Excuses for calling in Sick

Soldato
kaiowas said:
Why bother making up stupid excuses, just tell them you're ill and nothing more.

Having said that I've never thrown a sickie without having actually been ill.
Ditto.

I have no problem with any of my staff being off sick if it is genuine (I would actually prefer them to stay home if they aren't fit to be in work). If there is one thing though that really ***** me off though is people throwing sickies. Most of the time you can see right through people that do this. If they think they have got away with it they are probably wrong - managers don't forget these things too quick.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Lol @ Betty :)

My boss has had a 'duvet day' which I am yet to have myself. There is only two of us so I knew that the 'duvet day' was due to her going out drinking.

It is bad form. Especially when I arranged a meeting and the Director who was supposed to head the meeting was 'off sick' so I had to cancel the meeting. Really stupid because I was the one who sent him to the client thing the night before.

This isn't the first time he's done this (he turned up an hour late to a mtg I called last week as he 'was hungry' and that was after I called him).

He is supposed to be a Director. So yes I have lost all respect for him. :o

Sorry this has gone kind of gone off topic.

BB x

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I hate people who fake illness and call in saying they need the day off. Here at OcUK were a team and everybody comes in, any staff faking illness are soon found out and kicked out the door.

I myself have been off ill only twice I believe in my approx 5 years of working at OcUK. Once was for an ear infection I got from swimming in a pool which was not maintained too well and to this day I've never been in so much pain and for that I was off for approx 2-3 days as once the pain eased I came into work and took my medication whilst workin. The second time was recent as I had some form off tonsolitus and I was off for approx a week and also lost over a stone in weight too, thankfully the medication eventually worked and I was back in work. There has been the odd occaison where I have come into work feeling really bad and been picked up in the afternoon and taken home.

But I am proud to say that I've probably had sub 10 days off due to been sick in the 5 years or so I have been working at OcUK and all have been very genuine reasons for doing so. OcUK to me is not just a job I treat it like its my own company. :)

Soldato
I suppose this all depends on if you feel you're working in a dead-end job or not. Also, the larger the company the more likely staff will be able to take the odd "sickie".

I wonder what the track record of companies, where some of their employees take up to 13 days off a year, is like?

Associate
Normally period pain. Male boss will refuse to go into details about it, but I don't pull sickies, not since I stopped working in Asda when I finished uni.

Soldato
Now I am self employed I dont get sick days and have to work through anything.

A white van driver crashed into my Mondeo just before XMas. Ever since doing my job (lots of lifting and bending in akwards positions/tight spaces) makes my back ache. I cannot just stop though as then I get no money.

It still beats having a boss though. I have never had a FT time so only have experience of PT bosses.

Associate
I suppose you could tell your boss you gave yourself a headache trying to think up excuses for throwing a sickie! :D

Caporegime
LOL i dont need any excuses to call in sick, if im ill ill just ring up and say i aint coming in simple as that plus its easier:).

Mind you i work my own hrs anyways and most of the time i work from home now so even if i was ill i'd still be working. Mind you in my previous jobs i worked if i was ill unless it was serious etc.

As for my staff, well most of them still come in even if they arent feeling too well..guess they hate losing pay really. But usually i can see through some pretty lame excuses and its quite funny seeing them squirm when i make their lives a misery by asking for doctor notes etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom