England vs. France [Read during Euro2004]

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Gilly
Sure it wasn't Robinson or Glass? :)

Completely sure, because there was one of those American football style giant electronic scoreboards up & behind the enemy's net, and it had a picture of Shilton's mug plus "1-0" on it. I don't know what's more odd, him scoring a header in the last minute or one of those scoreboards in a football stadium. :D

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Jazz
1000935-movie.jpg

That's the worst picture of his face I've ever seen! Where did you find that, some kid's site from Tuvalu? :p

I've been watching the Wrestlemanias from the 80's over the last few days, and he looks a lot different to that...more Shiltonesque. :D

Associate
When the best attacking midfielder in the world (Zidane) is feeding wonder passes to one of the best strikers in the world (Henry), while being covered by the best defensive midfielder in the world (Viera) you can only come to one conclusion....

England are too good to be 'thrashed' but they will certainly get taught a thing or two.

Suspended
Originally posted by Hive
When the best attacking midfielder in the world (Zidane) is feeding wonder passes to one of the best strikers in the world (Henry), while being covered by the best defensive midfielder in the world (Viera) you can only come to one conclusion....

England are too good to be 'thrashed' but they will certainly get taught a thing or two.

Viera is not the best midfielder in the Keano is! and Van the man is the best striker!

Soldato
Originally posted by markj
Viera is not the best midfielder in the Keano is! and Van the man is the best striker!

Your wrong on both counts there. The vast majority of footy fans (apart from the man utd fans) think Vieira is the best defensive midfielder in the world. Quite a few man utds fans think that as well.

Ronaldo/Shevchenko = best striker in the world right now.

Henry imo = best all round footballer in the world.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by markj

Gotta agree with JAzz. Wrong on both counts I'm afraid :)

Don't agree that Henry is the best all round player though.

Associate
Well i think Keane used to be, but age of course takes its toll. Theres not much between the two still, but i do think the crown of best DMF is held by Viera now, & i support Man Utd so no bias...

Personally, i think Henry is the best FORWARD in the world, but i think Ruud is the best STRIKER. Yes, there is a difference :)

Man of Honour
Henry isn't a striker :)

[edit after Hive posted that I didn't see before] This post was aimed at Tom.

I think Ronaldo is the best striker and henry is the best forward. I believe Zidane to still be the most complete player.

Associate
OP
I think Henry is the best forward in the world. I'd have him over Ronaldo, who's a close second. Owen comes in 3rd, and Shevchenko 4th.

Man of Honour
I don't see how you can have Owen below Ronaldo. Just look at the facts - Owen is still young, just a baby learning his trade so when he has more experience he will be far superior. Then don't forget his endless list of medals - including five MAJOR trophies in one year! His is also faster than Ronaldo and we all know that pace is by far the most important attribute a footballer can have - how else would Tony Daley have got in the England team? Plus Ronaldo is fat, lazy and living on past reputation. Anyone who has more bulk than kate moss cannot possibly be considered a top player. If he wasn't at real madrid he would never score. Meanwhile Owen is at the mighty Liverpool, the mere mention of the name strikes fear into the hearts of clubs across the continent - as it should do thanks to their victory in the 2001 European SUPER Cup.

Associate
Ronaldo is the best finisher in the world at the moment, doesn't miss and his skill is awesome - Owen doesn't come close, as much as I hate to admit it.

Associate
OP
Ronaldo is deffo the best finisher in the world, it's awesome to watch. I really believe Henry is the best player in the world aside from Zidane though, he's so good. I reckon he's one of the few players playing in England at the moment who will go down in football history as a legend.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by HangTime
I don't see how you can have Owen below Ronaldo

Because he's nowhere near as good? :)

I was laughing because he had Owen above Shevchenko, who I only rate behind Henry as the most talented forward in the world.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by CliffyG
Think you missed the sarcasm ;).
Bah, I didn't read the entire post (I was being bothered by one of the unwashed off the helpdesk for some support :p) and I always think HangTime is a scally for some reason :o

Soldato
OK time to catch up with this thread.

I'm gonna put my neck on the line and say England will beat France due to France having a few old souls in their team (Desailly - now dodgy, Lizarazu, Barthez)

The goalkeeping situation. I'd rate Robinson higher than Kirkland at the moment. Kirkland plays behind a better defence doesn't keep many clean sheets. Granted most of these games were in Liverpool's stinker of a run. Is still a very good keeper though. I'd have Robinson has Euro 2004 keeper if it isn't David James.

As for the striking situation. In order......

Strikers: Ronaldo, Vieri, Shearer, Trezeguet, Crespo, Van Nistelrooy

Forwards: Henry, Raul, Shevchenko, Del Piero.......

Most complete player: Zidane, Beckham, Nedved, Ballack, Vieira

Notice how Owen isn't on either list. This is because he is pap. If Van Nistelrooy finds his way onto MY list, and Owen doesn't, then England have problems :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wouldn't call Beckham a complete player as he only has one foot, can't header the ball and can't tackle very well either :)

I'd also not call Schevchenko a striker, I'd call him a forward.

Back
Top Bottom