• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Epic launch fail by ATI?

Associate
Now i realise they gave those overpriced chumps(Dell) the majority of the first stock they had of the new cards.

Over a week later, not a single 5850 can be found, & the 5870's are popping up in little numbers.

Most sites don't even have them listed still.

ATI get the chance to steal a march on the overpriced Nvidia, and what do they do?

Fail......

Pretty annoying, im about a week away from getting a new rig, and the little sign of the 5850's is worrying & as i say very annoying.

Does any company ever prepare for these launches right:rolleyes:

Hmmm......ATI is a business, they will sell their stock to who ever offer them the most money. Wouldn't you want to make your money/profit back as soon as possible? I would.

Soldato
It's about time we can teleport products to vendors... I think ATi are being incredibly stupid not teleporting the shipments everywhere. Boats and trucks just aren't quick enough!

/leaves the idiocy.

Soldato
It's about time we can teleport products to vendors... I think ATi are being incredibly stupid not teleporting the shipments everywhere. Boats and trucks just aren't quick enough!

Science fanboy, Jesus left those fossil fuels lying around so we should use them in worship of our Lord and Saviour.

Caporegime
Epic failure man... Epic failure... Curse you ATI for having demand

I really really don't understand where/how people think cards are made, by fairies in batches of millions at a time satisfying all demand instantly?

They are made on waifers, with a perfect yield they'd get(apparently) 149 cores, the yields suck( not at all ATi's fault) which means they might be getting as little as 40-50cores a waifer(which costs 5k to make, no matter how many cores come off it). The waifers take time to get made, processed and get back.

Even if you could push through 10,000 waifers a day, thats only 40k cores a DAY for worldwide supply, I really really wish I knew how many waifers TSMC can make a day, its not 10k for sure, at a guess, a few hundred waifers, meaning only a few thousand cores coming out the factory a day.

Considering for another day since launch, I could buy a 5870 from I count at least 3 places, with more than 100 in stock, if people REALLY wanted them they could have them. People are vastly overestimating how many people really buy the top end cards.

Associate
AMD changed the shipping schedule, so they ship on CPU schedule, they sendt out new batches every week not every 14 days
btw many cards have been in stock, just that its at high demand, wait a week and see

Caporegime
I really really don't understand where/how people think cards are made, by fairies in batches of millions at a time satisfying all demand instantly?

They are made on waifers, with a perfect yield they'd get(apparently) 149 cores, the yields suck( not at all ATi's fault) which means they might be getting as little as 40-50cores a waifer(which costs 5k to make, no matter how many cores come off it). The waifers take time to get made, processed and get back.

Even if you could push through 10,000 waifers a day, thats only 40k cores a DAY for worldwide supply, I really really wish I knew how many waifers TSMC can make a day, its not 10k for sure, at a guess, a few hundred waifers, meaning only a few thousand cores coming out the factory a day.

Considering for another day since launch, I could buy a 5870 from I count at least 3 places, with more than 100 in stock, if people REALLY wanted them they could have them. People are vastly overestimating how many people really buy the top end cards.
You realise I was being sarcastic?.. I'm a 5870 owner too :rolleyes:

AMG

AMG

Soldato
I prefer Science too

as for OP being a fanboi, no however slating ATI was over the top...AMD struck off deals with seval deals with companies like dell the only one I know off so far, Don't forget there is a thing called travailing, trains, lorries are not very fast hell even taking the airoplane has draw backs too like when it lands it got to go via rails or road to its final destination. you forget to inculde this in your reasoning

you would be classed as a fanboi if you slated ATI over a bad lunch after Nvida had a pretty poor one ;)

Caporegime
LOL, Epic fail launch for ATi.

It would appear Nvidia's "launch" this week included, completely fake products that weren't real parts at all, now that truly is epic fail :p

As far as I know there were around 50k cards for launch for AMD, around 40k went to Dell(or dell and other oem's) and 10k went to the channel, I would be surprised if TSMC were churning out more than 10k more a week, but you'd be surprised how much of the demand that will fill up. As you can see there are dozens in stock and people aren't "that" desparate for one, because most people just don't buy a £300 card. Even the massive majority on this forum have 4870/260gtx's over 4870x2/285/295's.

It does seem strange that supposedly these cards are being made also in a 4:1 ratio in 5870's to 5850's. With the yields being so so bad, you'd figure there would be a lot of salvaged 5850's going, maybe even more than 5870's.

Associate
Did someone just call me a fanboy..:rolleyes: jesus this place at times:rolleyes:

Yes, im a Nvidia fanboy, thats why im buying the ATI 5850:rolleyes:

Can anyone start a topic on this forum, without some clown bringing the fanboy crap up?

Absolutely it's retarded logic that just intended to flame.

D13

D13

Associate
Absolutely it's retarded logic that just intended to flame.

yes, you have to appreciate that this the overclockers.co.uk graphics card forum, where if you are not some kind of rabid ati nuthugger that thinks nvidia is goign to eat your soul, then you must be a 'fanboi'.....
you just have to ignore it

Associate
Well done fan boy,

end user sales in the uk, maybe, maybe 50k over the life of the 5870, Dell, will sell a million or more in their computers over the life of the card, you think they should make sure their smallest customers get stock first, or their biggest?

As for stock, the 5850 only just launched yesterday, shocking it wasn't in stock, as for the 5870, I can see some in stock right now at several stores, hundreds infact, and there hasn't been a day since launch that I haven't seen at least one store with some in stock.

People really can be dumb, you build things, you sell them, no one builds every last card they'll ever sell, get them all ready, then launch the product, no company has EVER done that and no company ever will do that.

THe plant makes them, they go to various places, they get sold as they are made, this, is life, and hasn't changed for 20 years in any industry in the world.

Go be a Nvidia fanboy elsewhere, its not interesting, funny or even, you know, accurate.

lol, most sites don't have them listed? There isn't a single large computer components selling store in the UK not listing them, even most of the smaller ones have them listed and some in stock.

Over reacting much? Fact is they are not in great supply and are only trickling out in drips and drabs. As an end user who gives a damn what they do with big contracts and the end of the day, the end user OP included, it's not our prerogative to wonder how the bottom line will turn out for them, rather how we can get our hands on one. In that respect the launch wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Soldato
No it's selective supplying. If they get more money from companies they'll get the stock out to the general public later. Business is business after all.

Soldato
It's not really fail though is it there still is no competition for the 5800 series so a few weeks ain't really gonna hurt ATi andf anyway selling to the OEM's is where the big money is, retail box is small fry in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom