• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA user has done a GTX480 Review

Associate
Found it:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18133499

anyone else having similiar problems?
DX11 Very High @ 1680 on 2x5870 runs at a bulletproof 60 fps for me; 1080p would not have been a problem but I figured beforehand that such a short game wouldn't be worth the lugging of everything to the TV. Might do so for any second playthrough actually...

As for that dude, he has Advanced (Nvidia GPU) PhysX and tesselation turned on, options that together will shred his performance to bits. Bear in mind that to run GPU PhysX with an ATi card as primary requires a hacked driver set and some prayer; impossible to know (without him testing and telling us) if his 9600gt was being used and even if it was, it's still going to devour performance for very little gain.

Will the 480 play games like metro 2033 (and by implication other simiar future games) better?

A single 480 would also choke with those particular options enabled. Allow for a 50% higher minimum and you'd still be looking at a whole 22 fps.

As for other recent DX11 games, 5870 is faster than GTX 480 in Bad Company 2 and by a surprisingly large margin. 62fps plays 49fps at 1920 res.

Associate
First user benchmark of Crysis taken from the evga forum. :)

Warhead.jpg
stock 5870 since 900 isn't really worth overclocking.

temperature never exceeds 70c with my tweaked fan that stays under 40% when it's below 75c. more audible than ATI stock setting, but ATI stock will make temperature raise to 75 or 80c.

a very big performance difference between 480 and 5870.

25_Untitled.jpg

Soldato
How can anyone say that temps are manageable when using 100% fanspeed? No one games using those fanspeeds and I'm sure the noise is DEAFENING. I have trouble believing a 480 sounds the same as a 280 at 100% fanspeed, but even if that's the case the 280 at 100% is crazy, insanely loud.

Soldato
@gurusan
i run my 8800GT and 280GTX @100% (max temp on my 280 gets to 84oC) when im overclocking i game with headphones so dont hear them even when headphones off its not bad maybe the p182 muffling the sound?

You could have damaged your ears. Running 100% 24/7 would probably be considered a hazardous environment in a workplace, health & safety would be all over it! :p

Soldato
wuyanxu - Thanks for posting up your crysis scores. Here is mine on my 4870X2 at stock speeds taken in June of last year.

crysisx8aa.jpg

Drunken - I totally agree companies like nvidia and ati could give us better stock cooling with larger fans and larger heatsinks. I water cool my cards in my main rig so it doesnt really effect me. If what that user was saying is true and the fan is smaller on the 480 than the 280 then thats a crazy thing to do. I am looking forward to seeing what sort of temps I will get with a waterblock and a 480gtx. My 4870X2 used to idel at 75-78 and load all the way upto 102c. Once I put a waterblock on it temsp went down to 32c at idle and never went over 45c load. :)

DeeJayCee - Have a read of this review on Metro 2033 by Hardocp. It shows the limits of the current dx11 cards when playing this game. It makes for a very interesting read.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/04/05/metro_2033_directx_11_gameplay_performance_iq

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/04/06/metro_2033_image_quality_followup

Soldato
As for other recent DX11 games, 5870 is faster than GTX 480 in Bad Company 2 and by a surprisingly large margin. 62fps plays 49fps at 1920 res.

BC2 on most sites has the 480 ahead of the 5870. The reviews vary so much its hard to know which one is right.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware
/nvidia_geforce_gtx_480_470_performance/page14.asp

Firing squad have the 480gtx ahead at 1920 as does hardwarecanucks

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/30321-nvidia-geforce-gtx-470-review-14.html

Soldato
Associate
@ wuyanxu. can you do a run at 1680x1050, cheers.

480 is clocked to 800 on the core and 100% fan speed.
why, okay:

not sure why my minimal FPS is so low compared to yours..... may be cos i do have Vsync forced on in CCC due to i hate tearing. and mipmap detail at highest quality, AA is multi-sample everything else application setting.

26_Untitled.jpg

Associate
Razor Time, thanks for the link. Seems there isn't much between the 5870 and 480 until quality settings are cranked up then 480 runs away with it.

Shame there aren't more dx11 games about to really firm an opinion on. Though I did see quite a few games in the pipeline using the unigine engine, sobhopefully more scene tesselation rather than just on the character models we see in current dx11 games.

Tough time to be buying a gfx card!!! Decisions!

Permabanned
http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=288630

sounds good temperature wise whilst running an actual game rather than a pointless benchmark. always ran my 8800 and gtx 260 cards at around those fan speeds when in game, with gradual fan speed increases using rivatuner

I see absolutely no evidence of the fan being set to 70% with just 65 degrees, only 100% fan speed and 76 degrees.

My cards heat up just as much in lots of games as they do under Furmark, and Ive also had a dead 4870 as a result of this.

I speak from experience when I state that load temps under benchmark utilities such as furmark will be reached when playing many games. There are maybe a few games out there that do not stress the GPUs as much, but the majority of games will utilize the graphics cards to 100% load. I know for certain that Battleforge is one of these, and if you get 95 degrees load temps in Furmark, you will definately see 95 degrees at least in that game (I actually got higher load temps in Battleforge on both my 4870s and 5770s than I get in Battleforge).

The GTX 480 does not operate at 65 degrees with just 70% fan speed, maybe that was its idle temperature or something.

bee

bee

Associate
I see absolutely no evidence of the fan being set to 70% with just 65 degrees, only 100% fan speed and 76 degrees.

My cards heat up just as much in lots of games as they do under Furmark, and Ive also had a dead 4870 as a result of this.

I speak from experience when I state that load temps under benchmark utilities such as furmark will be reached when playing many games. There are maybe a few games out there that do not stress the GPUs as much, but the majority of games will utilize the graphics cards to 100% load. I know for certain that Battleforge is one of these, and if you get 95 degrees load temps in Furmark, you will definately see 95 degrees at least in that game (I actually got higher load temps in Battleforge on both my 4870s and 5770s than I get in Battleforge).

The GTX 480 does not operate at 65 degrees with just 70% fan speed, maybe that was its idle temperature or something.

i see....even though he pastes screens running batman benchmark and gpu 2 (the gtx 480) never goes above 64c, he's clearly lying!

never played a single game that heats my cards up as much as furmark does, my gtx 260 never goes above 72c with 75% fan with furmark it hits 80c in like 2mins

Permabanned
i see....even though he pastes screens running batman benchmark and gpu 2 (the gtx 480) never goes above 64c, he's clearly lying!

never played a single game that heats my cards up as much as furmark does, my gtx 260 never goes above 72c with 75% fan with furmark it hits 80c in like 2mins

Yes, batman probably doesnt heat up the cards as much as other games.

I get the same temperatures I see in furmark in quite a few games I play - Battleforge, Street Fighter 4, and even in Civ 4, but maybe thats because I use 2 cards and that causes them to heat up more.

Heres a comment on the Batman benchmark from further down the thread:

His load temps look ok but he just ran the batman aka bench which is short. Play MW2 or BC2 for an hour I will like to see the load temps on that.

The Batman benchmark also isnt indictive of what kind of load temperatures you would get from gaming for a much longer time.

Last edited:

bee

bee

Associate
some fair points but my gtx 260 just hit 70c in the benchmark and i literally fired the game up and went straight into the bench then quit

Associate
Yes, batman probably doesnt heat up the cards as much as other games.

I get the same temperatures I see in furmark in quite a few games I play - Battleforge, Street Fighter 4, and even in Civ 4, but maybe thats because I use 2 cards and that causes them to heat up more.

Heres a comment on the Batman benchmark from further down the thread:

The Batman benchmark also isnt indictive of what kind of load temperatures you would get from gaming for a much longer time.

But then further down the thread you get...

GPU temps weren't the problem, at 70% fan speed temps didn't break 80C and at 100% fan they didn't break 65C. I think its due to VRM temps, which aren't displayed even in GPU-Z. Makes sense as the VRM cooler isn't attached to the main cooler this time around, there's a separate aluminum plate that covers all the VRMs and memory modules on the 480. May have to take a look at replacing the thermal pads with some TIM.....

when he runs through the Crysis test which pushes the gpu harder than Batman. With manual fan control those temps look acceptible. And that was OC'd to 800/1600.

Back
Top Bottom