1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exchange 2003 relay question

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Hodders, 10 May 2006.

1. Hodders

Mobster

We have an exchange 2003 server.

It will quite happily relay smtp for it own subnet. We also have a machine on a DMZ that we need to allow to relay via our exchange server.

I have added its subnet 10.0.2.0/255.255.255.0 to the relay 'allow the list below' in the virtual smtp server settings but still it won't relay out. It will accept local addresses name@mydomain.com but not outside addresses 'remote@hotmail.com' for example.

I have restarted exchange.

'Spoofing' smtp using telnet to port 25 produces the 'cannot relay' type errors.

Any ideas please !

2. Otacon

Capodecina

Are the DMZ boxes authenticating, or sending anonymously?

3. Hodders

Mobster

Sending anonymously....

I can (from a dos prompt) on the dmz spoof email via telnet to port 25 to any internal address - it's just the external ones that fail.... grrrr

4. ^^Gord^^

Wise Guy

Where exactly did you add the subnet?

Within ESM -> Administrative Groups -> "Domain" -> "Server" -> SMTP -> Default SMTP Virtual Server

Access tab

Then relay restrictions or connection control?

From your wording, I am guessing you have gone into connection control and added the subnet in there when you should be adding it to relay restrictions using "only the list below" with a status of granted of course.

I would also suggest using a single IP rather than a subnet especially if the source is your DMZ.

5. crashuk

PermaBanned

ill do it tonight ill do a tut, plus you need u unblacklist.

6. Hodders

Mobster

I did it via the 'relay' settings. Daft thing is I've mad the same changes to another exchange server and it works fine !

Thanks for your help though !

7. ^^Gord^^

Wise Guy

That is odd. Do you have any anti-spam or anti-virus checking on SMTP that may be causing you problems?

If you telnet on port 25 the header should tell you what program is responding.