England vrs Turkey and other (Spoiler Thread)

Associate
Thought the ref was strong - not 100% right but then the penalty decision was pretty difficult to see first time. how many people when the scramble happened were screaming "PENALTY"? only after a slow-mo was Emre clearly culpable of being a cheating **** (again!).

First half we seemed content to be smacking the ball long (despite no big man upfront :confused: ). only after Rooney did a few of his magical runs did we appear to realise that we should try getting the ball on the deck and make some space for ourselves.

owen was by far the worst england player last night IMO. not in the game at all and if heskey had been playing and made exactly the same contribution as him we'd need a swear box to control the outrage in this thread :) owen and heskey both need to to pick up form to get back in the side now after the contributions of vassell and rooney. yesterday was the first complete game i've seen rooney play in and i was well impressed as all were.

COME ON ENGLAND :)

SamJ

Permabanned
Originally posted by Davey_Pitch
Didn't know you were a bluenose mate, good to see another one on the boards :D

Have been since I was about 7. Used to get a lot of stick for it but less so this season ;)

Hardly ever post in here though as my sports knowledge isn't that great, but I do like reading this forum :p

Soldato
On that performance, Vassel and Rooney deserve to be our starting pair up front far more often. They played SO much better than I've seen Heskey and Owen do for a long time. Although I think Owen is a fantastic striker on form, I was quite chuffed when he was subbed (as was my Villa mate next to me :p).

Just sort that damn midfield out now Sven, and we won't be too bad. :D

Man of Honour
Ref had a good game IMO, kept on top of a tense situation without feeling the need to dish out yellows like confeti. The handball incidents were very hard to spot even on the first replay unless you looked for them. Considering the physical nature of the game he also let things flow quite well, allowing use of the body (suited campbell and rooney) but penalising the more vicious challenges. He also kept up with play pretty well. Alan Greene & co on the radio thought so too (i refuse to listen to Trevor Brooking on the telly).

Soldato
Rooney and Vassel did well last night, i think we can celebrate the end of Heskeys international carear, Rooney who is only 4ft nothing, was winning far more balls in the air than donkey boy ever does.

And for all those who were suggesting that we should make major tactical changes, all that changed in the second half is that Bridge and Neville were told to push up more, and Gerrard to stay wide left rather than keep drifiting infield, thus stopping the turks wondering down their (the turks) right hand side without a care in the world, the turks allthough having a (very small) amount more of the possesion, did nothing with it and posed little threat even with us playing badly, the only REAL chance coming in the second half from bad defending (i think by cambell, who should have got to that header that demanded a world class save from James ahead of 3ft tall Nihat.)

Berrating Neville and Bridge when in fact, they were only beaten perhaps once or twice each is a bit harsh, you only have to look at shots on goal to see ALL the defence was solid last night.

The ref didnt aid matters with his inability to deal with the dirty turks and their filthy dirty play, Alpay, Tugay and Okan should have gone for 2 straight reds and 2 yellow cards between the three of them

Still it proves that our poor performances in the past have come from our "long ball" game, a tactic you had to employ with heskey, as he is incapable of playing the ball at all, and at last the point of playing to footballing forwards has been proved.

Soldato
Originally posted by silverpaw
Sounds liek you have too much faith in Sven, I'd bet money Heskey starts the next game, alongside Owen.

Sven has said today and i quote:
"I cant see as i CANT start him, how can i not start him?"

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Originally posted by riotstar
Have been since I was about 7. Used to get a lot of stick for it but less so this season ;)

Hardly ever post in here though as my sports knowledge isn't that great, but I do like reading this forum :p

Yeah, I get less stick this season too. Let's hope we can finish off the season as well as we've done so far! :)

Don
Originally posted by riotstar
Hardly ever post in here though as my sports knowledge isn't that great,

Nothing to worry about that is the case with all Everton fans :p

anyway welcome to the mad house , have a read at the spoiler threads come about 2.30 this saturday and you'll see what I mean :D

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Badboy2k3
thats the one gilly!!

icon14.gif

Soldato
Phew!!!!! Just got back to a computer so this is my first post on this game :D

Was very happy Wednesday night. Despite there being loads of trouble in the bar thanks to a few prats :rolleyes: I had a great time in the second half. England were magnificent. I think the difference was that they started to pass the ball on the ground a lot more instead of simply hoofing the ball to the tiny strikers - Owen and Rooney.

The performance second half showed that Heskey is DEFINATELY not needed and that Owen should no longer be guaranteed a place.

Bridge was dodgy in the first half but fantastic in the 2nd. Rooney was phenominal and I thought Gerrard improved as the game went on if I'm honest.

I think everyone has seen now that Rooney is more than capable of doing a job for England on a regular basis no matter how young he is. He looks physically fit enough to be able to compete for a full season. He already is arrogant anyway, so there is no worry of it all going to his head :D hehe.

Whilst Beckham's performance on the ball wasn't at its best, I think his workrate off the ball was second to none. If he lost the ball he was immediately hustling the Turks to get it back. Everyone in the bar admired him for that despite the fact he wasn't having one of his best games. To say that he shouldn't be in England's team for having one bad performance though is very unfair I think. He has been our best player for a long time now.

Watch Sven start with Owen and Heskey again next match though :rolleyes::p

Back
Top Bottom