Equality (but only when it suits)

Soldato
Because they have thought for most of their life they would retire 7 years earlier. Not easy to plan for with such short notice.

Wasn't it about 20 years notice? There is nothing stopping those who can't afford to make alternative arrangements (independent saving) from continuing with their current career or take additional employment.

Man of Honour
I haven't done the calculations but she was 60 least year and she is missing out on 6 years pension.

They should give these women at least something.

Our pension system is one of the worst in the developed world. I think everyone should retire at the most at 65.

Same as my wife who was 60 in August, she never asked for equality either so the "They wanted equality" argument is invalid in her case.

Caporegime
7 years extra work should be more than enough to help with that!
"They" say that for a significant % of people, not long after you retire your health falls off a cliff and your mind starts to go as well.

Apparently there are studies which suggest that a lack of purpose and/or boredom really does exact a toll on your health. And that many people fail to fill their time productively after retiring.

Whether that's true or I pulled it from my backside I really don't know :p

Man of Honour
"They" say that for a significant % of people, not long after you retire your health falls off a cliff and your mind starts to go as well.

Apparently there are studies which suggest that a lack of purpose and/or boredom really does exact a toll on your health. And that many people fail to fill their time productively after retiring.

I worked with 1000s of people at the Michelin and 1000s of people at Creda/Hotpoint and you wouldn't believe how many people retired and dropped dead a few months later.

Man of Honour

A former boss calculated the optimum time to retire, based on the average longevity after giving up work. I guess it shows that averages are indeed just averages as he died a year after retiring.

Caporegime
Because they have thought for most of their life they would retire 7 years earlier. Not easy to plan for with such short notice.

They've had plenty of notice and it has been phased in, it didn't exactly come in overnight and with an immediate jump!

The first change was announced in 1995, raising the retirement age from 60 to 65 - it is currently near the end of being phased in gradually (from 2010 - 2020).

Then in 2011 the process was sped up to get to 65 by 2018 and 66 for both men and women by 2020. That is still several years notice for a rather small relative change.

The woman on BBC news who portrays it as something coming out of the blue once she got to her 60th birthday and found out she can't retire until 65 has no more of an argument than any man who incorrectly thought his retirement age was 60 too. She just didn't realise when her retirement age was, that's all...

Permabanned
Gender pay gap?

I always wondered why this has not been discussed properly. Females promote and encourage Males to look hunky and be strong and fit. To do this and many manly jobs you need a lot of calories this is clearly reflected in the guidance for women and men 2000 vs 2500 but in reality the image they promote requires more than 2500 calories and actually more money for the food than a female.

So why should someone who is ideally of a slim attractive nature with a calorie intake ideally of a healthy and cheaper 2000k diet paid the exact same as a man? Surely this is gender discrimination? You can not really have equality until nature starts to produce male and females equally. And going by birth weights there is no sign of mother nature adapting modern equality, She seems to think equality is unnatural i guess? For example imagine the guy who played the mountain in GOT given the same pay as some 5ft vegetarian brunette you would be seriously discriminating against him because the guy seems to be naturally big and requires a mountain of food.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They've had 24 years so far. That's hardly "such short notice". There's no need to plan. They just carry on working, like everyone else has to. The "planning" thing is a diversion.

100%, my wife has just got to work 6 more years, no planning involved.
The bonus is that since she is making way more money by working, we can afford nice things, if she had retired in August we couldn't have nice things.

Associate
I always wondered why this has not been discussed properly. Females promote and encourage Males to look hunky and be strong and fit. To do this and many manly jobs you need a lot of calories this is clearly reflected in the guidance for women and men 2000 vs 2500 but in reality the image they promote requires more than 2500 calories and actually more money for the food than a female.

So why should someone who is ideally of a slim attractive nature with a calorie intake ideally of a healthy and cheaper 2000k diet paid the exact same as a man? Surely this is gender discrimination? You can not really have equality until nature starts to produce male and females equally. And going by birth weights there is no sign of mother nature adapting modern equality, She seems to think equality is unnatural i guess? For example imagine the guy who played the mountain in GOT given the same pay as some 5ft vegetarian brunette you would be seriously discriminating against him because the guy seems to be naturally big and requires a mountain of food.

Women have unique costs based on their sex too, tampons etc. Overall I think men might even come out slightly ahead in that regard.

Soldato
Been talking to my mum about this, I find it hard to believe that she never knew about it back in the 90's... but she swears she did not, she is angry that people were not told individually. I don't know if this is true or not, but she says she was never told individually in person or by letter that it was going to change.

Soldato
Been talking to my mum about this, I find it hard to believe that she never knew about it back in the 90's... but she swears she did not, she is angry that people were not told individually. I don't know if this is true or not, but she says she was never told individually in person or by letter that it was going to change.

I wasnt told individually when it went up last time.

Ignorance is no defence, it's not up to the government to inform you personally of every change.

Soldato
I wasnt told individually when it went up last time.

Ignorance is no defence, it's not up to the government to inform you personally of every change.

How would they know then? Especially in the 90's, what if you didn't watch TV? How would you know?

They informed her personally by letter the second time around though...

Back
Top Bottom