Enough Power For This Rig?

Associate
Hi guys,

My mate has just ordered a new rig and is yet to order his PSU. Do you guys think a Corsair CMX 750W Modular PSU would be enough to power the following components, considering he is planning on doing some moderate overclocking in the future?

CPU: i5 4670k
GPU: AMD Radeon 280X

If you need any more details let me know. Thanks guys!

Associate
He would be able to power that with a 500W PSU without trouble.

This review of the Gigabyte R9 280X OC shows the maximum draw the card pulls is about 350W, that power draw is taken from Furmark which is is far more demanding than a game would be. The CPU, Motherboard, Memory and Hard Drives won't consume more than 100W together so you still have 50W extra power capacity with a 500W PSU which means you will be running the machine closer to the PSU's peak efficiency which is between 25% and 90% power draw.

750W is way more power than required, even for overclocking. If you only overclock the CPU you are likely to increase power draw by about 50W - 80W depending on how much you increase the voltage and what clock setting your chip can handle.

I'd choose something closer to 500W like: Seasonic G series 550W or Corsair CS550M 550W

Back
Top Bottom