• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA user has done a GTX480 Review

Caporegime
wuyanxu - Thanks for posting up your crysis scores. Here is mine on my 4870X2 at stock speeds taken in June of last year.

why, okay:

not sure why my minimal FPS is so low compared to yours..... may be cos i do have Vsync forced on in CCC due to i hate tearing. and mipmap detail at highest quality, AA is multi-sample everything else application setting.

Guys no offence, but do we need to link you to instructions on something as basic as resizing or cropping a screenshot before posting it?

Associate
Cool, I found a couple of video reviews for these GTX 480s:

GTX 480 fan noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=ZO31AGOGGTE

GTX 480 vs HD 5870 Fan noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sax8TvPDuYU

=P

These bench tests are really kind of pointless for the end user. Yeah, they show the noise of the fan but at its worst, with the db meter right next to it, show it on an open test bed where the rest of the card will be getting no airflow. Inside a well ventilated case with good airflow the exposed part of heatsink will be getting constant flow over it, helping cool the card without the fan needing to spin up quite so far.

I'd like someone to try with a normal setup, closed case, sit with the db meter next to them and show the measurements then. Personally I don't care if the fan spins up while I'm playing, I don't play with sound muted!

Soldato
These bench tests are really kind of pointless for the end user. Yeah, they show the noise of the fan but at its worst, with the db meter right next to it, show it on an open test bed where the rest of the card will be getting no airflow. Inside a well ventilated case with good airflow the exposed part of heatsink will be getting constant flow over it, helping cool the card without the fan needing to spin up quite so far.

I'd like someone to try with a normal setup, closed case, sit with the db meter next to them and show the measurements then. Personally I don't care if the fan spins up while I'm playing, I don't play with sound muted!

An enclosed case will more than likely have higher temps and the fan will most likely have to ramp up higher to keep temps down. I have a thermaltake kandalf which is a decent case with decent airflow and my temps are usually much lower with the side off. Imo a gtx480 would get very warm inside enclosed in most rigs.

Associate
Trouble is, no-one has done a comparison. The only people to have tested them like this as far as I can see are the people on the EVGA forums and I think they've had some promising results.

In my P182, if i take off the side panel then temps don't drop that much. What does effect my temps is having the front door of the case closed or the dust filter on the front intake. As this fan is directly in line with my graphics card I leave the dust filter off and have the front door slightly ajar as it drops my temps by a good 4-6c.While I've been tying this I've had the side panel off my case and it's had no effect.

Must admit, I don't see why NV went for a smaller, higher RPM fan than a larger, slightly slower one. Probably cheaper for them!

Soldato
I know on my mates akasa eclipse with the side of his temps similar to mine drop around 5-10 degrees. With something as hot as a gtx480 an enclosed space would heat up pretty fast its pretty much just logic.

My mate has crossfire 4890's which probably put out around the same heat as a gtx480. The fans on these standard 4890's according to reviews are not as loud as the gtx480 and to me they sound like jets compared to my 5770.

Last edited:
Associate
I suppose it depends on how good the airflow in an individual case is. What I'm trying to say is it's all well and good people posting stuff showing how loud the 480 is out of a case but it's going to be a different situation when inside. I agree they are undoubtably louder, but I don't think in real world use it will be as bad as some people like to make out.

Soldato
4890 fans are really loud though to the extent when he phones me it sounds like theres a hurricane destroying his house. Side on or off the card is far to loud, if the 480gtx is louder than these cards it will most likely be a put off for many people but i do understand your point.

Back
Top Bottom