England Euro 2020 Squad Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
Pretty much this. If anyone is going to have a breakout tournament it is going to be the likes of Ben White, Mount or Grealish.

Foden seems to forget he plays in the most expensive squad on the planet.

:D

Jeez, let's hope he doesn't do anything good in the tourney and you are forced to compliment him. Did he sleep with your missis or something?

The likes of Foden are the only reason I will watch England, without him it's completely devoid of any creativity and excitement. Mount is good to watch, Grealish could be but its tiresome watching someone flopping to the floor at the slightest touch.

Soldato
Foden is staggering. Yes, he's helped by playing for a great team, but he wouldn't be in that team if he wasn't better than a lot of players worth tens of millions. He's the best young player England have had for a long, long time, and I'd argue that for his age the only better players I've seen are Messi, Mbappe, and possibly Rooney, Fabregas and Ronaldo (to be clear, obviously Ronaldo is an all time great, but he was a relatively late bloomer, moving to United at 18 and taking a couple of years to really blossom)

Caporegime
:D

Jeez, let's hope he doesn't do anything good in the tourney and you are forced to compliment him. Did he sleep with your missis or something?

The likes of Foden are the only reason I will watch England, without him it's completely devoid of any creativity and excitement. Mount is good to watch, Grealish could be but its tiresome watching someone flopping to the floor at the slightest touch.

I am not saying he isn't good but the hype is just getting ridiculous and the papers just love to build someone up to destroy them later. He needs to stay level headed and get on with it. Dying your hair thinking your Gazza isn't. Lol

Soldato
OP
Foden is staggering. Yes, he's helped by playing for a great team, but he wouldn't be in that team if he wasn't better than a lot of players worth tens of millions. He's the best young player England have had for a long, long time, and I'd argue that for his age the only better players I've seen are Messi, Mbappe, and possibly Rooney, Fabregas and Ronaldo (to be clear, obviously Ronaldo is an all time great, but he was a relatively late bloomer, moving to United at 18 and taking a couple of years to really blossom)

This is a bit much. Hes a good young player but this is a bit far. Ive yet to see him really control a game or be the reason City have stepped up a level.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I am not saying he isn't good but the hype is just getting ridiculous and the papers just love to build someone up to destroy them later. He needs to stay level headed and get on with it. Dying your hair thinking your Gazza isn't. Lol

If you don't agree with the crazy hyperbole you clearly think he is rubbish. There is no inbetween!

It was actually painful to watch a couple of the City CL games because the commentators were falling over themselves to fawn over every little thing he did. Hes a quality player and hopefully he keeps progressing but looking good in that City team isn't hard. Almost any decent player would look good in that team because they create so much space and they have such a strong identity as a team that as long as you buy into it you should be fine.

I would say he is probably the best young english player at the moment but we will see how Foden, Greenwood etc develop as well. It could be an exciting few years as an english fan but lets be honest, we don't have the manager or the cohesive national footballing style that you generally need to do well on the international stage. The top international sides usually are countries that play a certain style of football and their youth players have been doing that since a young age. Our national team seems to come out of a "survival of the fittest" style. Maybe its changed a lot since I was a youngster but the players who progressed were the most physical and developed for their age, not the most technical or talented.

Don

Why is it his fault the media 'hype' has escalated? Stop bowing down to the twitter/newspaper/social media feeds going crazy about him, he's not the first player to dye their hair silver neither, Aguero did it last year!

Soldato
OP
Id argue Trents a bigger talent tbh when it comes to English youngsters. To stop people shouting bias i would put Mount and Greenwood ahead as well and possibly Bellingham.

Good player but I havent seen him control or massively influence a game.

Soldato
Id argue Trents a bigger talent tbh when it comes to English youngsters. To stop people shouting bias i would put Mount and Greenwood ahead as well and possibly Bellingham.

Good player but I havent seen him control or massively influence a game.
I'm a Liverpool fan and think very highly of Trent. I wouldn't swap him for Foden, but think Foden will go on to another level

Soldato
OP
I'm a Liverpool fan and think very highly of Trent. I wouldn't swap him for Foden, but think Foden will go on to another level

Possibly, who knows, but Trent is massively underrated. Breaking records and winning the CL at his age is incredible especially when you think of the role he played.

Soldato
To me it feels like Foden will be the next overhyped young talent, he'll never measure up to the hype being generated because the way half the punditry carries on even Messi would struggle and then when he doesn't measure up to the impossible standards being implicitly set by the media, he'll eventually get labelled a 'failure' even if he's still better than 95% of his peers.

Soldato
To me it feels like Foden will be the next overhyped young talent, he'll never measure up to the hype being generated because the way half the punditry carries on even Messi would struggle and then when he doesn't measure up to the impossible standards being implicitly set by the media, he'll eventually get labelled a 'failure' even if he's still better than 95% of his peers.
This is my feelings as well, the press always do this and then love to smash the lads back down, let him play and be Foden rather than the next Messi, Gazza et all.

I really do despise the press they are the lowest of the low, wonder whose fault it will be when this England team that's brimming with the worlds best players (disclaimer, I don't believe the team is anywhere near as good as the press seem to think they are and Southgate is an absolute joke of a manager) don't steamroll the Euro's and **** the final 7 nil?

FMF

FMF

Associate
I think Foden has the potential to be great but on the other hand could turn out to be another Jack Wilshere.

I've got high expectations for Bellingham however.

Soldato
To Trent's level or beyond? If it's the latter then I don't see it and it's not a slight on Foden. What Trent's already done as a RB is off the charts - he's changed how we see RB's. In years gone by a top class attacking fullback was somebody than got up the pitch a bit, smashed the odd 30 yarder in the top corner and picked up 4-5 assists. Trent's attacking output is so far ahead of anything we've seen before. He's not just getting 10+ assists and key pass numbers similar to creative midfielders but he's running games from RB.

If Foden can reach the level where he's one of the best players in the world in his position then he's done well, I can't see him reinventing that position and surpassing those that have gone before him though.

I'm not going to get into a debate about how good Trent is (aside from agreeing with you that he's very good), or whether and how he's redefined his position as I don't think redefining your position is a prerequisite for being a great player, or necessarily makes you better than a player who has not redefined their position. Arguably Ederson and Alisson have redefined the position of goalkeeper but I still rate Schmeichel higher, for example (even if I can't spell his name!).

I think Foden will for large parts of his career be seen as one of the best players in the world. A genuine contender to step up to the levels of, say, a Modric. I guess we'll have to wait a while to find out!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom