Exercise ...Before dinner? ....or after dinner?

Soldato
Hi all,

What do you think is the right or better thing to do?

I am not a fitness expert or fanatic and I don't go to the gym

...all I am doing is going for a good fast paced walk for around 30-40 mins.

I try to do this every other day.

Would I better off doing this exercise before my main evening meal? ...or after my evening meal?

Thanks

Soldato
I don't think it'd matter when it comes to a walk like that.

I try and avoid running after a big meal as it can feel heavy on my stomach (although i do try and eat before a long run just so i have some energy), similarly with weights i assume you want to avoid eating after a meal as your body is then using energy processing the food rather than making it's focus performance.

Soldato
OP - useful info:

nutrient-timing-table_r4-01-1024x837.png

Soldato
I would say always before eating. I believe you burn more calories on an empty stomach anyway. You can then eat a well deserved meal.
A calorie is a unit of energy. The amount of calories burned doing a specific exercise can't change due to what you have or haven't eaten. What can change is where the energy comes from, there is a better chance of the body burning its fat stores if exercising fasted but there are other factors at play that effect this.
Personally I cant do very much without any fuel, feel flat and empty. In the OP's case though if its just a walk then I don't think it matters too much. That nutrient timing graphic above is pretty good :)

Soldato
If I’m eating before exercising, I try to do so at least 1 hour before, preferably more. This is because I typically feel a little tired afterwards, and find I don’t have as much energy for my workout :)

But I wouldn’t worry too much - just do whichever works for you.

Associate
I once went to the gym and jumped on the rowing machine for a 2k shortly after eating a bacon and cheese sandwich, which I then promptly saw again after running to the toilets. Ever since then I've always trained before eating :D

For a brisk walk it probably doesn't make too much difference though.

Soldato
I often have great intentions of cycling after dinner, but so often feel stuffed and/or lethargic. Maybe less intensive exercise like walking is less likely to cause you to postpone things.

Soldato
As above there is no 'better' way to do it, just whatever is best/most convenient for you.

I wake up at 5am to train and don't eat anything before, works for me, wont for most people. If I train in the evening after dinner, I find I can never fall asleep.

Associate
I would say before as like others have said I don't like exercising when I feel full.

I think the fasted training to burn far reserves is largely a myth as your muscles store enough glycogen for 1-2 hours of moderately intense exercise.

Caporegime
A few years ago I measured my running performance in line with eating and I performed better in a fasted state. The worst results were running around an hour after eating.

Obviously, this wouldn't have passed peer review or anything as other factors weren't measured like sleep and what time of the day I did the run.

Soldato
For the purposes of this thread, I done a test.

I normally always do my morning run then eat once I’m finished. Today I after last night (football) I didn’t get up early enough. I went for a run after eating dinner and bloody hell it was awful. I kept burping.

Each to their own but I’ll be eating after or waiting a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom