1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine getting too hot?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by nst68, 21 Jul 2006.

1. nst68

Wise Guy

Advice needed please.

The cooling fan on my car (406 diesel) isnt kicking in till the temp is about 75% of the way up on the guage (which sometimes means that its nearly touching the red before the fan starts to do the business).

Is this normal, should the fan cut in sooner?

Ta.

Nelly

2. big_white_dog84

Wise Guy

Sounds OK to me. I wouldn't worry about it until it is reaching the red.

3. agw_01

Capodecina

Depends on the car really.

I'd look in the handbook if you have one to check when the fan should cut in.

It also depends on how sensitive the temp sensors are. Jumping up to 75% on the gauge in your car may only show 50% on the gauge in another car (if you get me).

My gauge doesn't ever move, even up to the point when the fan cuts in.

4. Bill101

Soldato

Does that temp drop radidly once the fans start? if so there is no problem.In 10 years of driving a TD Golf the fans only ever came on once.

5. agw_01

Capodecina

Everytime the woman next door pulls into our estate in her 55 plate Focus TDCi, the cooling fans are running.

:confused:

Mine don't even come on sitting in slow traffic on the way home, and there's no traffic after you get off the main road leading to my house (about a mile away from the main road).

6. Simon

Capodecina

If the aircon is on then the cooling fan comes on with it to cool the condensor.

7. agw_01

Capodecina

Ahhhhh. After posting, I just thought that it could be the aircon. :)

8. Nathan

Mobster

Its fine. My GTI is the same, you get worried dont you lol

9. nst68

Wise Guy

Thanks for the replies.

Managed to speak to my mechanic and he said basically the same as agw_01, with regard to diff sensors across diff cars.
    Main thing is that it is working.

Cheers.

Nelly

10. L Plate

Mobster

just to add, some cars take the temperature reading for the guage from a different sensor to that which supplies the switching for the fan too ;)

by that i mean that the temp guage may takes its signal from a thermostatic switch in the thermostat housing/area which is always going to read hotter than the radiator switch which controls the fan in a lot of cases, due to the direct cooling that the radiator receives.

not always as straight forward, but there are plenty of engines out there that run that sort of configuration :)