F1 2010 season abit boring?

Man of Honour
I'm reserving judgement until there have been some more races - Bahrain is a completely inappropriate venue to host the first race of the year.

It would be foolish to write off a whole season on the basis of one race.

Soldato
To be fair it's not just 'us' - people like Nick Fry, Martin Whitmarsh, Kovaleinen etc. are all very concerned and want something done to avoid a repeat of yesterday's snoozefest. These guys work in F1, they can see there is an inherent problem and it's not likely to be a one off or they would say so. I trust the people with the data and I think something should be done sooner rather than later if it's as bad as they are making out.

Funny you mention Whitmarsh, i was talking to CH today and he said that he had warned the teams in a technical meeting that the rule changes would make racing very boring. Red Bull then wrote to all the teams proposing a mandatory 2 stop race and every single team [McLaren included] refused to back us.

Soldato
Funny you mention Whitmarsh, i was talking to CH today and he said that he had warned the teams in a technical meeting that the rule changes would make racing very boring. Red Bull then wrote to all the teams proposing a mandatory 2 stop race and every single team [McLaren included] refused to back us.

To be fair CSl, I wouldve done the same and declined the mandatory pitstop rule.

I would've first seen if my car is the fastest on the track. If not and it benefits my team to have 2 pitstops, then I would've signed up to it. If however, I am in a position where we have the best car/driver combination (I'm looking at Ferrari here), then I would oppose any changes to what we have right now.

In summary:
Cat1: if you are scoring lots of points and winning races: oppose any changes to rules/regs.
Cat2: if you are losing races, doing badly and struggling with overtaking, then ask for changes to be made to rules/regs.
Cat3: if you have no idea where your car currently is in relation to other teams/cars, hold station, oppose changes until you have had time to evaluate whether you fall into Category1 or Category2. After you have decided which Category you fall into, take the necessary actions (as above).

Soldato
Your assumption that Ferrari have the best car is odd, well given what i know anyway :D

The conversation between Horner and Whitmarsh took place long before a wheel had even seen a test track so i dont really see your point.

Soldato
Because of course it wouldn't be in MS's interests to go back to sprint races would it. A man would did his level best to resist gadgets being removed from the cars to increase the level of driver skill.

A man who now races without those gadgets and is struggling to shake off 'rust'.

Of course a man who did 90% of his overtaking in the pitlane would be keen to see the return of more pitstops.

I love the way people on here are writing it off and demanding changes, the same people who would complain when mad max made quick changes in haste.

All that happened is people wanted points on the board and tyre compounds are too hard.

Clearly JB who has permanently been rusty and will continue to get his handed to him by Lewis has also agreed :D

Soldato
The conversation between Horner and Whitmarsh took place long before a wheel had even seen a test track so i dont really see your point.

In which case, Whitmarsh would've been in Category3 (if you have no idea where your car currently is in relation to other teams/cars, hold station, oppose changes until you have had time to evaluate whether you fall into Category1 or Category2).

Maybe Horner should ask Whitmarsh now - the answer may be different, though I doubt it. I think other teams need another 2-3 races to evaluate where they actually are, in relation to the other teams. You can't base your performance on a single race, held on a single track.

Soldato
Clearly JB who has permanently been rusty and will continue to get his handed to him by Lewis has also agreed :D

In fairness to Button, he wasnt "rusty" during the first half of last year. ;) Though since his last win, its almost as if someone has stolen his skill and locked it away in a dark and unknown place. I'm not sure what happened to him after the Turkish GP.

Soldato
A few things which I think is wrong with the sport:

Test sessions should only be done with test/reserve drivers (unless the current driver has never raced at the circuit), currently there's no suitable way of getting new drivers race experience without huge sponsorship and thrown in at the deep end.

Qualifying puts the fastest cars at the front of the grid, with no strategy of course there's going to be little difference to the order when a car can have as many shots as possible getting to the front. Shootouts were dull but at least it only gave a driver one shot at getting to the front and any screwup in the lap would put them out of place for the race, encouraging overtaking.

A quick fix would be a shootout with a single lap each deciding the order, an extreme situation would be to have a shootout quali on the sat followed by a sprintrace (half the points of the race weekend) followed by a random selection where drivers pick their place out of a bag or similar to make the grid for sunday's race. (other half of race weekend points)

If you want overtaking then the only way you'll get it is for drivers to be out of place (bad qualifying) or for tech on car to allow overtaking. Possibly bring back KERS but it can only be used (and more powerful) when you're within 1sec of following another car, and it can't be used to defend.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Some good ideas there.

I think KERS should be allowed as it did introduce an interesting spanner to the works. I also like the idea of random grid positions. This would give other teams a chance at getting pole and holding it.

Soldato
A quick fix would be a shootout with a single lap each deciding the order, an extreme situation would be to have a shootout quali on the sat followed by a sprintrace (half the points of the race weekend) followed by a random selection where drivers pick their place out of a bag or similar to make the grid for sunday's race. (other half of race weekend points)

I like this idea, the sprint race could be just 50 miles or so following the qualifying shootout. Sunday's grid could be Saturday's finishing places, but with reversed at a random point like they do with touring cars.

The risk would be to make Saturday more exciting than Sunday!

Soldato

According to a interview with whitmarsh on the red button mclaren seem to favour the mandatory 2 stop race and he mentioned that a few teams had put the idea forward listing mclaren redbull and another unnamed.

Caporegime
I like this idea, the sprint race could be just 50 miles or so following the qualifying shootout. Sunday's grid could be Saturday's finishing places, but with reversed at a random point like they do with touring cars.

The risk would be to make Saturday more exciting than Sunday!

Touring cars can get close and overtake each other, until they strip the aero that could never happen with F1. If your going to do that with F1 might as well save everyone 400 billion and just pick a lottery number to decide who won and save running the race in the first place.

Why destroy someones championship by moving the fastest car down the back at monaco or hungary.

Caporegime
The Arnoux Villeneuve battle would never happen again because those drivers gave a cars width, respect because locking wheels would easily kill you. As you saw with Massa on Hamilton at the start of the GP the only defensive driving these gimps know is to cut the road off or edge over in the hope thge other driver yeilds or ends up on the grass.

Back
Top Bottom