ESXi Server

Associate
Hi

I need to setup a home lab for testing AD and Exchange 2010 and would like to get a ESXi host built that will be able to run both these as separate VM's along with Open Filer VM and maybe a few Test PC's.

Ideally I need the smallest footprint possible for the case, so can any recommend what components I will need for it, CPU, Motherboard, Ram etc or if something like the HP Microserver G7 would suffice.

Thanks

Associate
I have an HP ML110 G7 (Pentium G840) running ESXi 5.1 - installed on a memory stick. This is a great little server, relatively quiet, low power etc. It will offiically take 16GB RAM, but it has been proven to take 32GB as well, so your scope for non intensive CPU VMs is quite good. I have about 4 Win 7s running quite happily in mine, plus an Ubuntu and Win 8 for "playing"...

Lots of others have the HP N40L Microserver which also makes a good ESXi lab machine.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, I have a NL36 Microserver that I use for my NAS and download server thats just running server 2008 with 4GB and 8TB storage. I didn't think the CPU would be up to running multiple VM's for AD and Exchange but I could give it ago If I can find somewhere to move my data to.

Its a shame the cash back deal on the ML110 isn't on anymore as I would have picked one up if it was its looks like a good server.

Back
Top Bottom