eSATA interface worth the money ?

Associate
Hi All,

I'm looking for an external hard drive to run as my main work storage, plugged into my laptop (Dell XPS M1710). I'm gonna be using the hard drive for video editing, animations and other graphics stuff so would like it to be fast.

I'm 99% going to get the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500GB 7200rpm 16MB USB2 / Firewire 400 / eSATA drive which I've found for £115 inc vat and delivery, but just wanted to check something about eSATA and Firewire.

I'm assuming that eSATA will give me the fastest performance, but with it being an external hard drive am I going to notice the difference. I've seen a 2 Port eSATA Expresscard Adapter for £38 inc vat and delivery. Would I notice the extra performance or would I be wasting an extra £38.

If it would be a waste of money I'd probably look at the same Seagate drive but just the USB2 version (though 8mb cache instead of 16mb) which I've found for £85 inc vat and delivery.

Thanks for any advice in advance,
Storm

Associate
An eSATA drive on the PCIe bus will as fast as, if not faster than, your internal drive. You'll definitely notice the speed increase above USB and IEEE1394a.

If you've got a 1394b/Firewire 800 port on your laptop then that's another option, but eSATA is the way to go.

Soldato
Using eSATA with a 320GB SATA 7200.10 in an Icy Box external enclosure in HDTach I get an Average read of 68MB/s (exactly what I would get if installed as internal HDD), over USB2 in HDTach also, I get an Average read of 32MB/s...hopefully that will give you some idea of transfer rates. :)

Associate
helmutcheese said:
If the eSata is on the PCI-E bus as above user said, if its on the older PCI bus its bottleneck is 133MB/Sec shared with other devices.

yes... but for a single drive that's generally irrelevant since no single consumer disk can sustain anywhere near 133MB/sec (except perhaps extreme high end 15,000 rpm disks which you don't find in SATA form or external enclosures) , so it doesn't actually matter if the e-Sata controller is PCI or PCI-e for a single disk.

Back
Top Bottom