Etiquette for Lycra Clad Nutters?

Soldato
I had a white van blast their horn at me as they overtook me today. They were held up for about 5 seconds as I rode in primary position over a hump-back bridge with a blind dip & corner so they couldn't overtake anyway. Have definitely noticed more poor driving, or maybe things were always this bad and I forgot about it over the last couple of months?

Close passes (often overtaking when other vehicles are coming the other way), drivers failing to indicate when I'm waiting at a junction (i.e. if they indicate that they're turning off at the same junction I can pull out of the junction and carry on my way - just a common courtesy, surely?), driving at me on the wrong side of the road when they're overtaking parked cars, pulling out of junctions without looking, parking right on top of junctions/in cycle paths, clearly speeding (every single one of the "slow down" light boards that I passed on my ~30 mile ride through villages today were activated by cars near me), overtaking right before a pinch point and then holding me up (i.e. waiting to pass parked cars when I could have easily made it through if they hadn't just overtaken)

Most people got the idea of social distancing (2m gaps) when walking; is it that difficult to extend that idea to cyclists when driving? Apparently so.

Soldato
Saw one today - cyclist coming the other way on a dead straight half mile stretch of road, car coming up behind him so close the cyclist quickly got onto the verge - was nothing behind me at all so if the driver had slowed down for 2 seconds he would have had the whole road to go around in.

You know, whenever I am driving along and am confronted by somebody coming towards me making an ill advised overtake I will pull over and slow (Even stop on occasion. Almost did this just today actually) in order to give them the maximum space/time for them to complete the manoeuvre.

It is safer for the person being passed, the person doing the passing and, most important of all ;) ME!

Perhaps the question might be, why did you try to force the overtaking driver into the cyclist that he was trying to pass?

"Meh right of way" does not count as an answer.

Man of Honour
You know, whenever I am driving along and am confronted by somebody coming towards me making an ill advised overtake I will pull over and slow (Even stop on occasion. Almost did this just today actually) in order to give them the maximum space/time for them to complete the manoeuvre.

It is safer for the person being passed, the person doing the passing and, most important of all ;) ME!

Perhaps the question might be, why did you try to force the overtaking driver into the cyclist that he was trying to pass?

"Meh right of way" does not count as an answer.

You are reading stuff into that I didn't say and didn't happen. I slowed and pulled to the side but as I'm driving a large pickup truck that doesn't really accomplish much in terms of making space the other driver didn't even attempt to slow down, move over at all or wait for me to pass.

I'll see if I can find it on the dashcam later but coming to a stop in the circumstances wouldn't really have accomplished much as it wouldn't have changed the other driver's behaviour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom