ex smokers

Soldato
Just over 3 years ago I was a smoker as was my then girlfriend (now wife).
Despite what people say, it's safe to say everyone is at least a "20 a day" person - the amount of people who claim to not smoke a pack a day, as if getting to a full pack makes it a little worse than it actually is.

We both decided to quite for a couple of reasons.

Firstly we were about to move in together and looking around at places a lot of them were "non smokers only" so by being smokers we didn't have so many options open to use.
Also as we were both on a pack a day, look at it as £8 a day - at least £240 a month and that was going to go a fair way towards the rent we would need once we moved in.

So at midnight one Saturday evening we had our last cigarette, we destroyed what we had left in our packs and so we started the end game.
We both went for the "Cold Turkey" option.
No gum, no books, no CDs, No DVD's, no substitutes, no slowly cutting back.
We went from 20 a day smokers at midnight to waking up on the Sunday morning as ex-smokers.

3 Years later and we have neither smoked since.
My wife is actually one day up on me as at the end of the day on the Sunday (first day of us stopping) I found an old pack in my jacket pocket with a single cigarette in and I smoked it.
The first day was hell, the first week wasn't easy but as time passed it became easier and easier.

"Cold Turkey" will only work if you've got willpower and really do want to give up and those first few days are hell.
However I stand here now over three years later, occasionally tempted but never once (see above) having gone back to the cancer sticks and both the wife and myself are happy people.
We don't smell like we used to as smokers, we can go where we please to eat & drink (although since the smoking ban I guess everyone can).
We fell better for it and above all we are no longer throwing money away and killing ourselves.

Associate
Seriously the only way to quit smoking is to not desire to smoke. All the other methods, be it hypnosis, patches, gum or even that old chestnut willpower are temp stop gaps that drag on until one day you smoke again. They lead you down the path of thinking your actually missing out on something.

Okay so how do I no longer desire to smoke. Well easy really, by understanding why you smoke in the first place. I'd highly recommend Alan Carr's book easyway to get you in the right frame of mind for this. No will power needed and certainly no substitutes, which I believe are all naff. By the end of the book you'll realise exactly why you smoke and how it's all brainwashing and nicotine addiction and how life can be better without them and if like me you'll no longer desire to smoke ever again. It's the easiest and most rewarding thing I've ever done in my life.

don't take this the wrong way but this is what I think of the following

a) for having that 1 - 2 mins to myself and relaxing
Not true and just an excuse to feed that addiction.

b) stress relief
Definitely not true and physically impossible. Once again to feed that addiction.

c) helps me deal with boredom (sometimes)
Again I'd disagree and say once again to feed that addiction.

Do you detect a pattern here. Like every smoker, be it 100 a day or casual you are addicted to nicotine and that's all there is to it. Every reason you can think of smoking is an excuse to feed that little monster inside your body, or should I say that bigger monster inside your head which is where it counts most.

Soldato
I quit yesterday mate, its only hard when you actually think about it, the rest of the time, when your doing somethin when you wouldnt be smokin anyway it doesnt make any difference. My lungs already feel a bit better and in that calm part where the cravings arent that bad and you dont start coughin up lovely brown chunks of lung in the mornin.

I might mention I've quit before, for 3 years, cold turkey and it wasn't hard. I only started again cos I wanted to and I was fine with it until recently and as soon as I thought I wasn't just doin it because I like it, I've quit.

Soldato
next cigarette you smoke, really analyze it and ask yourself exactly you are enjoying about it, is it the taste? No, it actually tastes rank, filthy, smoking is not sociable anymore, infact it's antisocial, expensive, as has probably been mentioned, (i've not read the thread), grab a copy of Alan Carrs easy way to stop smoking, it's fantastic, i quit cold turkey over 2 years ago after smoking for 14 years, never looked back and found it suprisingly easy :)

Associate
The craving is physical for the first week, after that it's a mental craving, your body has physically adjusted to not having nicotine and tar getting fed into it.

Try to quit only if you want to.

Cold turkey ***.

Permabanned
Agreed. This is where Alan Carr's book comes into it's own. It gets you in the right frame of mind to do just what he said.

Right frame of mind? You don't need to get into the right frame of mind to just stop putting the fag in your mouth and lighting it. Just don't do it anymore! :)

If I can after 20+ years of a 20 a day habit, then anyone can.

Soldato
Right frame of mind? You don't need to get into the right frame of mind to just stop putting the fag in your mouth and lighting it. Just don't do it anymore! :)

no, stupid comment , i would say that you gave up easily because of the frame of mind you was in at the time.

Associate

Of course you need to be in the right frame of mind. It seems it took you 20 years to break that so called habit, or should I say addiction.

Permabanned
Of course you need to be in the right frame of mind. It seems it took you 20 years to break that so called habit, or should I say addiction.

No it didn't, it took me about 5 minutes to break the habit! When I smoked I actually liked smoking, it wasn't something that really bothered me at all. It was nothing but the spiralling cost that made me quit in the end!

Associate
was a smoker for about 15 years on 20 a day more at weekends, tried the gum first time i tried to give up didnt last long, second time used the patches and still smoke free nearly 8 years later, best thing i ever did of course i have added a few pounds since :(

Do as mentioned before clear your house of all smoke related stuff, i kept a few items 1 ashtray for keeping my loose change in :), 1 lighter (zippo) and for nostalgic reason i still have the single cigarette from my last ever packet :)

Soldato
i gave up after 24 years. i used the internet to understand how my body would react, and used an app called silkquit to check how much i was saving. i didnt use anything like patches and it was pretty easy,.

willpower is a liew really, if you want to give up you can, if you have any doibts or dont really want o then you wont :)

Permabanned
i stopped smoking a while ago now, neve trthink about them unless someone says them first, id been smoking for 14 years and got to 40 a day

i went to the doctors got patches then used them for 3 days, in my eyes they didnt do anything, however drumstick lollys helped

gl @ stopping

Back
Top Bottom