Everything sold out

Soldato
Everything Cube seems to be out of stock, not just bikes. I need a new shock pump and thought I'd go for a Cube one to match the bike but can't find one anywhere. Would be far easier if Cube actually sold them direct.

Soldato
can I ask your advice....

I want to get a Cube Stereo 120. Normally I would pop along to my LBS and sit on one for size but with no stock anywhere that is hard to do.

I'm on a Cube Acid 21" at the moment and the size is fine for me (187cm tall and inside leg of 84cm) ape index is *just* over 1.

I'm going to be using it for pretty chill rides - typically 25miles on byways, bridleways and bits of single track. The main reason I want to change is for comfort, at 53 my lower back really does not appreciate the bumps and jolts of tree roots on the downhill bits even if the rest of me enjoys it!

The cube website says I am between the XL (22") and L (20") which makes sense given the 21" acid I have at the moment.

So two questions:

1) What size would people suggest?
2) @Jonny ///M if I ordered a bike from you guys today (say the Stereo 120 Race), what sort of lead time would I be looking at?

Cheers!

Man of Honour
The cube website says I am between the XL (22") and L (20") which makes sense given the 21" acid I have at the moment.

This is something that has recently upset me after 10 years and I feel like going back to the shop and having it out with them.
The first bike I had was a really bad choice, I knew bugger all about bikes and took the advice of 3 professional shops who all suggested road bikes when I had explicitly explained what surfaces I'd be riding on and I'd be riding all year round no matter what the weather.
I picked what I thought was the best shop, chose my bike and went to be professionally measured for it - I was a 23". I asked if they were sure but insisted I was 23" so I ordered the bike.
Every time I stopped at traffic lights or junctions I'd have to drop down to the frame and it would batter me in my veg which I didn't think was right. After 4 months and a bad accident I never rode it again.
I went to Halfords and immediately, because I was 5ft 6ins, they put me on a 17" frame and my 4 bikes since have all been 17" which are perfect.
Rant over (well it isn't actually)

Soldato
I'm 5'10 with a 32" inside leg and my Cube Reaction TM is a small (16"). I tried all the different sizes and strangely, even though I usually go for a medium frame, the small frame on this particular bike fitted me perfectly and was the most comfortable.

Man of Honour
I recently started riding again as it helps with my mental health and I've also lost 3 stone doing so, which a nice plus. I was bought a Flanders carbon which was 18 years old, last year. It was put together for about £200, which is peanuts. Now I've had my fair share of trouble with it, but mostly maintenance issues. Punctures have been a nightmare because of the state of the roads up here. Between me and my dad who I ride with, we've had 7 punctures and 2 shredded tyres in 7 weeks!

However, I've 2 decent shops locally and both have been struggling with stock and supplies. The shop nearest me cannot get kids bikes or anything under £1000 until July at the earliest, but they've such a back log in orders they think they wont see some normality until nearer christmas! The other shop is okay for things like tubes and tyres, and they've a fair share of Bianchi bikes in stock, but anyting like kids bikes or small adult bikes are off the menu for now. Plus as has been mentioned, prices are now going through the roof. It's all about maintaining now as there is so little new stock. The shop that sold me my back offered me £500 to buy it back, which I declined because it's so important for me.

The problem has been created by the Covid situation, and Brexit has just compounded it. These shops are as busy as ever, but they can't see a "normal" service resuming for 2-3 years.

Soldato
@Hodders

Looking at Geometry I'd say Large on that model. The bike, even with the steeper seat tube angle and slacker head tube angle, has a longer reach and lower stack than your 21" Acid as it's more race orientated. Usually steeper seat angle and slacker head angle make the reach shorter as the two lines would converge eventually.

I'm 5' 11" and my last full sus 27" was a medium with a 442 reach and 611 stack. you're 6' 1" and I'd feel the 22" would be like a gate to ride.

We are really only getting what we still have on back order from last year at the moment. A few Analogs, Attentions, Nuroads, SL Roads and Attain Race/Pro/SL so not much. Hoping to hear about pre ordering/getting allocated/rationed stock for 2022 in June time but they might not hit shops until the end of the year or start of next year.

Shortage of parts will be the next thing, Cannondale have stuck Microshift gearing on lower end hardtails due to supply issues. Some parts are showing well into this year for pretty standard well used parts and popular cassettes are getting limited to 10 per month via the UK distributor.

Was looking for an 11-29 Centaur Campag cassette and they're out everywhere.

Associate
Finally managed to get an order in on Wiggle with my cyclescheme voucher, ended up using a stock watcher so i knew exactly when it was in stock and dry runs of contacting their customer service to know everything they'd require prior to putting in a quote request.
Just had a dispatch notification so bike should be here in a day or so, yippee!
I did want to support my local shops, but that meant i'd have to get a bike that was my second choice, and one of them was passing on the CycleScheme charge (10%) to the customer so was a giant no...

Soldato
Yeah that's a ball ache, we aren't doing it but know we shops do.

We refused delivery of a bike as margin wise it was absolutely woeful if you put it through on a Halfords cyclescheme.

Someone somewhere must be making proper money but it isn't a LBS.

Soldato
The percentage cuts by these companies is ridiculous, especially as it's % and obviously the admin once above 1k isn't any harder. Know they were looking at it to make it capped. It's definitely not as lucrative as it used to be, especially if you're tied in to halfords.

Associate
I had really no idea it had changed so much as this is the first time I had looked in to it properly, wasn't even aware that it led to reduced profits to the shop but guess that's my ignorant view of it all.

Will definitely be hitting up the LBS for all accessories and whatnot with cash purchases

Back
Top Bottom