1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely Slow Transfer Speeds (External Drive)

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by DAnDan, 2 Jun 2010.

1. DAnDan

Mobster

I'm trying to move around 90Gb onto an external drive (1TB) and currently getting stupidly slow speeds! It's currently transferring at just over 1MB/s, whereas I would be expecting around 30MB/s.

I know Vista used to have some issues with copy speeds, but I'm running an up to date version, and thought that the issues were fixed?

Edit - Probably should add some extra information. It's a Dell XPS M1530 laptop, as far as I know, all the ports are USB 2 so that shouldn't be an issue. The laptop isn't doing anything else that appears to be stressing it at the moment.

2. Smit

Soldato

What kind of external drive is it?
    Is it larger files or smaller files that are being transferred?

3. DAnDan

Mobster

The drive is marked as an iomega, it's just a shop bought 1TB drive in a case, no idea what the drive inside is.

It's large files, mainly films being transferred. I've tried only copying one file (3Gb for example) at a time accross as oppose to 90Gb worth but there's no difference.

4. DAnDan

Mobster

Thanks for the help, ignore this now though, it's just jumped back up to 20MB/s which will do fine for me :).