External HDD - Not pre built units

Associate
Hi

I need to sort out a external hdd to back up my itunes folder. I was browsing the main OverClockers shop site and found a brand called IcyBox who produce an enclosure I've never heard of them. Has anyone used IcyBox equipment can you recommend them or should I look at another brand who make 3.5 enclosures. I'm trying to stay away from already made external drives, because the chance of the HDD failing, I'd rather create a external drive and have the option of only changing the drive either because of failure or needing a bigger storage hdd.

Associate
There is going to be little difference between one you make and one you buy. Both will contain similar components and each would need a return in some form if they failed surely???

either way, icy box have been around for ages making such devices, so they are not a fad company that should disappear tomorrow type thing.

Associate
Icybox are decent... but TBH any drive needs more than just passive cooling so consider a case with some sort of fan to keep it cool

Associate
The weak point of any 3.5" is usually the power supply. Part of the reason 2.5" drives are so popular.
Assembling your own has the advantage that you can be guaranteed to have an actual SATA drive and not one of those external drives which only have a USB port because they use a special controller board for to make their external drives cheaper.
SATA can be handy for data recovery, although of course they say a file only exists if it is there in the original and has at least two backup copies once of which should be off-site/elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom