1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equality (but only when it suits)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by No1newts, 3 Oct 2019.

1. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

It didn't used to be like that, you had to retire when you reached pension age.
    (Obviously depending what work you were in)

2. b0rn2sk8

Soldato

I know

It was phased out in 2011

3. dowie

Capo Crimine

3 years it seems. But yeah that is a bit of a steeper increase relative to the earlier ones and might have been phased in better... regardless it isn't exactly unfair, the changes affect both men and women. It is more that some women born earlier still have quite a sweet deal relative to both men in general and women born a bit later.

4. Eurofighter

Wise Guy

Dont people think retirement should be younger for both sexes though. What if you have a physical job. Most of them will end up on the sick before retirement.

5. Dolph

Man of Honour

The state pension doesn't in any way determine when you can retire, it determines when you can claim your state pension.

6. Abraxaz1

Wise Guy

Hence why you get a private pension, the state pension is a safety net not a crutch, it's there to assist those that either dont have a pension or have a very small amount. It's not designed to be the be all and end all that everyone thinks it is.

7. Eurofighter

Wise Guy

Last edited: 7 Oct 2019
  8. Angilion

Man of Honour

A few years ago I received the projection for my private pension that caused me to opt out. My employer had massively downgraded the pension scheme for years before closing it and replacing it with an even worse one. When it got the the stage where paying the maximum I could afford for 38 years and 11 months would buy me a pension that would barely feed a dog (and no, that is not hyperbole - £21 a week would probably barely feed a dog in 2034), I opted out.

For many people, the state pension is the be all and end all. Company pension schemes are nothing like what they used to be. When I started paying in, I was due to retire with 38.9/60ths of my final salary and the AVCs I paid would have brought it up further. Now I would have to pay a much larger percentage of my wages for the same length of time to buy a pension that might keep a dog well enough fed. Maybe.

9. theone8181

Soldato

How can they have removed you from a final salary scheme, i thought once in you could only opt out not be kicked out so to speak?

10. Angilion

Man of Honour

They closed the final salary scheme. It no longer exists. No need to kick anyone out of a pension scheme that doesn't exist.

11. theone8181

Soldato

Strange, when i used to be at bae it was final salary, but its not anymore however i'm still on it as i've got money in it. Thats why i was confused.

12. Nasher

Capodecina

Its not gone for everyone.

Also MPs have set themselves up nicely :\

13. nitram100

Mobster

This. I'm a RGN and the heavy patients always get allocated to me, sick of it.

14. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

Well working in Public Liability in a Trust and seeing lots of cases, make sure there are at least two of you (or more) with a heavy patient if you've signed your Manual Handling Training.

15. Angilion

Man of Honour

I'm not a pensions expert, but I think there are 4 possible statuses for a pension scheme:

1) Open to new members.
    2) Closed to new members but open to existing members.
    3) Closed but continuing to function with the money already paid into it.
    4) No longer existing.

The pension scheme I was in no longer exists. Nobody is in it, there is no money in it, it doesn't exist at all. The money that was in it was transferred to...something. I don't know what. Probably the useless new pension scheme, but it could have been pocketed by the shareholders for all I know.

16. Sindri

Hitman

What industry were you in? Railway?

17. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

Surely you can look into it or was this before the Government stepped in and started protecting pensions?