Extremely mysterious pc issuse! got any ideas?

Associate
OP
and ive run the ram for over 4 hours on a friend machine.. put his ram in here.. tried 1 and 2 chips in all slots.. thats not the problem.. :S

ahh crap it wont even repair it.. im gonna have to reinstall windows againn, i am so sick of this!.. ok im gonna try and put vista back on there becuase that definatley wasnt the problem

Last edited:
Soldato
Be useful also to check the event logs. Do they say anything around the time of the crashes?

(Right Click My Computer / Manage / Event Logs) I'd start with the System Event log and then the Application event log.

M.

Associate
OP
im pretty sure i posted that theres nothing in the evenvwr on the first page.. sorry for sounding snotty but i feel like im going in circles here..

Associate
OP
vista install wont even boot now after that nvidia 'fix'.. ffs its worse now than it was before...looks like im gonna have to stick this hdd in my mates machine and run a format of it all before i can get it to work again. right ive got it all unpartitioned.. back to square 1

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi mate.

As much as I'd like to read all of your notes it's too much information to take in. From the looks of it you've swopped nigh on every component. Is there anything that has stayed the same?

By anything I mean anything such as cables, hard-drives, CD/DVD drives. As suggested by someone else I would literally go down to the bare bones as close as possible and then try and see if that fixes your problem. Sadly I would then reinstall afterwards.

If you're using SATA make sure you are using the correct drivers for it as this will cause no end of problems.

I'm probably covering what other people have said but it's always wise to go through it again.

If you boot of your Vista DVD there's a repair option that may well fix the boot problem caused by the NVidia fix.

M.

Associate
Motherboard/memory

Joshz

Have you tried emailing Gigabyte to see if they have any known issues with OCZ Ram on this board - if not that might be one route to try.

Also email OCZ to see if they have heard of any issues.

I use OCZ DDR2 800 and it is fine for me on my A-bit Am2 board but I know some Asus AM2 boards are incompatable with it - I only know this as I've been considering upgrading to an SLI board (I was going to go with Gigabyte but after reading through your problems I'm reconsidering).

If you bought all the components from OCUK then surely you can RMA the lot as they were bought to be a complete system - even if it meant driving up to Stoke and showing them.

Jennidc

Associate
OP
i dont have a car :S .. i might be able to get my dad to give me a ride. ill probably end up going to his which is fairly close to Scan.. ive asked OCuk about rmaing the lot but they said i can only rma broken parts.. if the parts arent found faulty individually then theres nothing wrong with them .. i know thats not right but well im worn out.. i would ask about the ram but i really dont think its that.. ive tested this board with corsair and some generic ddr2 stuff from a cheap machine and both of those threw up the same issue.. i really cant understand it.. vista installed ok with the old power supply and it wont even finish extracting files with the new one? ..i wsa thinking it could be a conflict between my ram/video card.. but ive tried it with an msi 7600 and same issue.. i even tried putting my card into pcie2 and that still has the same problems.. id like to compose an email to someone.. im just unsure who.. if i could find a more solid reason for this i would..at the moment its like im chasing ghosts.. as soon as i think ive found the problem it just continues....

Associate
OP
Hi mate.

As much as I'd like to read all of your notes it's too much information to take in. From the looks of it you've swopped nigh on every component. Is there anything that has stayed the same?

By anything I mean anything such as cables, hard-drives, CD/DVD drives. As suggested by someone else I would literally go down to the bare bones as close as possible and then try and see if that fixes your problem. Sadly I would then reinstall afterwards.

If you're using SATA make sure you are using the correct drivers for it as this will cause no end of problems.

I'm probably covering what other people have said but it's always wise to go through it again.

If you boot of your Vista DVD there's a repair option that may well fix the boot problem caused by the NVidia fix.

M.

alright mate, yeah ive tried all that .. i even slipped off the power switch after boot to make sure that wasnt causing some kind of stupid fault. the only thing i havent been able to switch really this whole time is the sata cables my mates stuff is running IDE i should try and find some. but i would be surprised if a they were both damaged and b the fault could cause a reboot (i can understand corrupted os or something but not a silent reboot) ?

im gonna go clear my head and then put xp back on.. at least i can get 3dsMax to run fairly stable for an hour or so at a time.. provided i dont try to render anything :S.

Last edited:
Associate
ive skim read through the thread and i havent seen any mention of windows update (sorry if ive missed it)

i know there is a windows update for both vista 32bit and 64bit when using 4gig of memory,

what i usually do is install vista with 2gb of memory installed, install the update and then replace the other stick of memory, usually if i dont install the update the machine will randomly blue screen.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=91672C7C-614B-404C-850C-377541E93C18&displaylang=en&Hash=V/aAddaDoG7WkCI9nEVNhX3WTfcRCP9SBpPkO4DFOq/N/4LBTrN6qK4Q9Y4QU6AXv35tZucOCY2DBlM69EVORw%3d%3d

Give that a whirl mate, might help you out

edit gah just seen this posted on page 1 sorry dude

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i will give it s go when i get it installed ;) i got sp2 on xp fine but havent had vista running long enough to update.. although i do have a recent release of it so im guessing itll have all the updates available till feb

Associate
OP
good to know! at least somone can ;) could be that my stuff is hitting top or bottom of its respective quality brackets and clashing..or i could have just made that all up.. i dunno anymore lol

Soldato
I'd certainly go for perhaps a change of Hard-drive to IDE. If you have a small one lying around just install Windows on that and see how you go.

This then rules out the SATA cables and drivers. Seems like you've tried everything else so one more thing won't matter on a side note I've had the same sort of problem when I broke one of my SATA ports and not realised it so you may want to change ports (again you probably have).

M.

Associate
OP
ok this may sound like a dumbshit idea but its the only thing i havent tried because it seems crazy and i dont want to risk blowing up my HDD.. but.. my hdd has 2 power connections on it a sata power and an oldschool one.. now i just though it was for choise incase the psu didnt have the sata molex .. im wondering now if maybe it does need both? it really is the only thing i havent tried.

Associate
OP
sorry i should have said.. maybe i did i cant remember anymore.. anyway.. i have tried to install windows onto an ide drive.. it makes no difference.

Associate
man just read some of this thread and you seemed to have tried everything all sorts of combos diff parts in case out side case. everything i can think you have tried. even the ram voltages as to me it does seem like a random ram problem but you have tried diff ram. really hope you can sort this :( know how frustrating things like this can be. i had it on pentium 3 build were the ram i had just wasnt compatible with my mobo in dual channel mode. would work find in non dual channel. and would work fine anyway in my mates pc. ended up getting new ram took me a month to work it out.

well good luck and if i think of anything will post

edit *sorry if this is really obvious but i cant be bothered to re read the 4 pages. lol did you plug in the extra cpu power connecter ? the 4 pin near the back edge of the board

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom