ex smokers

Associate
I gave up 4 weeks ago today.

Up untill then I'd smoked for 16 years.

I'm finding it hard.

congrats, and the worst of it is over, just think next time you crave how far you've got, eat an apple or something to take your mind off it :)

It's this kind of thinking that put me off quitting in the first place for many years. Been deprived and trying not to think about it. Sounds like hell. Fortunetly and thanks to Alan Carr I have no desire to smoke so I can think about smoking as much as I want. I can be around smokers on breaks and pub ban or not I'd not have a problem.

The various methods of quitting are useless providing you still desire to smoke. This is what seperates non smokers and smokers. you either desire to smoke or you dont'. If you still pine for one, it's just a matter of time till you get sucked in. Sure the physical addiction lasts only a few days, but the mental one can last a life time. 1 month or 1 year makes no difference. You still feel like you gave something up. You gave nothing up. Start thinking like a non smoker. Non smokers don't find it hard not smoking, only temporary ex smokers do.

Last edited:
Associate
me and my wife both stopped a day after we found out she was pregnant.

cold turkey all the way and now on for 4 years of not smoking after 14 smoking

have touched one since but i cant say ive not been tempted just scared to go back to it you know have one smoke become a smoker again.

Soldato
I just stopped. Decided one day I didn't want to be a smoker anymore and stopped. Simple as that really, although I did always have an 'emergency' cigarette hanging around because I could look at it and think 'No! Willpower!' :D

If I hadn't had that I'd have gone and bought 20 and smoked the lot. I've been off about 4/5 years now I think and still occasionally miss it (and have been known to sneak off for the odd sneaky beaky but it's like once or twice a year if I'm really drunk :o)

I do believe you have to want to give up and that does have a lot to do with your state of mind and what's going on in your life at that point. If you give up because of anything other than wanting to give up, I do think you'll fail.

Soldato
i gave up by reading allen carrs easy way book. il spare you how it works, if you do decide to read it you will find that out anyway, but let me say this, if you really are wanting to give up like i was, the book WILL work.

Yep sound advice. I think it'll work on you, it seems to work on most people who read it. Nice easy book to read, so shouting, no guilt, no stress.

I seriously think patches and gum should be banned, they are flippin expensive and just force you to continue your nicotine addiction.

Good luck whatever you decide to do though, but I think Allen Carr's book will put you back to a smoke free life :)

Associate
Yep sound advice. I think it'll work on you, it seems to work on most people who read it. Nice easy book to read, so shouting, no guilt, no stress.

I seriously think patches and gum should be banned, they are flippin expensive and just force you to continue your nicotine addiction.

Good luck whatever you decide to do though, but I think Allen Carr's book will put you back to a smoke free life :)

If you've read my previous posts on this thread you'll know I back the above 100%. Just to add it's basically the cold turkey method, but this type of cold turkey comes with warm confidence.

Soldato
I used to smoke 10-15 a day, but quit over 2 years ago. My secret tip for quiting... Apples! If you get the craving for a smoke, then eat an apple instead. I ended up on 15 apples a day (so buy small ones) but it really did help and has the added bonus of actually being healthy. :)

Associate
A few pointers - don't cut down, just give up as soon as you are ready. Do not smoke a fag and then 10 minutes later say "ok im giving up" it wont work! You need to set a day and give up from that day.

I used patches to give up, spent 12 weeks on them. The first 2 weeks were the hardest and the last 2 weeks were the easiest, didn't really need the patches towards the end but wanted to complete the full 12 weeks (no excuses)

If you enjoy smoking after eating, which i did, make sure you do something - wash the dishes, read a paper or play a video game...edit or like above^ eat an apple :)

Be prepared not to go out drinking for a while, i stayed clear of pubs/clubs for 6 weeks :eek: paid off in the end though, been smoke free for 4 years after smoking for 10.

Soldato
I used to smoke 10-15 a day, but quit over 2 years ago. My secret tip for quiting... Apples! If you get the craving for a smoke, then eat an apple instead. I ended up on 15 apples a day (so buy small ones) but it really did help and has the added bonus of actually being healthy. :)

yay, so my advice is good then :D (read up)

congrats, and the worst of it is over, just think next time you crave how far you've got, eat an apple or something to take your mind off it

Soldato
also can i add, you are NOT giving ANYTHING up, you are gaining many things, health, money, fresh clothes/breath etc, a sense of cleanliness, lack of bad habit etc etc. and most importantly, don't think of it as a daunting 6 weeks ahead, take it an hour at a time and congratulate yourself for every hour you gain your health, money, cleanliness etc, set yourself targets of a day, week, month and go treat yourself, just think of it this way, 5 years of not smoking 20 a day will buy you a brand new car.

1 year at £5 a day = £1825 - damn good holiday
2 years at £5 a day = £3650 - a smart pc/media centre etc
3 years at £5 a day = £5475 - a half decent used car
5 years = £9125

Soldato
It seems silly to me that people are suggesting books and tapes and things. If a person wants to quit then they have to just quit, show strength and say "No more". And that's it. Personally I didn't quit because I wanted to as such, but rather because I didn't want to further my chances of heart and lung disease at a very early age. And that thought keeps me away from smoking. Oh and the smell now, I can smell it in my hair etc when I'm around smokers, very odd!.

The only other thing I can add is that someone who's quitting should make exception for metabolism and weight and things. I was unprepared and unfit, and I put on a stone within 3-4 months. Which wasn't great. Don't replace fags with food, and get into a regular exercise pattern before quitting :).

Permabanned
also can i add, you are NOT giving ANYTHING up, you are gaining many things, health, money, fresh clothes/breath etc, a sense of cleanliness, lack of bad habit etc etc. and most importantly, don't think of it as a daunting 6 weeks ahead, take it an hour at a time and congratulate yourself for every hour you gain your health, money, cleanliness etc, set yourself targets of a day, week, month and go treat yourself, just think of it this way, 5 years of not smoking 20 a day will buy you a brand new car.

1 year at £5 a day = £1825 - damn good holiday
2 years at £5 a day = £3650 - a smart pc/media centre etc
3 years at £5 a day = £5475 - a half decent used car
5 years = £9125

i was spending 60 quid a week on my habbit, im savign a fortune

Associate
I smoked from the age of 15 until I was 21 and I was going through exactly 1 full pack a day.

One day I decided to quit and simply didn't smoke anymore. On top of that, I have always felt that people who quit drinking but can't have a drink with their friends are as "ill" as those who can't help drinking lots so from time to time I have a ciggie or two when I feel like it (once a year) without going back to the habit.

Caporegime
I smoked 40-60 a day for 20 years. I used patches which I found really helpful, although the reduction in patch size gave me serious moods.

The one thing I found really helpful was to psychologically convince myself that I hate the smell, and to this day I still do. I continue to avoid people who smoke.

If you are serious about quitting, then a useful tool is to find the thing you love most about smoking and find an alternative to it.

Oh and the cravings do pass and it doesn't take too long.

Soldato
I'm 2 days in to my quittin now and I think I'll do it, for the most part it isn't botherin me but I am in a really bad mood at the moment. I don't mind that though, I normally choose to be quite offensive to people and this is just givin me more inspiration.

Gotta look at the brightside of it after all.

Associate
It seems silly to me that people are suggesting books and tapes and things.

Whilst I agree substitutes never work Alan Carr's book does help. Without reading this book I'd still think the following

- Smoking relaxes
- Smoking helps in stressful situations
- I like smoking (more so when I'm not smoking)

The above are myths implanted on the mind of most, if not all smokers. Once you realise this quitting is extremely easy. Far easier than I ever thought it would be. I'd quit many times in the past and within a year I'd be back smoking. Not this time though as now I know for certain smoking does nothing for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
i smoked for 8 years, 1 day i just decided i didn't want to smoke anymore, i think it was mostly due to a new GF who didn't smoke and i was always conscious about the smell around her.
If you don't want to smoke you don't smoke, simple as that, sure i still get the odd craving but they are easily pushed to the sidelines, just keep yourself occupied and try taking up some exercise. Now i don't smoke i can enjoy cycling without thinking i am about to collapse all the time

Soldato
OP
thanks guys some excellent advice there, really appreciate your support and sympathey...

I have the alan carr book in PDF format I will print it off asap and try it out...

I would be so chuffed if I quit, it would be such an achievement..

I really pray it works and that I dont have to go down the road of patches / gum...

thank you so much :)

The above are myths implanted on the mind of most, if not all smokers. Once you realise this quitting is extremely easy. Far easier than I ever thought it would be. I'd quit many times in the past and within a year I'd be back smoking. Not this time though as now I know for certain smoking does nothing for me.

this is it, i am made it so big in my head and you know when you make things so massive mentally and when you actually do them its like, "is that really it" by no means do I want to make the size of the task any lower in my head but I know I have willpower I just have to dig deep and get on with it...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom