Extremely mysterious pc issuse! got any ideas?

Associate
OP
no it wasnt pre built.....come on ..does it say anywhere that i got a prebuilt system.. i brought the parts to work as a whole yes but i put it together myself.. im not gonna pay 150£ for someone to snap it all together..

Associate
OP
if it was pre built it would have gone back a long time ago.. im not that stupid

im not going to post up here anymore unless i get some real results.. im gonna call ocuk in the morning and tell them that their advice to get on the forums has proved useless and try to take this to the next level.. im sick of this im so close it runs beautifully for a time but until this reboot is fixed i cant use it properly. anyway. cheers for the tips its definitely more stable than before but still no good.. ill say this once more.. if you guys have any more please read the thread properly before posting because you wont get a reply unless its actually solution..

cheers
J

Last edited:
Associate
I had a similar problem with random reboots and tried EVERYTHING it drove me C R A Z Y. OCUK even suggested purchasing a new PSU, which i did.

Reboots continued. Then tried a new motherboard - reboots continued.

Turned out to be my graphics card. Upgraded to an 8800GTS and problem solved.

Previously I could get between 5 and 50 mins use out of my PC before it rebooted. Now it's stable 24/7.

If you could borrow another card for a couple of days you may find better results.

Associate
OP
ive used another card :S...a 7600 and an 8600

well heres the latest..(this is my first post from the new machine btw) I played wow on this for 6 solid hours last night with no reboot.. i then left it to sleep .. while i did ... left a notepad window open and its still alive!!!

it definatley got more stable once i put DX10 on here (i also set my sata controllers to sata 1 only.. i saw on a vista reboot post some similar issues.. looks like im not the only one)..anyway i dunno if the sata helped or the dx 10.. a bit of both.. and the psu aswell i think.. anyway .. we'll see.. im not sure if its messing with my head or what.. anyway im gonna continue to run it and see what happens!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok it still happens.. ive just seen a thread on the net of somone experienceing the same problem finally.. it was their cpu.. im gonna stick it in my friends machine and run it again if it reboots this time.. it worked when i did it last time but who knows maybe it should have been left for longer

Soldato
I would say maybe you have serious issues with dirty electrical mains coming into your house, or something in your house is causing bad spikes. I don't see what else it could possibly be. Maybe see if an electrician can monitor the mains or something? I don't even know if that's possible. All I know is that I had a similar problem once (only lasted a day) and it turned out the utility people were messing around with cables up the road and causing the supply to dip and spike. Once they finished all was well again.

I feel for you tho :(

Associate
Phew! just noticed your thread again, I thought all was well a while back.

I didn't notice if you had installed the latest chipset for vista 64bit /lan/sata drivers>http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2679

also I've read that deskstar HDDs do have some compatability problems with some chipsets, no mention of yours but still worth considering.

have you tried a different make of drive, even one with a sata I interface that runs slower, or have you tried their "feature tool" for any adjustments on drive>http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#FeatureTool

nothing else I can think of, I'm sure you will find whats wrong eventually

Associate
OP
ok hello all .. finally had some results.. thanks toucam.. i did it in the end.. got myself a GA-p35 board and it works fine.. sorry to say to all of ya.. ram timings volt settings.. all useless i stuck this new mobo in with all my new gear and it booted first time i didnt even have to change the time in the bios becuase it picked up my vista install fine Its great.. SO LESSSON IS>> dont get a nforce chipset board.. this is now the 2nd one ive encountered with problems (my mates laptop is on nforce and he has some dire issues with it aswell.. mainly loosing his network connection every 3 mins) and on a side note theres a serious issue with thier onboard lan devices anyway...

cheers for all your help guys.. i learned a lot of stuff that i didnt end up using but still it was fun!

Back
Top Bottom