 14.7p for gas and electric
    12.8p kWh electric unit rate/2.28p kWh gas unit rate.

14. ron3003

Wise Guy

15. volt9291

Hitman

I've not long just renewed another 1 year deal with Octopus Energy. Prices were good for me, their website is quick and easy to use for meter reads, etc. and they have an excellent customer care reputation, their service is so good I was willing to pay slightly more than the cheapest to stay with them. So simple to take money back out of your account if it's building up too much and easy to change your DD if needed.

*** No referrals allowed ***

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Jun 2020
  16. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

PSA - you not allowed to post referral links on this forum, the one posted earlier today has been removed. No doubt the one above will be removed in due course. What the person above neglected to mention is that they also get £50...

If you find a provider you want to switch to that has a referral program you can post to ask for one and someone can send you their via trust. But you can't publicly post your own in the thread.

17. Harnser

Gangster

Octopus are okay but I miss OVO Energy's dashboard with its graphs. I liked being able to benchmark my usage against others, and see how it changed. Moving into a new house, it'd be useful to have a prediction based on similar bills of what our energy usage over the next 8 months is likely to be.

18. stuman

Wise Guy

just been playing with the graphs. Pretty cool. I’m sure octopus will get there, there is an open API for developers to use so could be interesting.

site is now saying will be online with them by 20th. How long after that can I move over to agile?

19. Simon

Capodecina

Think Im gonna switch even though got £60 exit fees to pay. Good cashback plus over 200 a year saving

20. Harnser

Gangster

Thanks, I'd missed the API. Hmmm, underemployed atm so might have a play.