• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA user has done a GTX480 Review

Soldato
captureby.jpg

Permabanned
Noise + temps are not bad either

I meant to say this before - I really dont know how anyone can conclude this when the card was running at 76 degrees at 100% fan speed.

This is just dishonesty, this thing runs hotter at default fan settings than an I7 at 4.4 Ghz. Dont forget that the GTX 480 already uses a very powerful direct contact heatpipe cooler too.

Soldato
It's on the EVGA forums that when the 480 has its fan set to 70% " apparently you can't hardly hear it over case fans at 70% " the temps hardly ever surpass 70c, now if that's true, it's a very good way to control temps instead of having the fan kick in at 95c and then having trouble to control the temps.

Permabanned
This is the actual test picture of this very EVGA card that I am referring to:

800_1600_2000.jpg

The 70% fan speed and 70 degrees isnt the actual result, this one here is.

Soldato
I have just been reading another thread from an evga forum member and he is saying that the fan is smaller on the gtx480 by 15mm than the 280gtx.

gtx480 65mm vs 80mm 280gtx

The gtx480 also looks a bit shorter.

Why would nvidia put a smaller fan on a hot card. It just doesn't make sense? A smaller fan means more noise to get similar cfm as bigger fan. :confused:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=288625

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have just been reading another thread from an evga forum member and he is saying that the fan is smaller on the gtx480 by 15mm than the 280gtx.

gtx480 65mm vs 80mm 280gtx

The gtx480 also looks a bit shorter.

Why would nvidia put a smaller fan on a hot card. It just doesn't make sense? A smaller fan means more noise to get similar cfm as bigger fan. :confused:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=288625

Very hard to judge fan size externally, some blower fans have tiny fins that are what, 3-4mm long, some have fins that are 10-15mm long, so more of the fan could be hidden underneath, also different fans are designed to push at different pressures, a smaller fan with a smaller exhaust area can produce a higher speed flow of air. The 480gtx also has an intake on the rear aswell as the front, meaning a larger opening one side might not be required.

The biggest problem is, one persons quiet, is another persons chainsaw level noise.

Same goes for case fans, one person has 10 120mm delta's and he can't hear the gpu over them, someone else has one uber slow can't be heard 240mm side panel fan.

The only real way to judge, is to hear a side by side comparison yourself, or really the [H] video's seem to suggest that the 480gtx are quite significantly louder than a 5870, and a little louder than a 5970, idle and load.

I think, considering the majority of reviews suggest the fan is indeed pretty loud at 40-50% it seemed to run idle, and very loud at 70-100%, you'd have to accept the guy who has one on those forums, is deaf, or used to delta's blowing all day long. Will be a great day when BOTH companies start to realise that 99.999% of buyers use a single gfx card, that 99.9% of cases used could take a card pretty much twice as wide, and most users would welcome a 4 slot silent cooling, massive sink version for the same price.

Yes sli/xfire users, and I've used both, will want slimmer versions, make both, most people don't use sli/xfire, I could fit a TRUE heatsink upsidedown on the gpu with the 120mm fan exhausting the air out of all the pci bracket slots with no issue and have stupidly better cooling, completely silent which would make their cards last longer also.

bee

bee

Associate
http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=288630

Also notice the GPU temps don't even break 65C with the fan speed set to 70%....this is stock of course but again, I don't see temps being a problem at all under normal gaming scenarios provided you have decent case airflow and you manually set the fan duty cycle to ~70%.

sounds good temperature wise whilst running an actual game rather than a pointless benchmark. always ran my 8800 and gtx 260 cards at around those fan speeds when in game, with gradual fan speed increases using rivatuner

Associate
That crysis bench on the 5870 was pants!
Heard that the 5870s really struggle with newer dx11 games aswell (will have to dig out link of a post on this forum that stated that fps would regularly dip to 15 on metro 2033 with eye candy up)
seems tad off that a high spec card can't manage current games at high res and IQ up without stuttering surely?
Does the 480 stutter as much in metro 2033 at same settings?
I'm in Market for new computer and don't like what I'm seeing! What happens when newer games come out that use dx11 even more???!!!

Found it:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18133499

anyone else having similiar problems?

Will the 480 play games like metro 2033 (and by implication other simiar future games) better?

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, marginally DOF and tesselation on sucks framerate wise on both 480 and 5870, DOF is the worst effect i've seen, massive framerate hit for somethign that just blurs part of the screen, DOF in that sense just doesn't work as an effect. Unfortunately in real life you can move your eyes to look left a bit, or focus where ever you want at any given time without moving your head. Adding DOF to a screen, which chooses a single point to focus, doesn't add realism, just blurryness where it shouldn't be.

The game simply looks worse with it on and runs fine with it off. at 1920x1200, full settings with dof and tess on my 5850 overclocked gets somewhere like 18-20fps average, regularly dipping into the low 10's and its awful, turn DOF off, which actually increases the IQ, and my framerate jumps to around 45fps average maybe, lows of 25, highs of 60+, turn tesselation off, which you honestly can not at all see the effects of as you actually play in 99.9% of situations, and you go to around a 60fps average. Its entirely playable, and really does look quite good, unfortunately the game sucks utter balls, but looks purdy doing it. The 480gtx is faster, but not massively. Keep in mind its a 480gtx launch title, it uses every Nvidia trick in the book and given the lack of IQ improvement with DOF, and the utter waste of tesselation usage in the game most people feel its a game coded to run as badly as possible to make the 480gtx shine as much as possible on launch.

If the 480gtx was genuinely faster and DOF and Tesselation were massive IQ improvements that warranted the framerate hit(which is large o nthe 480gtx also, just slightly less so) that would be one thing, but DOF reduces IQ and most people prefer it off, tesselation smooths things like, other characters sleeves and cuffs a bit, the odd helmet is marginally rounder, actually walking around you can't see these very minute details, the difference between tesselation on/off in uniengine....... Metro doesn't come even close to that level of difference, and few games will for a couple years.

As for the Crysis benchmark, keep in mind that the 480gtx, is also using a hex core 980x, not a 920. Likewise, the minimum fps on the 5870, was 22(albeit at a lower res) the min fps on the 480gtx, was 0.29fps, I wouldn't call that playable, change both to 4xaa and you've got a perfectly smooth game at the same res on both setups.

Bee, you don't have the same fan on your 8800 and 260gtx, 70% of 20,000 rpm, and 70% of 10rpm, would offer VERY different noise levels.

Unfortunately as I said, its down to actually experiencing it or taking the majority word on the matter. The vast majority of reviews said it was significantly louder than a 58xx card, and a 285gtx/280gtx, etc.

Likewise, you can't compare fan % and noise to AMD, my 5850 is basically silent up to about 30%, it runs at 24% idle, and I can't hear it over case fans, around 34% it starts to become louder but not bad in any way, just slightly different pitch above my very quiet case fans. At 45% its irritatingly loud and above 60% its just unbearable, overclocked and overvolted I've never seen it go above 38% in any game yet though.

% comparisons aren't really useful unless it has the same fan, even then the same fan can be programmed to do different speeds. One card might choose a fan's maximum speed at 100% is 5k rpm, and another company using the same fan might decide 100% is 10k rpm.

The only hard evidence I can point to is the videos on the 480gtx review on hardocp.com then you've got another big problem, does every brand use the same bios, same fan settings and will 100% be the same on every 480gtx you buy, who the heck knows :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom