"Expensive" bikes - Where do you store them?

Caporegime
At the moment I only have a Keter Plastic shed but that already has a hole in it from a rogue fence panel. That has a couple of cheap bikes in it, but they aren't worth much at all.

What storage solutions do people use here? I was looking at an Asgard metal bike storage shed but in total it would work out to nearly 50% of the cost of my new bike, which seems ludicrous.

Unfortunately I don't have a garage, or anywhere in my house I could store a bike.

Soldato
Downstairs toilet now, since some scum decided to break into my shed a few years ago and steal my pride and joy.

I'm tempted to put them back there, especially as I have £300 of chains/locks to secure them. But if they really want them, they'll get them. Scum.

Caporegime
OP
Bike is 19kg so I don't really fancy lugging it up and down the stairs. Hallway might be an option actually but it won't be pretty.

Having an extra £750+ will be pretty though.

Soldato
Bike is 19kg so I don't really fancy lugging it up and down the stairs. Hallway might be an option actually but it won't be pretty.

Having an extra £750+ will be pretty though.

Yikes! No I don't think I'd want to do that either! I think in this case I'd be tempted to go down the route of having really decent insurance cover and securing it in your existing shed with some kind of ground anchor/motorbike chain. Yeah it's going to be a pain if it gets nicked, but it'll save you putting your back out lugging the bike up and down the stairs :eek:

Soldato
ah!

Get a proper bike and you might be able to get it up and down the stairs! :p

/only kidding. But I do have a passionate hate for ebikes.

Don't most cyclists? When I hear that annoying whine of an electric bike I feel like I almost have to race them and burn myself out as if to make a point.... All whilst they're completely unaware they're in a race with me and probably enjoying a nice relaxing ride :p

Soldato
Don't most cyclists? When I hear that annoying whine of an electric bike I feel like I almost have to race them and burn myself out as if to make a point.... All whilst they're completely unaware they're in a race with me and probably enjoying a nice relaxing ride :p
Haha i think they are great! Totally cheating and I'd never buy one myself but if people can afford them then fair play. It does allow older folks to ride places they'd not normally be able to get on two wheels. Maybe a minimum age restriction should be introduced? :D

Soldato
Haha i think they are great! Totally cheating and I'd never buy one myself but if people can afford them then fair play. It does allow older folks to ride places they'd not normally be able to get on two wheels. Maybe a minimum age restriction should be introduced? :D

I agree, old people it's great for as allows them to get out and about and I work with a lady in her 50s who uses one as she doesn't drive and helps her get around. I fully get behind that.

I have a friend who is a few years older than me who has recently got an electric bike and I just don't see the point. Argues not fit enough to cycle so gets an electric bike. I don't get it lol.

Associate
Mine live in my garage - bar my 1982 Skyway T/A X/L bmx which has pride of place on the wall in my house :D

As for e-bikes...I have to say I'm a traditionalist but I find myself increasingly drawn to the idea of having something that would encourage me to just go out and freestyle 40 or 50 miles rather than my more typical 25/30 of well trodden routes preoccupied by thoughts about wind direction and imminent hills!

Soldato

Nope I'm a massive advocate of them for those not quite as fit individuals and numerous other cases such as kids/partners being able to ride together and just generally making things more accessible or more available. Yes it can be frustrating but much like anyone riding its good to see people out on bikes rather than in cars or stuck indoors.

Back on topic of security. In the garage with a google nest cam watching and some locks inside. But if someone wants them they'll get them. That's what insurance is for.

Soldato

Im all for them as they are a great enabler. I go on cycle trips in other countries, not your normal ones to just climb mountains but to see a country. The last one I went on was in South Africa and there was this 74 year old guy on the trip riding with us on an ebike and he had a great time. Yes it was slightly annoying he would blast past me on the climbs but it was all good.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Hang it on the wall, you can buy a pully system to help you loft it up. Or get a wooden shed, drop some power to it. IP camera inside, cheap alarm on the door and insurance. Even inside your house some scumbag will have it away.

Back
Top Bottom