ex smokers

Associate
Good luck quitting

Forget willpower though. By thinking willpower you are already looking at an uphill struggle before you've even quit. Sure it can be done but mostly only on a temporary basis, Remember there is nothing negative about quitting smoking. Willpower suggests you are giving something up. Your really not.

When you've made that decision to quit (preferably whilst smoking your last one, rather than at a time when you aren't smoking) say to yourself 'thank god I've finished with these god awful things'. smoke that final cigarette consciously, with a joy of stubbing it out. don't think along the lines of I must never smoke again. Keep it positive all the time. 'yippee I'm no longer a slave to this weed'

Should you have an urge to smoke a few days later say to yourself 'This is the feeling smokers get, I'm now a non smoker' and enjoy saying it. Enjoy being a non smoker and realise that the empty feeling (not to be confused with hunger) is nothing more than a little monster inside you wanting his fix of nicotine. sounds silly I know, but that all it amounts too.

I hope you succeed and avoid those dreadful patches and gum. They only emphasise the problem is with the person. It's really not. Smokers are perfectly normal. They just got sucked in by the biggest scandal known to mankind and all it took was a few cigarettes.

Last edited:
Soldato
It seems silly to me that people are suggesting books and tapes and things.

You're missing the point of the books, giving up smoking to a smoker is a daunting task, a long lived one at that too, that's what put me off 'giving up' for so long, i failed with patches and gum and even tried the inhalator thingy but as i wasn't in the right frame of mind to give up, i failed. I read Alan Carrs book, which doesn't beat on about 'smoking's bad' etc, infact quite the opposite, he tells you not to give up yet, to wait till you've read his book, as the book sets you in the right frame of mind to succeed, and the beauty of it, it works :)

Soldato
My gf's brother-in-law was a 40+ a day smoker for around 25 years. He's thought about quitting but never actually did it until Christmas 2 years ago. He had the flu so was knocked off his feet for around a week. During this time he didnt smoke and by the time he was better he didnt 'feel' like smoking. Since then he's only had a couple of quick drags of a cig'. Once when his best friend broke his ankle in a nasty way (I was there) and grabbed a lit cig' off a mate and the other time was when extremely drunk on evening after someone bet him he couldnt have one drag without having more later.

He still to this day says he wants to smoke as he enjoys it but doesnt because he has two daughters.

Soldato
Dude, you must be doing something seriously wrong? 2 years?

Just stop, you broke the habit a long time ago, no need for the gum :)

Well, its nicoteen replacement, so your still addicted to the nicoteen, im just addicted to the gum now.

My wife gave up 7 years ago and she's still on the gum :p

Its harmless anyway, its only a monetry problem, last year a box was £19, but now you can get a box for £5.50, so its not the same financial obligation it once was, and its better than smoking.

Associate
I suppose so, a lot cheaper than buying ciggy's. Seem strange though, giving up one habit and now you have another, because you are now addicted to gum instead of fags.

Should be much easier giving up the gum though? or haven't you tried?

Associate
Should be much easier giving up the gum though? or haven't you tried?

Not so. The addiction to nicotine has gone no where, neither in the body or the mind. Exactly like cigarettes you don’t acquire a taste for the gum. It acquires you. At first it's blah, then blah some more, then wham your addicted.

Physical addiction = A few days
Brainwashing = Can be a lifetime

Soldato
quitting smoking is actually really easy, think about it, when you finish a cigarette and your living in the interval before you have another, there is no pain physically, its not like heroin were the addict experiences a real physical withdrawal.

You can say the withdrawal of cigarettes is an illusion, well it is, its fear based, the fear of not knowing what life will be like without a cigarette. thats it, conquer the fear and you have conquered the addiction, because the addiction is mental not physical. The quicker you get a grip on your own mind , the better frame of it you will have to escape from the prison that you help build.

Associate
Not so. The addiction to nicotine has gone no where, neither in the body or the mind. Exactly like cigarettes you don’t acquire a taste for the gum. It acquires you. At first it's blah, then blah some more, then wham your addicted.

Well of course it hasn't, although its been replaced by smaller doses of nicotine which, in theory would make it easier to give up.

My point is, once you have beaten the addiction to smoking, it seems pointless to carry on eating nicotine gum. To successfully give up you need closure...imo still chewing gum 2 years after giving up smoking...well you haven't really given up at all.

You can be classed as still 'giving up' :)

Soldato
thanks guys some excellent advice there, really appreciate your support and sympathey...

I have the alan carr book in PDF format I will print it off asap and try it out...

I would be so chuffed if I quit, it would be such an achievement..

I really pray it works and that I dont have to go down the road of patches / gum...

thank you so much :)

Can you email me that book please mate, if its not massive? email in trust

Associate
Well of course it hasn't, although its been replaced by smaller doses of nicotine which, in theory would make it easier to give up.

How do you figure?
Considering the addiction is mental how does a smaller does of nicotine help you quit. Sure the health risks are reduced, but your comments suggest smokers have a physical addiction than can be reduced with a lesser intake. This is simply not true, as you'll find casual smokers find it just as hard, if not harder to quit.

You sound like those useless gum adverts that are now broadcasting.

My point is, once you have beaten the addiction to smoking, it seems pointless to carry on eating nicotine gum. To successfully give up you need closure...imo still chewing gum 2 years after giving up smoking...well you haven't really given up at all.

Smokers arn't addicted to smoking. They are addicted to nicotine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm 47, smoked 20+ per day but just stopped on 11/06/2006.

No patches just cold turkey.

First month to 6 weeks was hardest along with finding something to do in the car as that was wehere I smoked most.

I really loathe the smell now.

Associate
How do you figure?
Considering the addiction is mental how does a smaller does of nicotine help you quit. Sure the health risks are reduced, but your comments suggest smokers have a physical addiction than can be reduced with a lesser intake. This is simply not true, as you'll find casual smokers find it just as hard, if not harder to quit.

How do i figure? why do patches and gum come in various strengths? So you can wean yourself off the nicotine i.e step down your intake.

You sound like those useless gum adverts that are now broadcasting.

Thank you.

Smokers arn't addicted to smoking. They are addicted to nicotine.

You are implying that everyone is the same, not true!

Edit: that's the last im a saying because you a ruining the OP's thread.

Soldato
OP
GUTTED!!!!

I kept it up for 24hrs I never had a smoke during all this time, this is the longest I lasted...

I woke up this morning , as I have been out of work for three weeks another day doing nothing just freaked me out...

I do feel gutted but am eager to give it another go..

A big problem I had is that I was in 2 minds constantly

mind 1:- i dont smoke so therefore its not an option to have a ciggie now, I dont want to be a slave, I dont want to lose my confidence, I dont want to become a nervous wreck, I dont want to become a victim etc etc.

mind 2:- just have one, what you gonna do all day, your ill your at home, your bored, just do it..

So I gave in and have just smoked 3 ciggies in the last two hours...

I started giving up before having finished reading the book, I was on page 80 and then sparked up...

I dont want to feel guilty, I am pleased I went all day yesterday without having a smoke my longest victory yet,..

What gets me is that yesterday I was counting three weeks in my head, thinking how I would get over things leading to three weeks, I even overcame a massive row with the MRS yesterday and didnt have a smoke....I was in two minds a) im an exsmoker b) im a smoker trying to stop...

I need to get reading the book again and then take it from there...

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Soldato
GUTTED!!!!

I kept it up for 24hrs I never had a smoke during all this time, this is the longest I lasted...

I woke up this morning , as I have been out of work for three weeks another day doing nothing just freaked me out...

I do feel gutted but am eager to give it another go..

A big problem I had is that I was in 2 minds constantly

mind 1:- i dont smoke so therefore its not an option to have a ciggie now, I dont want to be a slave, I dont want to lose my confidence, I dont want to become a nervous wreck, I dont want to become a victim etc etc.

mind 2:- just have one, what you gonna do all day, your ill your at home, your bored, just do it..

So I gave in and have just smoked 3 ciggies in the last two hours...

I started giving up before having finished reading the book, I was on page 80 and then sparked up...

I dont want to feel guilty, I am pleased I went all day yesterday without having a smoke my longest victory yet,..

What gets me is that yesterday I was counting three weeks in my head, thinking how I would get over things leading to three weeks, I even overcame a massive row with the MRS yesterday and didnt have a smoke....I was in two minds a) im an exsmoker b) im a smoker trying to stop...

I need to get reading the book again and then take it from there...

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

sorry to hear that but just let me say that you were bound to fail from the get go.

quitting properly is not about struggle, its about realisation.

come to terms with it mentally first , did you read the book?

Soldato
OP
i started reading the book and everthing i read was 100% true...

then yesterday when i woke up I thought lets give it ago, im at home, something to do etc etc..

i found myself trying to keep busy and when i felt like a ciggie thinking of the words and phrases in the book, come night time it was getting really difficult, i just went to bed but then woke up this morning and thought about three weeks ahead and "bang" just sparked one up...

i am now trying to anazlye why i fell after 24hrs of being nictoine free...its true its not so much the nicotine addiction but more the brainwashing...for example when i went to the park yesterday for a walk i saw other ppl smoking and thought to myself "im so happy not be like that" "i feel sorry for them" "they are slaves" etc etc..

but this morning the thing that made me give in was having to face the day doing nothing, being ill...i know its an excuse deep down but it made me fall...

Soldato
I read Allen Carr's book 4 years ago, haven't smoked since. I highly recommend it. But as somebody has already said you have to "not want to smoke" first. Good luck, it feels great when you know you've cracked it.

Soldato
Regarding the gum, i probably have as much nicoteen now as i did when i was on 40 a day, im now on about 25 2mg bits of gum a day (i was on 25 bits of 4mg gum till a few months ago).

Ive tried giving it up, its basically just like giving up cigarettes, same ancy feeling.

Soldato
the book is 111 pages, it was on the 88th page that i finally came to my senses and threw all of my tobacco and paraphernalia into the bin without regret. it was a sort of epiphany, i was wondering what had i being doing all these years and how silly it was.

thats the impact reading the book had on me, there was no struggle or two mindedness it was clear that from then on, i was a non smoker, Of course there was will in me to give up as i was sick of it, i wanted out, i had wanted out for about a year , but addiction said no.

The book deprogrammed me , it removed all the illusions i had with smoking that kept me hooked., once they go, the addiction also follows.

Illusion , thats what it is, as i said in other post. the addicion is fear based, conquer the fear , conquer the addiction.

Back
Top Bottom