Engagement questions

Soldato
1) Assuming you asked her Dad for his blessing, how did you go about this?

2) In terms of the proportion of gross annual salary at the time, how much was the ring?

3) How did you propose?

1. No. Nor did I say anything to my parents or friends.
2. Engagement - about 1/17th.
3. On the couch ;). Without a ring. After all the calls to her family and friends we then settled on a ring style (Blue Nile) and then in the kitchen on one knee when the ring was delivered :)

We decided early on our prioritisation for the wedding - it's a celebration. I'm not religious (although her family are RC) and the French state doesn't recognise religion so you have a council office wedding (they have a stunning location and 'office' for this) and those getting wed turn up an queue, we were followed by a Moroccan wedding and I've seen so many others there. Then you can have whatever religion or don't bother.
We decided that as I'm not religious that we'd simply go for the state wedding then have a banquet celebration focused on the meal rather than pomp and location - it's about bringing people together and celebrating.

French wedding are fun.
1) they don't stop for kids. Kids have their own table, they have someone to baby sit and keep them entertained.. when they're tired they sleep on the side with the other kids in sleeping bags etc that the parents bring. They film reenacting how we met etc etc then we sit down to watch in one of the between-course segments.
2) they have a afternoon reception.. then they have a evening reception - you can be invited to one/other or both.
3) they have courses .. every 30-45 minutes. from 6/7pm till the wedding cakes are cut at midnight.. then the partying continues until the early hours.
4) the courses I remember (lol) are the seafood buffet and the inch thick beef steak.. stunning food - a mate thought that the first course was the entire thing.
5) between each course - there are games, including His and Hers etc
6) you don't get a single wedding cake - you have a number of cakes that are presented along with a Champagne fountain at midnight...
7) Then the disco starts in earnest, and about 2am they start carnival (this is a Dunkerque thing) with all the rude French songs that are part of carnival..
I remember at 3am the hardcore were downing whisky :) with the knowledge that they only had to stagger a couple of steps to bed!
8) you then have a meal together in the morning/noon the following day. This is often a simple DIY with beer, wine, home made food, pates etc.

Cost of wedding venue - lake side in the north of France and with superb multi-course meal, French wines (St Emillion), afternoon and evening reception till 3am in France was probably about €5000. Also had bedrooms on site, ours was free with the booking. We hired an old chateau for the meal the next day, and I remember eating masses of pate :)

The meal went down in legend I think as people still keep commenting on it and I have to say I'm happy it nailed what was envisioned.

Later on we arranged honeymoon - Hawaii Big Island and Kawaii (the small island at the top) for two weeks.

Last edited:
Caporegime
1. Just asked her.
2. Peanuts
3. 'I supposed we best get married then'
4. Cost of the wedding, less than 1k, My parents and sisters got involved and next thing we paying for hotels and flying relatives in I had never met to the uk for a wedding and 100 ppl for the reception. I bought a suit and wife imported a cheap wedding dress, bought some drinks and a few platters of sandwiches. 8ppl at registry office and back to ours for a few drinks and sarnies. No family members from either side attended, our parents were upset but they just had to bite their lips and get on with it if they wanted to see the grand kids.

Wow sounds like you had a dream wedding. No parents. Yet you are quick to blackmail using grand kids. Sounds like a great time by all.

Back
Top Bottom