Everyone is afraid to criticise Islam

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Balddog said:
Thats just manners.

Youre still essentially saying the same thing. That their entire belief structure is a false one.
Yes, I'd be saying that ..... or at least querying that. But doing so with some respect.

Anybody that believes in something as fundamental as a supreme being surely OUGHT to be able to justify why they believe that, if challenged, surely? If a non-believer isn't allowed to question, then the inference is that you have to be born into the religion in question and to accept it automatically, from birth, without question. Otherwise, how does anybody learn?

I had a long discussion with a Muslim on another forum, a few years back. I queried his views and beliefs. I didn't insult them, but I did question them. I challenged WHY he believed what he did, and asked him to justify it. When he gave answers, I went away, absorbed his answers and read up about what he'd told me, challenged him further, and so on. I showed him and his beliefs the respect of treating them both seriously and courteously, despite my evident non-belief. I read some of the Qur'an, I read some Islamic history, and so on.

We ended up as friends. I said I'd never seem the inside of a Mosque. I was invited to visit. I was invited to his home, and to eat with his family. To be honest, that seriously surprised me.

Yes, I questioned his beliefs, but at no point (that I'm aware of) did I show him or his beliefs a lack of courtesy or respect. In fact, by taking what he said seriously and putting in the effort to follow it up and do some study, I feel I treated his views with respect and, it seems, so did he. I may not understand, I may not agree and I certainly may not share his beliefs, but despite that, I was invited to his home. Unless he was planning on waiting for me with an unsheathed knife and a maniacal grin (;) :)) I had to assume he felt no lack of respect from my questioning and probing. If he was offended, I certainly saw no sign of it and Arabs aren't well-known for hiding offence or any slur on their honour, especially when anywhere near their families. My admittedly limited experience with Arabs (or Muslims, let alone Arab Muslims) is that they take respect, honour and family very, very seriously indeed.

Ultimately, I don't share his beliefs, but I certainly respect both him and his right to his beliefs. And, ultimately, since religious belief is a matter of faith not proof, neither of us can demonstrate beyond question that the other is wrong and one is right. That simple fact is the central problem behind so much religious turmoil and war over the centuries. A little more courtesy and respect for the views of others and their right to hold them would have saved a lot of grief and bloodshed ..... not to mention removing the trigger for the current furore.

That's why I have a bit of a dilemma personally, over these flippin' cartoons. I've looked at them and while I found a couple mildly amusing, I found none either funny or insulting. I also support people's rights to express views that I find insulting, providing they do it in a legal manner. I also didn't take the cartoons as referring specifically to the Prophet, or to be caricaturing all Muslims as terrorists. Then again, I'm not Muslim, so maybe I wouldn't take it that way. And that is part of the problem. The issue seems to be not so much the cartoons themselves and what is meant or implied by them, and THAT is a matter of interpretation. I see a bloke with a beard and a turban, others see the prophet or a representation of all Muslims. We both see things in the context of our own experiences and social context.

And that is why Westerners ought to appreciate that Muslims can find those cartoons highly insulting (and that that was an entirely predictable reaction). I don't find them insulting, but I would have predicted most or many (or all) Muslims to do so. But by the same token, the rioting and embassy-burning multitudes in the Middle East ought to be able to understand that not everybody sees things the way they do. Therein lies the basic cultural divide, and it will only be narrowed by calm discussion.

But it's evident (to me) that the Muslims commenting on this board don't see things the way the embassy burners (let alone suicide bomebrs) do. I would expect that in a face to face meeting with Asim or Spawn (to name but two) I could have a meeting where I questioned the tenets of their beliefs, and I'd expect a rational and moderate response. I'd also expect that from probably all but a few hundred of the 1.5 million (-ish) Muslims in the UK, but I don't know that I'd expect it from the embassy-burners.

Ultimately, Balddog, I respect Muslim's religious views because while I don't share them, or accept them, I can't PROVE I'm right and they're wrong. If the discussion was about a matter of fact, where I could prove beyond doubt that I was right and they were wrong, and they STILL held doggedly to those views despite that proof, I couldn't respect that. But I can't say that about Islam, or Christianity, or Blue-Mud worship. It could, just conceivably, be the Blue-Mud worshippers that have the truth of it, and we're ALL in for a tough time from a supreme being dressed in Blue Mud when we pass on. But I can't prove it either way, so I have to respect that any of these groups of believers might be right and I might be wrong, and that implies respecting the rights of individuals to make up their own minds about what they believe in.

In short, because I can't demonstrate, or even be sure myself, that I'm right and they're wrong, I'd regard it as arrogance to fail to treat the beliefs of others with respect, because it implies that despite that lack of proof, I can't accept that they could be right and I could be wrong.

Soldato
Sequoia said:
Ultimately, Balddog, I respect Muslim's religious views because while I don't share them, or accept them, I can't PROVE I'm right and they're wrong. If the discussion was about a matter of fact, where I could prove beyond doubt that I was right and they were wrong, and they STILL held doggedly to those views despite that proof, I couldn't respect that. But I can't say that about Islam, or Christianity, or Blue-Mud worship. It could, just conceivably, be the Blue-Mud worshippers that have the truth of it, and we're ALL in for a tough time from a supreme being dressed in Blue Mud when we pass on. But I can't prove it either way, so I have to respect that any of these groups of believers might be right and I might be wrong, and that implies respecting the rights of individuals to make up their own minds about what they believe in.

In short, because I can't demonstrate, or even be sure myself, that I'm right and they're wrong, I'd regard it as arrogance to fail to treat the beliefs of others with respect, because it implies that despite that lack of proof, I can't accept that they could be right and I could be wrong.

That was a huge post..thanks for taking the time :cool:

I agree with you in most of what you said...Im in a similar place to you..

However, do you think those muslims in the middle east who are burning down embassies and calling for the blood of europe would be as willing as your friend to calmly discuss the merits of Islam?

Considering that this whole mess was whipped up by a few extremist clerics who spread the cartoons along with fake cartoons throughout the world. I doubt very much whether this situation would have been any different had the more offensive cartoons been removed.

Also, lets not forget that this isnt just about cartoons..The context is hugely important. We have(in their view) the middle east seeing muslim countrys slowly being invaded one after another, we have islam villified the world over, we have the oil being exploited, we have Israel being supported...Then along come these cartoons and things just explode.

I think it could have been anything that sparked this outburst. It was well overdue in my opinion.

Caporegime
Sequoia said:

Very nice post and very well put together sequoia, one of the best posts i have seen on here regarding islam :). The fact that you respect his beliefs or any muslims belief is good enough for me, not once have you shown me any contempt for my beliefs, in fact on a few ocassions you have sympathised with me and the way i feel about this whole thing. Thats the sort of person i respect because in a way you have shown me respect for my beliefs, granted you dont agree with them but u still respect my beliefs and that to me means a lot :).

Caporegime
Balddog said:

However, do you think those muslims in the middle east who are burning down embassies and calling for the blood of europe would be as willing as your friend to calmly discuss the merits of Islam?

Considering that this whole mess was whipped up by a few extremist clerics who spread the cartoons along with fake cartoons throughout the world. I doubt very much whether this situation would have been any different had the more offensive cartoons been removed.

Also, lets not forget that this isnt just about cartoons..The context is hugely important. We have(in their view) the middle east seeing muslim countrys slowly being invaded one after another, we have islam villified the world over, we have the oil being exploited, we have Israel being supported...Then along come these cartoons and things just explode.

I think it could have been anything that sparked this outburst. It was well overdue in my opinion.

Your probably spot on, ive always felt that its only a matter of time before the frenzy with islam starts again...last yr it was the london bombings and before that it was the 9/11 attacks and madrid bombings etc etc.

The way i see it, things can only get worse especially here in the UK....im just hoping ill be long gone before theres an all out war here.

Soldato
Did anybody watch Newsnight last night with the debate on Islam and The West?

That hard-line Muslim guy said "There is not Britain on Islam" or words to that effect when question on Muslim Law vs British Law.

He wasn't too happy about the other Muslim woman who didn't have her face covered.

Entertaining program but somewhat scary...

