1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[email protected] - performance boost running WinXP-64?

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by DarkJedi, 19 Feb 2006.

1. DarkJedi

Associate

I'm currently running [email protected] on Windows XP Pro with an Athlon64 3700+ (SD), if I were to get WinXP 64-bit version...would there be much of a performance increase? assuming I had enough RAM for this of course...

Has anyone experienced better performance on any other DC projects when switching from a 32-bit to a 64-bit OS?

thanks

2. Stan_Lite

Man of Honour

At the moment there is no 64 bit client for [email protected]
    I tried running it with XP64 but it kept killing WUs. I thought it was a hardware problem so checked everything out. I eventually uninstalled XP64 and installed XPhome and, hey presto, it worked fine.

I had a look on the Folding forums and some said it worked fine whilst some had the same problems as I did - I think it's a bit hit-or-miss at the moment. You might want to have a look over there to see what the latest opinions are.

Stan :)

3. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

Since FAH doesn't use any integers larger than 24 bits there will be no performance increase from the 32 bit client to the 64 bit client.

FAH uses SSE/SSE2/SSE3 to perform calculations with up to 128 bits precision. 64 bit integers would be a stop down in performance.

4. DarkJedi

Associate

5. rich99million

Sgarrista

the forums are up - they are just extremely slow to respond :o
    edit: actually once the forums have loaded they aren't that slow to navigate - it's just the initial wait that makes it seem like they are down

you may find the official FaHWiki more useful

edit: tadaaaaa http://fahwiki.net/index.php/FAH_&_64-bit

Last edited: 20 Feb 2006