• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA user has done a GTX480 Review

Soldato
These bench tests are really kind of pointless for the end user. Yeah, they show the noise of the fan but at its worst, with the db meter right next to it, show it on an open test bed where the rest of the card will be getting no airflow. Inside a well ventilated case with good airflow the exposed part of heatsink will be getting constant flow over it, helping cool the card without the fan needing to spin up quite so far.

I'd like someone to try with a normal setup, closed case, sit with the db meter next to them and show the measurements then. Personally I don't care if the fan spins up while I'm playing, I don't play with sound muted!

What??? It's an apples to apples test, stop making excuses!

Soldato
I think this is all you need to know about 480 :D

"All that power makes for one seriously hot graphics card. Do not be fooled by the 97 degree load temperature. While this is the maximum temperature that we recorded, the fan was spinning so fast things started sliding across my desk towards the test system. The GeForce GTX 480 was truly deafening when running our full load test.

Letting the card sit at the Windows 7 desktop for 20 minutes after stress testing saw the temperature only drop to 65 degrees. When it came time to remove the GeForce GTX 480 from our test system I had to wear a pair of gloves to avoid any possible burns or dropping the extremely hot graphics card. The PCI Express power cables were amazingly soft from all the heat that had been thrown at them.

In short the GeForce GTX 480 is around 11% hotter than the Radeon HD 5870 under load and a whopping 71% or 27 degrees hotter at idle."

Permabanned
What??? It's an apples to apples test, stop making excuses!

This. I can stand people making excuses for the fan noise open bench tests. Both cards are being used in the same environment, doing the same tests, and it just shows which is louder.

Closed cases will actually be even louder because the GPU heats up more.

The PCI Express power cables were amazingly soft from all the heat that had been thrown at them.

I missed this part when I read it. Seriously I dont want to melt my shiny new Tagan 1100w PSUs cables!!! It has 6 PCI-E cables and is ready for trifire / sli, not that I need that many, but melting the cables on it is a no no!

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm 70c at 100% fan speed?
Sounds fishy to me. look at the temp charts here on a reputable site:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/...x-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/19
The load temp while playing crysis is 94c.
Now i'm making an assumption here but if the card is at 94c which is only 11c away from the card shutting off then i'd guess it's running at 100%.
Can someone explain to me then how this guy has a difference in temps of 24c.
Unless i've missed something (more than likely) then that dude is talking tripe.

Soldato
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/...x-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/19
Now i'm making an assumption here but if the card is at 94c which is only 11c away from the card shutting off then i'd guess it's running at 100%.
Unless i've missed something (more than likely) then that dude is talking tripe.

The fan on the 480 only seems to ramp up when the card hits around 90c. Most users are saying that they find it better to set the fan profile to a static one so it keeps the card cooler and doesnt let the card heat up before kicking in.

The same applies to the cooling of the card, users are stating that the cards fan ramps down too quickly so it takes longer to reach its idle temps.

There are quiet a few posts like this on the evga forums. :)

Associate
Ok then if having the setting of the fan at 100% from the out set would apparently prevent the card reaching above 70c then that would imply the fans are good enough to keep the chip cool. Then why does from the impression i am getting the fan not seem powerful enough at 100% to lower the temps from 94c-ish when at load?
Something doesn't seem right to me as by all intents and purposes the fan should be able to drop the temp from 94c to 70c when at 100% and it doesn't seem like that is happening (while at load if what the evga users are saying is correct).

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok then if having the setting of the fan at 100% from the out set would apparently prevent the card reaching above 70c then that would imply the fans are good enough to keep the chip cool. Then why does from the impression i am getting the fan not seem powerful enough at 100% to lower the temps from 94c-ish when at load?
Something doesn't seem right to me as by all intents and purposes the fan should be able to drop the temp from 94c to 70c when at 100% and it doesn't seem like that is happening.

Because the fan isnt spinning up at 100% when it is hitting 94c.

It basically points to how the fan profiles are setup. :)

Caporegime

I;m sure I read in a review somewhere that even at 94C and so close to shutting down, the fan isn't yet running at 100%.

I think Nvidia have set the fan profiles low and would rather have a hot card than people complaining about the fan running at 100% all the time.

Associate
Because the fan isnt spinning up at 100% when it is hitting 94c.

It basically points to how the fan profiles are setup. :)

Ok then that makes sense:)
What kind of percentage does the fan hit at 94c on stock fan settings?
I've heard noise they make on the Hardocp video and if that isn't at 100% and the fan actually gets louder then that then I just can't see how people could tolerate it. You'd probably hear that even if you game with headphones.

Associate
I;m sure I read in a review somewhere that even at 94C and so close to shutting down, the fan isn't yet running at 100%.

I think Nvidia have set the fan profiles low and would rather have a hot card than people complaining about the fan running at 100% all the time.

That just seems like utter madness to me. I can't imagine Enthusiast users wanting that high temps or the noise levels these things produce.
I'd love someone to make a sound recording of these cards running with 100% fan.
The idea to me just seems crazy.
Mind you as preference i'd take the noise over high temps anyday. Atleast i'd know my components were safer. Dunno how long the fans would last running at a constant 100% though.

Soldato
Ok then that makes sense:)
What kind of percentage does the fan hit at 94c on stock fan settings?
I've heard noise they make on the Hardocp video and if that isn't at 100% and the fan actually gets louder then that then I just can't see how people could tolerate it. You'd probably hear that even if you game with headphones.

The fan speeds on hardocp are 100% and also not in a pc case. Looking at reviews it would indicate that the fan noise is about the same as a 4870X2, 295GTX. Users of the 480gtx are comparing the fan noise to a 280gtx in use. Pop over to the evga forums as there is loads of feed back from users on noise, heat, in game performance etc....

No doubt there will be custom coolers and custom cards for fermi with better more silent cooling.

Back
Top Bottom