Even more Volvo perversion

Associate
Loving retro cars that are tuned up and driven with the stock / ratty look, Its just so unexpected, like the car has taken speed or something - awesome Volvo :p

Man of Honour
Mohinder said:
It's called fun. You can't put fun in Parker's or Glass' guide, which is probably why you don't seem to understand it.

But it's no sort of fun which cannot be equally obtained from something more modern and less.... erm, Volvoy, given the same amount of expenditure. Infact, you'd probably get even more fun by going bonkers on an old BM or something.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
But it's no sort of fun which cannot be equally obtained from something more modern and less.... erm, Volvoy, given the same amount of expenditure. Infact, you'd probably get even more fun by going bonkers on an old BM or something.

You're far too rational :p

Associate
I like modified cars. I like cars that can do what that one is doing. I like the fact that you can build your own performance car for a lot less than it costs to buy a somewhat boring passionless computerised new car.

But why such an ugly volvo. You can buy all sorts of non running/barely running 80's/90's coupes and sports cars for 1K or less so the cost of getting any old car you choose to that performance level is going to be broadly similar.

So why choose a volvo? Either some (skilled) mechanic simply needs to move on, or they have done it purely to stand out so they can run round posting vids to prove how 'individual' they are... and thats not 'cool' to me. So no, for me its on the far left of my cool wall.

Soldato
Ah so ugly yet so powerful.

Have to say, that's probably one of the nicest looking Volvo lumps I've seen under the bonnet though, actualy looked 'pretty'

Does look like a barrel of laughs in the right hands :D

Associate
Wicked!

Reminds me, came across a webpage a couple of years ago, some madman had done up a 2105 Lada with a supercharged Fiat Mirafiori engine and was drifting it round on rock hard springs :) IIRC he also had a Testarossa powered Lada Niva... got a vid of it somewhere...

Soldato
Why choose a Volvo - well it's even more unexpected, and as standard comes with a flexible easily tuned turbo setup.

A bit like a Sierra Cosworth but more tank like....

Associate
[TW]Fox said:

You're missing the point, young man. The point is, it ISN'T a Beemer, it's something different!

I'm sure those guys could have had fun doing crazy things with a more "appropriate" motor, but it wouldn't have been the same fun. :D

I may drive the ultimate in boring clonemobiles :p but I can still see and understand the fun and amusement that those guys get from doing something deeply strange.

We need more loonies like that, or like Penski, who want to do things because they are fun, not because they are sensible or cost-effective!

The reason for worrying about money is how to get the most fun out of it, and if your fun is different to other peoples, then so much the better.

Alan "Am I realy the old guy in this thread :) " Woodford

Soldato
Old cars rule, period.

I much prefer being a passenger in my mates 1978 Vaux Cavalier to any of my other mates cars. The seats are lovely, soft and comfy, the dials on the dash look too cool for school, it has proper shag pile carpet in the footwells... the list goes on.

They may not be faster, better handling, more reliable, as economical on fuel, or as "good" as their modern counterparts, but old cars are just cool!

PS - That Volvo rules :cool:

Soldato
Those cars do look good in the flesh,they are the greatest example of retro boxy chic Ive seen. Black with shiny alloys, I love those cars. They shouldnt look good ever in theory but sometimes they do.

Down with rounded off curves everywhere!

ndvd0020iq.jpg

They mod these cars a lot over in Sweden and elsewhere, the chassis doesnt twist but they do wheelspin a lot. You can see in the first vid he can barely accelerate in a straight line. Anyone on the DC++ network should know a lot of Sweden servers (they have amazing broadband over there) where you will find hundreds of videos with Volvos like this

http://rapidshare.de/files/11579284/240drift1.avi.html

Back
Top Bottom