• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*EPIC THREAD* Major Problems with Coollaboratory Liquid Pro Thermal Compound DEAD CPU

Associate
hey guys,

jsut had a lot of problems with this paste stuff, im wondering if any of you guys have had trouble with it?

i wouldnt even class it as a paste becuase it has the qualitys of mecury :S

input and opinions welcome

Soldato
Overclockers sell this?? Score! Order shall be placed now. Ah no, there are options. Choices...

If you got it in the socket, the board is dead. If you got it on the pins of the cpu, the cpu is dead. I rather consider it your fault if either of these happened. If used as directed, it'll bind the the copper surfaces and remain very much in position. It's only liquid when applied. What went wrong in the application?

I think overclockers are spot on selling this. Very pleased that they do, I take it as restoring faith that they cater to the enthusiast after all. They sell radiators too, should they not do so because the odd person will splash water all over the board then turn it on to see if it's ok?

Gallium and aluminium is quite impressive. Mercury and aluminium have a similar relationship, so I guess the mechanism is similar. Mercury takes a while to get through oxide, but if you scratch your name in a piece of aluminium then leave it in mercuric chloride after a while your name is all shiny as the liquid alloy forms along the scratch. It attacks inwards and spreads out below the protective surface. Over time the areas join and the oxide floats off. Beautiful. Oh, on topic, if anyone put it on an aluminium block despite DO NOT USE ON ALUMINIUM in the manual I think they've got it coming.

p.s. are you sure the cpu is gone? If it failed while in the board, the board is probably gone too :(

edit: Ordered. I am very excited, thank you for this thread :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
mate, you are off your face. oc uk tested the cpu and an indipentend company tested the bored, its the falt of the Thermal paste. i hope to god that when you get it through nothing goes wrong, becuase hes the only guy thats gonna be able to help you if it does. its a concutor aswell. it only leaked after the paste heated up. i used it on my pc and i didnt leak but i did get cpu temp warning as soon as i booted.

im a qualified Support Technician, ive been doing this since i was 13, i have no less than 4 diplomas in hardware, network and software support. so take it from me when i say, this paste is CRAP.

Soldato
So. Failure is a consequence of the paste leaking when hot. This means in fairly direct fashion that you didn't follow the directions in the manual, specifically those relating to quantity and rubbing it on the surface until it adheres to the surface. I'd hazard a guess that the surface wasn't clean enough for it to bind to the copper or you put too much on.

The known problems with this paste are with removing it from the surface and with the cooler binding to the ihs. Yours is the only account I have seen of it spilling out over the board when warm. I think that the results speak of user error rather than poor design, surely you knew that this has to be used in a different way to thermal paste?

I am basing my opinion on reviews on xs, a thread I started on here and a limited background in metallurgy. I put more faith in this than in someone who says he knows what he's doing but nuked his board with it. If my tone is harsh it's because I'm annoyed that you're condemning a product as crap after you misused it.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
im a qualified Support Technician, ive been doing this since i was 13, i have no less than 4 diplomas in hardware, network and software support.

you obviously didnt read the instructions
it doesnt spill everywhere if you apply it how they tell you to

i think its really bad that overclockers still sell this knowing that it can destroy thousands of ££ worth of systems

for extreme cooling it is a great paste
its not designed for long term application

if you apply it right its fine

if you get a metallic, conductive thermal paste on your board then that is just unlucky - such is life

im not 100% clear, did you spill it in the socket?
i handle 20+ CPUs a day and can honestly say i have never [touch wood] bent a pin or spilled thermal paste in a socket

AMG

AMG

Soldato
Sounds like nasty stuff, saying that isnt anything in this industry that is classed as "extreme"

I don't touch that kind of stuff, saying that I can't or it will eat my CPU and heatsink, like above says "short term only". Sounds like its only short term anyway than you have to reapply the stuff, sounds a little pointless to me.

anyways sounds like you put a little bit too much on :p

Associate
OP
firstly, it didnt spill when i applyed it. secondly i did read the manual and followed what it said to the latter. it said use "thickness of a newspaper page" and so thats what i did. this stuff is dynamite, stay away.

short term use, with thermal paste? really?! i think not.

i notice that a lot of people from overclockers are saying this stuff is awesome, becuase they sell it. come on guys, you kow aswell as i do that you wouldnt use this stuff.
or else you would have already.

Soldato
I have used it a few times before and I don't like it because it's pricey and a bit hard to clean up. It's still an extremely good thermal interface though.

You obviously applied it wrong and are just raging at OC...you should be raging at yourself as you are the one who made the error.

Back
Top Bottom