Everyone is afraid to criticise Islam

Soldato
@if ®afiq said:
That is all that is being asked for. Nothing more and nothing less.

I wonder...

Only a couple of the 12 cartoons featured bomb/terrorism references if i recall correctly..If those 2 were not published, would we still have this outrage? I would imagine so.

Soldato
They have some very dodgy beards - you'd think for a culture where beards are so popular they'd have discovered mustard by now!

Associate
been hated by someone else does not mean you have to hate them back, does it make you feel better?. "Everyone is afraid to criticise Islam" are you serious?

Soldato
"Everyone is afraid to criticise" - Islam is not special in this, the world is now so politically correct that everyone is a victim of some form or other, and if anything bad happens its automatically assumed it was a hate/race/sex/religious crime

"oh noes someone has drawn a cartoon, we must exterminate them all" - wth people are waaaaay too grumpy and im pretty sure all religious texts would have a story about turning the other cheek

Soldato
DJammyRasta said:
"Everyone is afraid to criticise" - Islam is not special in this, the world is now so politically correct that everyone is a victim of some form or other, and if anything bad happens its automatically assumed it was a hate/race/sex/religious crime

"oh noes someone has drawn a cartoon, we must exterminate them all" - wth people are waaaaay too grumpy and im pretty sure all religious texts would have a story about turning the other cheek

My reply was sarcastic and meant to be taken as being flippant, or was it? ;)

Anyway, IMHO the reaction on their part just shows how childish and immature they are. To get wound up by a cartoon, and cause so much hassle is ridiculous and they need a reality check. Mind you they do look like the typical people you'd think of in B.C 2000 and they probably still think they are there the slow ********.

Soldato
Poliicians are afraid to criticise Islam, I don't think anyone else is.

Islam is the religion most prone to rampant fundamentalism - sure, there are plently of moderates but I can't help noticing the ratio of complete nutters to normal people seems way out of kilter compared to other mainstream faiths.

Could any other faith so easily whip up so many into a frenzy across the world over something so trivial?

Soldato
They can have their opinions, views and violent outrages and everyones running around like a headless chicken thinking of the best ways to apologise to them, for our views :confused:.

Women and children are being raped, stoned, hung and humiliated every single day in these countries, for the most petty of crimes or for simply being a non-believer; on a massive scale there and no doubt on some scale right here under our noses. Is it possible to be a non-believer in these countries?

Probably, but not without being outcast and spat upon every single day of your life.

It's the same as the German people being blinded by Hitler. I bet they can no longer believe their own people acted that way, and we never let them live it down.

It's these extremists that ruin it for all the good Muslims and, unfortunately, their are far far too many of these. We let them in and they blow us up. We give them chance after chance and dare not do otherwise. The whole nation is too scared to say or do anything.

Even when a man is murdered for his views and our own, innocent people, are blown up on their way to work.

It's not about throwing unnecessary insults, being polite or civilised. The bare bone fact is that these people are coming from warped states and countries of religion and in their minds, they're literally out of this world.

I hold a view and no doubt someone will come along and deem me uneducated to hold or believe in it.

And, just to point it out, of course I don't think this applies to every Muslim on the planet, don't even be daft enough to suggest I think this. I'm not as bad as these stupid Muslim Militants.

It's terrible that I even have to put that little disclaimer :(.

Soldato
UncleBob said:
Poliicians are afraid to criticise Islam, I don't think anyone else is.

Islam is the religion most prone to rampant fundamentalism - sure, there are plently of moderates but I can't help noticing the ratio of complete nutters to normal people seems way out of kilter compared to other mainstream faiths.

Could any other faith so easily whip up so many into a frenzy across the world over something so trivial?

I think there are a number of things that have come into play. Most of the protests have occured in the ME.

The Gaza offices were stormed...but rememebr a couple of days before the West was talking about punishing the Palestinians for democratically electing a new leadership.

Lebanon and Syria have the hand of the Baa'th party behind them, but it looks like the hardcore elements, like some of the Shi'te factions in Lebabon, took over the protests as a show of strength.

In Afghanistan you have had the desecration of the Qur'an and now this - also not too forget the ongoing occupation.

In Iraq we also have the ongoing occupation.

Things are not as black and white as people on here seem to think - there are many elements at play.

Soldato
You know - that whole thing about those cartoons, it's just another excuse for them to express their hatred towards us and our civilization. I think those cartoonists have some real balls, and as expected the hatred is shown straight away, it's meant as a joke...

