1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

excel help please

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Colbaker, 5 Jun 2010.

1. Colbaker

Wise Guy

hi all, what i want to do is create a drop box with many different names in it (this i can do), but when i use the drop box to select a specific name i want the cell next to it to auto enter a number that is specific to that name i.e. the persons age, any idea what formula to use?

2. TheKnat

Wise Guy

I'm assuming that the details you want it to auto enter will be stored in a separate worksheet?

If so you can use the VLOOKUP feature, such as =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:C2,3,TRUE). That checks that value of cell A1, then looks up in sheet2 between A1 and C2 for that result and outputs the 3 column as the result.

3. Colbaker

Wise Guy

Thank's for the reply but i cannot get that to work, I will explain a little better what i want to do..........

On sheet 1 i have a list of names in column G and a list of Ages in Column E, see below..

[​IMG]

And i have created a drop box and chosen the name Carly (for instance) but want the AGE cell to auto add her age from the data pool above but have no idea how to do it, please help, i am a novice to excel.

[​IMG]

4. Pho

Sgarrista

5. Colbaker

Wise Guy

Thanks muchly for that.