1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exchange email archival?

Discussion in 'Servers and Enterprise Solutions' started by bremen1874, 17 Apr 2010.

1. bremen1874

Capodecina

I've got a site with about 15 users using Exchange on SBS 2003.

They recently received a sales email advertising MailStore Archiver for Exchange, and they’ve now decided that they’d like to have an email archival system.

I’m trying to draw up a short list of options that are worth trialling. Any suggestions about what’s good, or more importantly bad, would be appreciated.

2. iaind

Capodecina

I've looked at:

- Barracuda message archiver appliance. Pros: Reasonably cost effective, simple, supports stubbing, expandable. Cons: Lacking a few features, backup might be an issue
    - GFI mail archiver. Pros: Cheap, as expandable as the server it resides on. Cons: No stubbing
    - Messagelabs hosted archiving: Pros: Hosted, so no worries, some nice features and includes the security side of things. Cons: Expensive!

We're going for the Barracuda probably, just waiting for an eval unit

3. ruffneck

Wise Guy

check out google postini

4. droyden

Hitman

We use mimecast as a hosted spam/virus filtering service, they also offer archiving (and importing of psts) but we dont use it.

5. kefkef

Mobster

Have a look at Symantec Enterprise Vault. We've put in Commvault Simpana archiving, it's 10mths since we bought it and it's still not working right!

6. Vanilla

Sgarrista

I don't know if Symantec Enterprise Vault would fit your budget or size but if it does it seems to be the most popular one out there by far, great product.

Then EMC Emailxtender / Sourceone is an option.

7. Sp00n

Capodecina

Mailarchiver is RUBBISH!

8. bremen1874

Capodecina

Thanks for the suggestions, I have a starting point at least.

Is this a reference to GFI? Are there specific issues worth looking out for?

9. ajf

Mobster

We use GFI and have had no major issues with it using it with 300 users. It can be a bit slow when retrieving archived messages but seems reliable.
    Support is also helpful whnewe have had questions.

10. Sp00n

Capodecina

It's so slow, but to be honest my opinion is probably very biased as some other fool installed it with the firebird database, it's just very laggy and I'm not a fan of the interface.

11. iaind

Capodecina

Does postini support stubbing?

12. Mikoyan

Mobster

what is stubbing? :o

13. Spammeh

Hitman

We use barracuda, cheap and does the job including stubbing and retention polices. Good because you dont pay per mailbox - just 1 flat fee

14. iaind

Capodecina

Replacing attachments with a link, basically

15. anything I don't mind

PermaBanned

do not use symantec vault

i hate that software, has to be the worst software that you can unleash onto your emails, how many times i have seen it corrupt emails and it causes an IT support nightmare due to the client always failing. You are also unable to retrieve emails when using cache exchange mode on a laptop out of the office.

I would recommend buying more hard drive space for the exchange server and not archiving at all.

16. bremen1874

Capodecina

This is effectively the situation I'm in.

With the very small number of users the overall storage requirements are never going to be a problem.

I'm more concerned with the size of individual mailboxes. I've got some users (management so you can't slap them) that regularly have 3GB+ in use.

There's presumably a point where performance will start to suffer? Unfortunately I haven't got any real idea about what that point would be.

17. iaind

Capodecina

Absolutely, performance will start to suffer, and just leaving them in the mailbox doesnt tick any regulatory boxes. Archives also give you a nice backup when someone wants a long lost email back.

Just leaving them in the mail store is a very bad suggestion indeed

18. Richard_16v

Wise Guy

3GB, we have people that have 12+GB

Currently using Symantec Enterprise Vault - does the job but I haven't used any others to compare it with, wouldn't say it fits in with the budget of a 15 user SBS site.

As for the person saying it is always failing, the only issues we have are having to rebuild the index from time to time for users. As for not having access when offline you can have a vault cache that allows access to some archived mail offline

19. Euphoria

Hitman

Enterprise vault seems to do the trick and the version 9 seems to hugely improve on version 8. Seems to work perfectly

20. morfmedia

Hitman

Zantaz EAS, used by at least one FTSE100 company I've worked at...