Permabanned
Spawn said:
Yes definitely we should take her word as gospel because really shes the most unbiased source you could ever find isnt she??.
I dont disagree with anything she said there, no need to get all sarcy and try and claim i think shes god herself :rolleyes:, her other policies might be terrible when it comes to running a country, but when it comes to the Islamic terror, youd be hard pressed to discredit her with anything other than

"She is an afront to Allah, JIHAD JIHAD KEKEKEKEKEKE"

Caporegime
willd58 said:
I dont disagree with anything she said there, no need to get all sarcy and try and claim i think shes god herself :rolleyes:, her other policies might be terrible when it comes to running a country, but when it comes to the Islamic terror, youd be hard pressed to discredit her with anything other than

"She is an afront to Allah, JIHAD JIHAD KEKEKEKEKEKE"

It was meant as a light hearted joke, stop getting your knickers in a twist:p. Perhaps she is right and perhaps she isnt, i looked over it quickly and really didnt find anything different to what other people have said about islam in the past.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Balddog said:

No, I don't think the embassy-burners would necessarily be prepared to sit and discuss it calmly .... at least, not when they're part of a mob and one not only feeling insulted but, for all I know, being worked up into a frenzy by those with an agenda.

But none of that changes the fact that I feel I both can, and should, treat other's religious views with respect, even while questioning them and that, after all, was my original point .... that it is possible to believe someone's beliefs are groundless, yet still treat them and their views with respect.

And, ultimately, I don't treat others views with respect in the anticipation or expectation of getting the same courtesy returned. I do it because I think it's the right thing to do, regardless of whether they return the respect. If I were to treat Muslim's views with contempt just because I disagree with them, or because the the radical extreme would like to deprive me of my right to exist, then I become what the radical extreme accuse me of.

Several Muslim members here have said, more or less, that they're sick of explaining themselves and pointing out "that nut doesn't represent me", every time some extremist commits an outrage in the name of Islam, because they feel no notice is taken and it is ultimately pointless. And I can't say I blame them. I'd probably feel the same way.

It's one area where I part company with Spawn, though. I don't feel his protestations or explanations are achieving nothing. The way things are at the moment, I think that the more the moderate majority stand up and say that the extremists don't represent them, the harder it is for the extremists to claim that they do.

This is not to say that the moderates have a duty to do it, but simply that it is a constructive thing to do, even if the small number of usual candidates for a "debate" aren't likely to change their minds.

I watched Newsnight last might, and to have that radical (Choudhary??) being rejected and dismissed by three different Muslims counts far more in dismissing his ranting than it would if a hundred Western politicians dismissed him. If you can say "I'm a Muslim and you DON'T reflect my views", it deflates the claim to represent the majority. Looking to the future, it seems we are going to have to face the fact that extremists can kill and maim with their bombs, but however horrible their actions, that isn't the real war. The real war is hearts and minds, and those extremists would like nothing more than for the citizens of the West to hold any and all Muslims responsible for the outrages of the extremist minority. Only in that way can the extremists actually win. Only by causing non-Muslims to react in a way that makes the ravings of this minority self-fulfilling will they achieve the reaction they want.

That's why Spawn, and Asim, and others should (IMHO, of course) continue to shout "not in my name" loudly and frequently, even if the message doesn't seem to get through. The minority voice is only heard when the majority stay silent. And if the majority stay silent, the risk is that the minority voice is taken to represent the majority, and the resentment and potential backlash that entails threatens to grant the troublemakers what they were seeking .... a clash of cultures.

Permabanned
Spawn said:
It was meant as a light hearted joke, stop getting your knickers in a twist:p. Perhaps she is right and perhaps she isnt, i looked over it quickly and really didnt find anything different to what other people have said about islam in the past.

Heh, its a good read and she makes what are borderline racist comments very well so they dont get anywhere near racism and put across in a decent manner.

Soldato
Two thousand years ago Christians were on the spot light.
Then it was the Jews
Now its the Muslims
Its a sad phase for religions to go through.
Unfortunately it happens :(

Soldato
a lot of Islam talk these days.

It seems I cant get through a meal without some guy declaring a terrorist act in the name of Islam. Looney foreigners :p

Caporegime
Sequoia said:
It's one area where I part company with Spawn, though. I don't feel his protestations or explanations are achieving nothing. The way things are at the moment, I think that the more the moderate majority stand up and say that the extremists don't represent them, the harder it is for the extremists to claim that they do.

This is not to say that the moderates have a duty to do it, but simply that it is a constructive thing to do, even if the small number of usual candidates for a "debate" aren't likely to change their minds.

I watched Newsnight last might, and to have that radical (Choudhary??) being rejected and dismissed by three different Muslims counts far more in dismissing his ranting than it would if a hundred Western politicians dismissed him. If you can say "I'm a Muslim and you DON'T reflect my views", it deflates the claim to represent the majority. Looking to the future, it seems we are going to have to face the fact that extremists can kill and maim with their bombs, but however horrible their actions, that isn't the real war. The real war is hearts and minds, and those extremists would like nothing more than for the citizens of the West to hold any and all Muslims responsible for the outrages of the extremist minority. Only in that way can the extremists actually win. Only by causing non-Muslims to react in a way that makes the ravings of this minority self-fulfilling will they achieve the reaction they want.

That's why Spawn, and Asim, and others should (IMHO, of course) continue to shout "not in my name" loudly and frequently, even if the message doesn't seem to get through. The minority voice is only heard when the majority stay silent. And if the majority stay silent, the risk is that the minority voice is taken to represent the majority, and the resentment and potential backlash that entails threatens to grant the troublemakers what they were seeking .... a clash of cultures.

Hmm fair enough, i guess we will agree to disagree although i can see what point your trying to make. Personally its got to the stage that ive done my ranting and raving and explaining to people that these extremists dont represent muslims as a whole but sadly some people are too pig headed to acknowledge that. So like you said before you kinda get fed up of having to say the same thing over and over again and as i mentioned a few days ago in the anti islam thread, i have got to that stage now. If other muslims want to voice their opinions then fair enough, good on them and may they get somewhere:). But me personally i havent the time nor the energy to commit myself to that, although im pretty confrontational as it is so i will probably voice my opinions now and again to anyone who will listen. If i ever feel that me putting my voice against these extremists would help then i would without a moments hesitation do it. As far as im concerned, i cant see it really helping..perhaps im pessimistic in that regards but who knows what might happen.
Our biggest stumbling block for the moderate muslims in this country and around the world is the media, if we cant get them on our side then what hope have we got???. Its the media ie tv and papers that get these stories out to the general public and the way i see it is that they will only report the stories which will get them the highest figures in tv viewing or papers being sold. That demonstration on fri in london was meant to be a peaceful attempt at trying to resolve this cartoon problem, it ended up being invaded by the extremist element with their stupid placards and that numpty who dressed up like one. Problem is most of them were the new generation of muslims, young and naive and they were and are being brainwashed by these so called mad mullahs etc. I can tell you this...most of them probably dont even know why they were demonstrating that day...yes they would say because of these cartoons but 99% of them idiots probably dont know what the real reason behind the demonstration was. But this is all IMHO though, its how i see it and until things change i wont be changing my viewpoint. Much like the way i see a lot of muslim haters around here and in the real world...call it paranoia...i dont...if i was that paranoid about it then i would have been long gone to some other country. But as of yet i havent been racially or religiously abused in the street, i like a simple easy life and thats all im working for, id rather keep my head down and concentrate on the more important things in my life ie my family and my future..which at the moment is very much at stake...not due to these cartoons but other personal reasons.

Phew anyways sorry for going off topic there lol:p...but thanks sequoia for at least seeing it from my point of view and having the courtesy to respect how i feel and what i believe in and not villify me for it:).

Caporegime
eXSBass said:
Two thousand years ago Christians were on the spot light.
Then it was the Jews
Now its the Muslims
Its a sad phase for religions to go through.
Unfortunately it happens :(

Indeed it does and yes it very sad but there will come a time when all this will be done and over with hopefully, personally i hope its sooner rather than later:). Last thing we need is a religious war:(

Soldato
Spawn I agree with you in some respect that without the media helping us portray a better of image of muslims we'll always be seen as the bad guy.

Soldato
asim said:
Spawn I agree with you in some respect that without the media helping us portray a better of image of muslims we'll always be seen as the bad guy.

Sarcasm aside, Muslims are given a very good write up in the media. We have constant disclaimers on their behaviour, and constantly told about how we shouldn't compare 'extremists' and 'moderates' - the problem is that the worst parts of Islam have a skill at advertsing themselves.

