Extra SATA cable for a Seasonic PSU

Associate
Hi,

I've recently updated my rig with a new CPU, graphic card and other element while clinging to my Seasonic M12II EVO 850W that has been working like a charm since 2012.

It comes with one cable with 3 connectors to connect various SATA devices, but I've got an extra HDD and a secondary SSD that I'd like to connect and would nee a new cable.

I bought the following thinking it would just work fine: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/ACC-S...cable-type-4-generation-3-config/p/CP-8920187

But it actually doesn't. My understanding is that all cables aren't necessarily compatible with a PSU, and in this case which one would work for my Seasonic? Many thanks for your help.

Associate
OP
Hi, first thank you for the answer. I don't have any molex connector on that PSU at all. I was wondering if I could use SATA splitters to add a couple of connections but I'm just worried that it will put too much starin on a single power output.

The ideal solution would be to have that extra PSU output but I'm not sure now what cable would work with it.

Man of Honour
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

First off, stop plugging random cables into your psu. Psu's have different pinouts and plugging a incorrect cable in can have catastrophic results to your hardware and bank balance. We have had people on here kill several components such as gpu's, motherboards, drives just by using the incorrect cable for their psu. That cable is not compatible with your psu, none of Corsair's cables will be and probably not any of the other individual sleeved cable manufacturer's.

What you could do if you have any spare molex cables is to get hold of a molex to sata cable as suggested above. These come in the plain single molex to single sata variety or molex to 4x sata connectors. You can even get sata to sata extension so you could unplug one of your sata devices, plug the extension onto the connector and then you will have four extra connectors.

Molex to Sata

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Sata to Sata

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot Pasty for your help. I'll take a look for free molex connectors, and if not might just use SATA extra connectors. Just out of curiosity though: would another Seasonic cable work with the PSU? I'm just asking in case where in the future I need to resort to other outputs from the PSU. Again, thanks for your help.

Soldato
Just out of curiosity though: would another Seasonic cable work with the PSU?
Never mix cables of different PSUs, at least unless manufacturer specifically tells they're compatible between particular models.
Seasonic has changed modular cabling at least once.

Back
Top Bottom