External CD Writer not Recognised

Associate
I have just tried to put some office software onto my wifes Windows 10 Dell Laptop.I had to use my external CD writer as her laptop does not have a CD drive.But when I plugged the Device into her laptop it did not appear when I went into this PC.When I insert the disc into the drive and close it the green LED flashes for a few seconds and then stops.Have tried now three times no change.I then plugged the drive into my Windows 7 laptop and got the same problem.This CD writer has always worked and I used it last weekend.The CD Drive is a LG GE20nu11 it is a few years old now so just wondered if anyone could give me some advice.

Man of Honour
As you've used it with another machine, I'd suspect cable or device fault. Is there any indication of device recognition in the system, such as new device connection chime, entry in Device Manager or Event Viewer? Also confirm the cable is functional, it may be able to connect power but no data. Try it with another device if you can.

Associate
OP
I have five USB ports on my Laptop and there are three on my wifes Laptop and I have tried using them all.I have a large box of various cables in my shed at the bottom of the garden and will take a look when all this rain has stopped as the back garden is starting to look like a lake.In device manager I have looked in DVD/CD-ROM Drives and all it shows is the built in CD Writer.Is that where I should have looked.

Associate
OP
I have just rebooted the laptop with the drive plugged in and it is still not showing there is no sound when I plug it in or unplug it

Soldato
Power supple, cable, the writer itself. Those are the three things common in the two systems you've hooked the drive up to. So, it's one of them. Flashing lights and working tray would suggest it isn't the PSU so that only leaves the cable and the drive. Swap the cable and if it still doesn't work....it's probably dead, Jim.

Associate
are you plugging it into a USB3 or USB2 port? - and is the drive itself USB3 compatible? USB2 power output for DVD writers is pretty marginal with a max of 500mW per port (maybe less on your laptop if there's an internal hub but you would need to check).

Associate
OP
This drive is mains powered and how would I check if it is USB 3 compatible.All The USB ports on my laptop are USB 2 will have to check what USB ports are on my wifes Laptop.

Associate
OP
It is white and I have just been up to my local PC shop and the owner plugged it into one of his laptops and it worked perfectly.And why would it go faulty now as have used it often on both laptops with no problem

Associate
OP
I have now managed to install office 2003 on my wifes laptop but it is completely different to what she had previously and different to mine although mine is the same software.On mine I have a desktop shortcut for all the programs and Office 2003 is listed in all programs and if I open it all the sub programs Word etc are listed.I am presuming this because it is Windows 10.How would I go into word or exel etc what do I click on to get them

Associate
OP
Hi joey1211 What you said seems a good way would a memory stick do.So how do I go about making a copy of the CDs contents

Soldato
I have now managed to install office 2003 on my wifes laptop but it is completely different to what she had previously and different to mine although mine is the same software.On mine I have a desktop shortcut for all the programs and Office 2003 is listed in all programs and if I open it all the sub programs Word etc are listed.I am presuming this because it is Windows 10.How would I go into word or exel etc what do I click on to get them

Tap the Windows button on the keyboard or on the screen in the bottom left corner and type 'word' or 'excel' You can then right click them and pin the to the taskbar or the start menu

Back
Top Bottom