England Team think Chump Manager What would You Do ?

Permabanned
Originally posted by Gilly
No need to drop Beckham completely - he's a decent player to have on the bench.

My team as follows:

Robinson

Mills. Woodgate. Ferdinand. Bridge

Bowyer. Scholes. Gerrard. J.Cole

Smith. Fowler

Bench:

Vassell
Owen
Beckham
Campbell

Kirkland

i smell a leeds fan :p

Man of Honour
Originally posted by [ASSE]Hinchy

up front id probably have Defoe and Smith - dont go saying Smith's attitude is wrong - he was unlucky to be sent off cos the second yellow was a nothin tackle and there is nothin wrong with having some aggression in ur team

Hinch

YOU HAVE TO POST MORE! ;)

BulldogUK

B

BulldogUK

My team would be as follows:

Robinson

Mills. Woodgate. Ferdinand. A.Cole

Beckham. J.Cole. Gerrard. Dyer

Smith. Owen

Bench:

James
Defoe
Fowler
Dyer
Bridge

I wish people would stop jumping on the bandwagon and critisizing smith, he was one of our best players on wednesday imho, and tbh if more of the players had half the heart and passion he puts in, then maybe we would play half decent.

and whats with everyone dropping owen
:confused:

Soldato
Originally posted by BulldogUK
I wish people would stop jumping on the bandwagon and critisizing smith, he was one of our best players on wednesday imho, and tbh if more of the players had half the heart and passion he puts in, then maybe we would play half decent.

and whats with everyone dropping owen
:confused:
Hey i started the bandwaggon buddy :p :D & as I have admitted, as have others, he is a good player. I would also agree that for the majority of the game he was our best player as he popped up everywhere as well as doing his job. However, if all followed his lead we may play half decent, but we may also lose half of the squad. Passion yes, recklessness no. Mills has learnt/learning the lesson Smith needs to. Simple as that.

Regarding Owen, people are dropping him because he has not been scoring that much.

G

Originally posted by Cemetery
Actually there are quite a few of us who think he should have been off....just not for a 2nd yellow but a straight red for his first tackle which was a disgrace. Tbh the 2nd challenge was stupid anyway which shows his lack of foresight/temperament even if it wasn't worthy of a yellow. He would not be in my starting lineup for that reason alone.

The first one he did was pretty bad, but certainly deserved no more than a yellow! There's no way that deserved a straight red.

And the second one he didn't even make the challenge if you look, he slid in and the guy stepped over and fell on top of him, and then rolled out of shot.

So

er i think u must be a leeds fan ?

the ball is the bit u kick ? or it allways used to be . But u only kick the ball when its on the pitch

if that was in the premiership i could quite easilly c both of his yellows being straight reds .

the bloke has let himself down and in my opinion shouldent be risked to play in an important game for england again

Soldato
:eek: Why have you quoted me?? Nearly had a heart attack when it looked like I was being accused of being a Leeds fan :D

Gilly, regarding:

And the second one he didn't even make the challenge if you look, he slid in and the guy stepped over and fell on top of him, and then rolled out of shot.

If the ball was out of play (as it was) why did he slide in??? He did not have to & that, THAT is the point. Too reckless atm.

Soldato
I'm stunned that people feel Beckham is a bad captain. When he goes out there it is 100% clear that he puts in twice the effort the rest of his team does. He works his ass off.

He's a big time player and delivers when we need him. And he's actually proud to play for England and shows it.

And I can't get over the fact people would drop him. That's insane. One man doesn't make a team but we would be crap without him. BY crap I mean a lot worse than we are now cos we ain't exactly amazing at the mo!!