You say you would want the media on your side, but what more could you possibly ask? For them to ignore the bad parts? We already have programmes devoted to expressing how decent Islam is which nobody would have bothered with before 9/11

Soldato
Its a step by step process. Its not asking for one thing. Media is an important part of it and thats why I've said that. The idea is to get the point across that the majority of us are not idiots. Our religion is based on peace and we do not support the actions of the few that decide to resort to violence.

From there as a society, not individual religious groups but as the british community we must work together to find an end to these terrorist and violent acts.

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Sarcasm aside, Muslims are given a very good write up in the media. We have constant disclaimers on their behaviour, and constantly told about how we shouldn't compare 'extremists' and 'moderates' - the problem is that the worst parts of Islam have a skill at advertsing themselves.

You say you would want the media on your side, but what more could you possibly ask? For them to ignore the bad parts? We already have programmes devoted to expressing how decent Islam is which nobody would have bothered with before 9/11

I'm not even going to lie to you. I really do agree with what you're saying. But don't you think you're stereo typing a tad bit there. No doubt a lot of muslims in thier numbers do cause violence and terror and go against thier Muslim ways of peace. However, compare that number to the Muslim population and you'll see its a very small ratio indeed. Its a minority :)

Soldato
asim said:
Its a step by step process. Its not asking for one thing. Media is an important part of it and thats why I've said that. The idea is to get the point across that the majority of us are not idiots.

Do the media portray Muslims as idiots?
Do the media demonise Muslims - or is it the case that the media make every effort possible to disassociate the terrroists with Islam?

Our religion is based on peace and we do not support the actions of the few that decide to resort to violence.

This is an interesting idea... when you say that the majority you do not support those who wish to use violence - what do you mean by support?
Are you saying you would not help a fellow Muslim if he expressed views that seemed 'stronger' than your own?
Are you saying that you do not share the political views of extremists, even if you do not agree with their methods?
Are you saying that no extremist has ever prayed next to a moderate Muslim?
Can you be sure that you have not contributed money to an Islamic organisation/charity that uses or promotes usage of violence?
Can you be sure that no extremism has been organised even in part at any mosque?

From there as a society, not individual religious groups but as the british community we must work together to find an end to these terrorist and violent acts.

Stopping these acts are paramount. I think it will take hard work on both sides.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do the media portray Muslims as idiots?
I think those that resort to violence for the wrong reasons look like idiots and thats the majority of whats seen regarding muslims in the media.

Do the media demonise Muslims - or is it the case that the media make every effort possible to disassociate the terrroists with Islam?
I dont think the media necessarily demonises muslims but theres always an assumption when theres a terrorist act blame the Islamic groups first.

This is an interesting idea... when you say that the majority you do not support those who wish to use violence - what do you mean by support?
Ok how about I put it this way. I do not support wrong acts committed in the name of Islam. Meaning violence or even threats made in the name of Islam when clearly its an individual or group who feel this way and not the majority members of the religion.

Are you saying you would not help a fellow Muslim if he expressed views that seemed 'stronger' than your own?
I'd support the cause depending on what it is but if this muslims views were about harming others then I dont think I could support that.

Are you saying that you do not share the political views of extremists, even if you do not agree with their methods?
I am a member of the British community in which I quite happily lived. If I shared the views of the extremists I would be at the protests with them.

Are you saying that no extremist has ever prayed next to a moderate Muslim?
Most likely they have.

Can you be sure that you have not contributed money to an Islamic organisation/charity that uses or promotes usage of violence?
Can you be sure that no extremism has been organised even in part at any mosque?
I contribute only to a mosque I know of in a town 20 minutes from my home. My dad and I have known them for many many years. Very hard working men.

I'm sure extremism has been organised in a mosque somewhere around the world. But I'm sure its been done in other places of worship aswell.

Violence is not the answer. Its a last resort. Countries go to war, thats violence. But I hope that everything was done before hand to talk it out before it had to come down to war. I would fight in the name of Islam but I wouldnt do it for the wrong reasons and I would not fight just for the hell of it. I equate it to the same as fighting for my country. I'd do it if I had to. But it should be a last resort.

Truthfully I'd rather live my life peacefully. Live by the laws of my country. Keep my religion to myself. And let God pass judgement on those that do wrong. Theres nothing wrong with that?

Back
Top Bottom