Soldato
Yes, we know @if - but we also have cartoons of Jews, hate against Israel, the Muslim Nazi SS regiment and Palestinian promotion of Nazism - but the remaining problem is that Muslims have a sense of world-wide unequestionable politics as dictated by Allah - which leads to suicide bombs to kill and claim political ground in the name of Islam.
There are more Muslims opressing/killing Muslims everyday yet none of this is really mentioned is it? The fact that Hamas are forced to strap bombs to children is all the fault of the Jews perhaps?

As far as the original topic is concerned, the author is an ex-Muslim who was treated very badly in the name of religion in her original African country - she was part responsible for producing what got Theo Van Gough killed and to some extent she is right - criticism of Islam is possible, yet to Muslims it falls on deaf ears. Politicians are scared of Islam and until they realise that standing up for ourselves will result in less negative consequences than appeasement (just like with the Nazis) then this situation will get worse...

Oh, and I am unsure as to whether so many threads on Islam are useful...

Caporegime
Balddog said:
Surely if youre questioning it seriously, its hard to show respect?

If I thought it was a huge sham, along with other organised religions then its hard to be respectful. In effect id be labelling the whole thing a lie.

Like Sequoia said its all about intelligent debate and common courtesy...is that so hard to grasp??.
I can sit here and criticise other religions ie hindhuism...and why they feel the need to worship their many gods etc. In that past i have done but i have also done it with common courtesy and respect and as you said manners...simple as that.

Its quite ok to have free speech but does that mean it has to cause maximum offence??. i think this is what a lot of people cant understand, to me the cartoons didnt bother me that much that i felt i had to go and demonstrate. Yes i found them insulting and tbqh not very funny and to some they were funny and yet to some they were so insulted by it that they had to go and demonstrate against the cartoons etc etc.

But getting back on topic, i dont see any problem with criticising islam but at least have some manners when doing it. I really dont see the need to be offensive when asking or criticising someones religion etc.

Permabanned
Hirsi Ali, should be listened to, i agree with her completely, especially seen as shes had first hand experiance of it. Forced marriges should be against human rights, its basically rape.

Last edited:
Caporegime
willd58 said:
Hirsi Ali, should be listened to, i agree with her completely, especially seen as shes had first hand experiance of it. Forced marriges should be against human rights, its basically rape.

Yes definitely we should take her word as gospel because really shes the most unbiased source you could ever find isnt she??.

Associate
I heard an interview on radio 4 this morning with a couple of blokes who set up a counter demonstration to the anti-cartoon demos at the weekend, supporting the right to freedom of expression - the police arrested them on the charge of being likely to cause a breach of the peace. So it would seem it's ok to demonstrate in favour of chopping off someone's head if they have offended Islam, but supporting freedom of speech gets you arrested and bundled off to the police station, where surprise surprise the charges are dropped immediately after the Moslem demo is over.

Just remembered that the police did a similar thing a couple of years ago to supporters of the Free-Tibet movement when the Chinese PM visited London, so much for freedom of speech in this country these days.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spawn said:
Like Sequoia said its all about intelligent debate and common courtesy...is that so hard to grasp??.
I can sit here and criticise other religions ie hindhuism...and why they feel the need to worship their many gods etc. In that past i have done but i have also done it with common courtesy and respect and as you said manners...simple as that. .

Nobody is disputing that...but saying someones entire belief structure is a big fat lie is not respectful anyway you say it. People are still going to get offended. Perhaps not the intellectual who discusses such things, but the plebs certainly will be offended.

Soldato
wozzizname said:
I heard an interview on radio 4 this morning with a couple of blokes who set up a counter demonstration to the anti-cartoon demos at the weekend, supporting the right to freedom of expression - the police arrested them on the charge of being likely to cause a breach of the peace. So it would seem it's ok to demonstrate in favour of chopping off someone's head if they have offended Islam, but supporting freedom of speech gets you arrested and bundled off to the police station, where surprise surprise the charges are dropped immediately after the Moslem demo is over.

Just remembered that the police did a similar thing a couple of years ago to supporters of the Free-Tibet movement when the Chinese PM visited London, so much for freedom of speech in this country these days.

Those blokes would have been killed. Simple as...The police did the right thing.

The China thing was a bit different, that was far more political.

Caporegime
Balddog said:
Nobody is disputing that...but saying someones entire belief structure is a big fat lie is not respectful anyway you say it. People are still going to get offended. Perhaps not the intellectual who discusses such things, but the plebs certainly will be offended.

And i totally agree with you, there are idiots out there that will get offended no matter how politely you put criticism to them. Sadly that gets my goat, if someone criticises me or something i believe in then fair enough, i will answer them politely if they ask politely but if they get offensive and start ranting and raving then i would probably do the same in my answer. Guess thats human nature for you, i just think people are too sensitive towards some issues when really there is no need for it :).

Back
Top Bottom