Soldato
too right, at the moment Beckham is the only England player performing close to his best - u can NEVER doubt his effort - the guy runs all over the place

also, i feel Smith has started to curb his attitude recently, its just some referees see him make a tackle and think "oo its smith, he must have meant to injure the player" and so punish him!!!! fair enuf that ref on wednesday might not have known but he was pretty poor anywayz....

at the moment we are just suffering from bad luck and too many appearances from David Seaman and Michael Owen (and dont go saying that i only dont like owen cos he isnt scoring at the moment - i have ALWAYS said owen was poo since he had all his hamstring problems - hes never been the same since cos hes too scared to run, plain and simple

i thought sven picked players on form anywayz???? obviously not....... if he was then kevin campbell would be in the team :D imagine the stick sven would get for that!!! hahahahaha

Hinch

Soldato
Originally posted by Gilly
YOU HAVE TO POST MORE! ;)

LOL

Position - 1st Choice - 2nd Choice

GK - Paul Robinson - Chris Kirkland - (Russell Hoult :rolleyes: )
DL - Wayne Bridge - Ashley Cole
DC - Rio Ferdinand - Jon Woodgate
DC - Sol Campbell - John Terry
DR - David Prutton - Danny Mills/Wes Brown
LM - Joe Cole - Ashley Cole
DMC - Steven Gerrard - Nicky Butt
AMC - Paul Scholes - Keiron Dyer/David Dunn
RM - David Beckham - Lee Bowyer/Keiron Dyer
FC - Micheal Owen/Alan Smith/Darius Vassell/Robbie Fowler/Jermaine Defoe
FC - Emile Heskey - ?

We've got a lot of talented strikers, trouble is, Heskey is the only one that can head a ball. Which means we're wasting any of the aerial cross field balls that Beckham can provide. Realistically, without Heskey, or someone with more physical presence (Alan Shearer) do we expect to score headed goals from corners without compromising the defence by bringing up one of the big centre halves? Without someone like Heskey, Shearer, Niall Quinn in the side for another striker to feed off, we'll struggle to score goals. I think we need someone like Alan Shearer to partner a finisher, rather than having a repeat of the unsuccessful Owen/Fowler partnership at Liverpool. Fact is, we need a new Shearer, & Heskey is the closest thing we've got, except he couldn't finish his dinner. We've got a lot of good finishers, but only one even half capable of being a strike partner.

Beckham or Ferdinand should captain the side. Beckham has done nothing to lose the armband, so I'd let him keep it. His workrate against Macedonia was amazing, reminiscent of the Greece game before the WC. Do we really want to lower the morale of our most talented player just because he leads by example rather than the more conventional yelling at everyone?

Alan Smith is an agressive player no doubt, with a suspect temperament, but lets not get caught up into believing that tackle was evidence of that. It was an over eager, committed tackle, that the other man made a meal of, definately a foul, but was not malicous & with seconds remaining, the ref didn't need to send the man off.

David Seamen shouldn't quit International Football over this mistake. He should have quit at the top of his game after Euro 2000. He was a top keeper, destined to be remembered as 'Safe Hands'. He's doing irreparable damage by playing on. He hasn't been a world class keeper for 2 years now, & isn't international class any more either. He'll be 40 by Euro 2004, doe's he think he'll be the best keeper in the country at that age? If he doesn't, then he should step aside for a younger keeper* to get a run in the side to prepare for a major tournament. If he does think it's possible, then someone ought to introduce him to a fit 19 year old blonde & explain the more traditional way of having a mid-life crisis.

The goal wasn't entirely his fault anyway. Why the hell did Scholes duck?!?

* A younger keeper does not mean Calamity James. He may be younger, but we have 2 talented sub 25 keepers capable of playing for England, why delay that by playing James for a couple of years & then moving on again?

Preparing for the future is a good idea, ie up to WC2006. We have a team that prepares for WC2010, & they're called the Under 21's. Looking forward is one thing, but we shouldn't go too far.

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Kingy

FC - Micheal Owen/Alan Smith/Darius Vassell/Robbie Fowler/Jermaine Defoe
FC - Emile Heskey - ?

We've got a lot of talented strikers, trouble is, Heskey is the only one that can head a ball. Which means we're wasting any of the aerial cross field balls that Beckham can provide. We've got a lot of good finishers, but only one even half capable of being a strike partner.

Sheringham!

Soldato
Originally posted by Cemetery
Sheringham!

Fair point. I was talking more towards the future though, but another Shearer/Sheringham style partnership, was what I was talking about. Seems popular with England managers as well.

I don't rate Sheringham as a Striker (I always consider strikers to be goalscorers) nor do I rate Heskey in that context. But when you look beyond statistics, to overall contributions & to the way the game is linked up by a player like that, then you can appreciate the player more.

Back
Top Bottom