F1 Commentary team

Capodecina
Soldato
Martin Brundle is fine, he is knowledgeable and points out things that only an experienced F1 driver is likely to know. Jonathan Legard is absolutely awful, God only knows why the BBC employ him. I would love to hear Martin Brundle and David Coulthard (in place of Jonathan Legard) doing a commentary, that could be very interesting :)

I haven't watched F1 on TV and listened to BBC Radio Five Live, I will give that a go at the next race. I suspect that the real problem may be that the commentary will not always reflect what I am looking at.

Associate
I actually like the bbc f1 team, as annoying as Leggard is, he's only there to liven up the commentry where Murray Walker used to. He does tend to get too excited at the wrong time over nothing a lot though.

In an ideal world, Murray Walker would be where Leggard is but it ain't gonna happen. :(

Overall the bbc are providing the best F1 coverage we've seen, I think they cover some much more then we used to get before the races.

Caporegime
I don't really mind Ledgard although it does annoy me when he's announcing the driver order and puts "from" in front of every name.

I've been listening to 5Live practice though and must admit Anthony Davidson's commentary is far more natural and interesting to listen to.

Last edited:
Associate
I love Brundle, but Legard is too much. Not sure who I'd have replace him though, as sometimes it's nice to have a "shouty" commentator for epic moments.

Soldato
Grates me every race when Leggard says "Battle has been joined" :/

Croft + Brundle + Davidson would be ideal, or just do a straight swap for Leggard to go back to Radio commentary. I'm sure it would be controversial, and I don't overly like him, but I wonder if Jonathan Pearce (BBC Football / Robot Wars) would make a good shouty F1 commentator? I could actually see it working, but I don't know if his F1 knowledge would be up to scratch.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I haven't watched F1 on TV and listened to BBC Radio Five Live, I will give that a go at the next race. I suspect that the real problem may be that the commentary will not always reflect what I am looking at.

When the commentary starts with Legard press the red button, from there you can flick between the two commentary teams very quickly. Commentary reflects the video as they are watching the same thing and have the same information that Brundle/Legard do.

Soldato
Haha, I can imagine Jonathan Pearce only getting excited when there's carnage! I really don't think he's suited to the job. I'm all for getting more ex drivers to do it, they make it most interesting, but you have to appreciate you do need balance to accommodate a wider audience.

Soldato
The thing that grates me about JL is that his excitement seems so forced. It's almost like since MW who genuinely managed to sound excited by every race he commentated people are trying to emulate that excitement when it clearly isn't genuine and it just comes across badly IMO.

Associate
Leggard is completely out of his depth. I mean, I could tolerate the faux-enthusiasm and the endless clichés if he had any clue as to what was going on in the races. It's one thing to lack the ability to convey the drama and excitment of a sporting event, but it's absolutely another to not be able to accurately describe it to the viewer. It's inexcusable and the BBC should be rightly ashamed.

Brundle sound unusually depressed this year. I'm not suprised given the number of times he gets shouted down by that idiot when he's trying to make a point. I find myself shouting at the television; "let the man speak!!!".

I never thought I'd actually say this but James Allen was far superior. Annoying he might have been, but he was genuinely passionate and knowledgable about the sport.

Soldato
Isn't Brundle doing some racing in DTM this year. That would be interesting to see vs Coulthard and Ralf

No hes doing the scirroco r cup classed as a dtm support race just watched yesterdays race he qualified p2 and was p3 in race he did a solid job vs the young guys and was nice to see him on a podium again think he was also chuffed himself :)

Soldato
Croft and Davidson are superb during Free Practice. Very entertaining. Yet I always listen to the TV coverage during the race. I also like it when Sir Jackie Stewart does a free practice stint at some races. He still knows his stuff.

Brundle is untouchable, but Leggard's had a season and a bit and I just can't get used to him. It all sounds forced and most of the time I just try and tune his voice in to background. Trouble is who do you replace him with? Crofty is very good, but that would mean splitting up the radio team...

As for the Schumacher apologists complaining about the commentator flack, just remember the Luca Badoer feeding frenzy.

Soldato
Don't think the commentary team is that bad, Legard can go but the rest are good. I also think that the coverage is not to biased during the race towards the british drivers, interms of the prasie they give to other drivers. Had the displesaure of watching the first 15 laps of china gp on spanish TV and i nearly barffed. Its either Alsono is the best ever or he doesn't have luck on his side. They described his start as very good, even though it was a jump start. OH and their brundle is mark gene, keep it red why don't we.

Soldato
Well Mark Gene wouldn't have been of use to them last season or previous seasons since its only this year Alonso joined Ferrari.

This is why i used to hate ITV the whole show was heavily biased towards British Drivers. F1 is a worldwide sport, I don't care that much (beyond a basic support level) for British drivers, there are the same as everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom