1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extending to Wireless

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by TriedandTested, 16 Jan 2006.

1. TriedandTested

Capodecina

Hey

What product would you recommend to make our network wireless? The site isn't very big. Currently we have two servers, both running Win2000. Main thing i really want to do is to give my laptop and the new Dell Axims wireless internet/email/syncronisation/messaging etc.

The current network will remain for the time being (ie non-wireless) but we'd like this as an extra.

Hope that makes sense.
    Cheers.

2. tolien

Caporegime

Wireless access point, hooked up to the network you've got?
    More detail would probably help.

3. TriedandTested

Capodecina

That's the chappy..wireless access point. Something that'll give out a good, strong signal.

More info: work network, win2000, 60 PCs, 160 users. Running the usual 100mpbs.

4. tolien

Caporegime

Linksys WRT54G/GS. I know it's a router, but just hook to the LAN ports.
    Plenty of non-Linksys firmware (most of which features options to turn up the transmit power), and detachable antennae.

5. TriedandTested

Capodecina

Sounds good, thanks mate. Will investigate.

Any details on the firmware you refer to would be great, so i can have a read of that too.

I do have one of these at home currently, nice bit of kit. Do you think it's suited to a work environment, eg size of area it needs to cover (including the firnware updates)?

6. tolien

Caporegime

Sveasoft, DD-WRT, there's loads.

The answer's a lemon.. Wireless is a bit of a guess job.