1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurofighter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Norbert666, 22 May 2006.

1. Norbert666

Soldato

How cool is this plane?

Eurofighter Typhoon

It's from Duxford on Sunday. Apologies for the shaking camera; a) I had a hangover, b) that thing is damned fast and c) it is even damned louder!

It seemed to defy physics, almost turning at righ angles. Amazing. Just amazing and I'm not even into planes and stuff like that.

2. Wyrdo

Capodecina

404 :(

Edit: Bah it works now!

3. Norbert666

Soldato

sorted

4. dalex

Hitman

its a fly by computer job
    if the computer goes down so does it
    looks mint though

5. Stringy

Mobster

I'm going to get to 'control' some of those :D Looking forward to it muchly! Lovely planes.
    Pretty much all planes modern jets are like that, it's due to the inherently unstable nature of the aerodynamics, they only stay in the air due to constant adjustments by the computer.

6. Visage

PermaBanned

It would have been even better in the era it was designed for.

The money would have paid for a hell of a lot of doctors and nurses, instead of something designed to attack the now-defunct Soviet Union.

7. NathanE

Capodecina

That's why fly-by-wire planes have 3 identical computers running in parallel just in case two get a bullet through them.

Or something to defend our homeland and international interests per chance?

8. Norbert666

Soldato

Did you know one wing is built in Spain.... and the other in Italy! :rolleyes:

Still it sounds great; the video doesn't do it justice at all.

I want one. NOW!

9. iSam

Soldato

It's taken ages to design and build but it is a very very impressive aircraft.

10. Visage

PermaBanned

Yup. Worked really well on July 7th, didnt it?

11. KizZ

Soldato

Nice footage there :)

12. Darkwave

Capodecina

I live near BAE Warton, and trust me, it's not as exciting when you have to see and hear them all the bloody time. :p

13. NathanE

Capodecina

Good you agree. But no of course it didn't work on July 7th. It's a warplane, not an immigration control officer...

14. Visage

PermaBanned

We could afford a lot more immigration officials if we didnt spend so much money on an overpriced useless national penis extension.

15. Vix

Wise Guy

We went on holiday near there a good few years back , when the Eurofighter was called the Eurofighter (;)). Never saw the flippin thing :(

16. BurningHorizons

Wise Guy

Post of the year!
    Made me LOL did that. ;)

17. Will

Mobster

Way to show your ignorance....the Eurofighter was never designed to attack the Soviet Union, given its original role was air defence, and it possessed no air to ground capability as it was originally conceived - certainly it was incapable and never intended to attack the USSR as you suggest

The aircraft will eventually be multi-role capable anyway, not purely air to air as was its original role (the RAF are already testing a variety of air to ground ordnance on it).

As to whether the money could have been better spent elsewhere though , i'll agree to an extent, sure.

18. Visage

PermaBanned

OK, I'll concede the USSR point. but i stand firm that these 200-odd aircraft, procured at a cost of 16 billion quid, will be a massive waste of money, compared with what it could have been spent on.

19. Mr Bulbous

PermaBanned

Looks like this thread is going off on a tangent? Shame.

But back to the Typhoon ... I've seen an early demonstrator a few years ago at the RAF Leuchars air show, and it put up a very impressive performance (even on the Tornado engines it used back then) Easily more manoeuvrable than the F16's and Mig 29 on display.

If you think the Eurofighter (who's cost is shared with other European countries) is a waste of money, check out the price of a single US F22 Raptor :eek

20. Stringy

Mobster

The thing that most impresses me is the Meteor BVRAAM (Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile) that the Eurofighter will be able to use - A reported range of 100km+ :eek: