F10 BMW 5 Series - Driven

Soldato
I think I must be one of the few people who quite liked the more bold look of the E60. I really like the LCI e60 in M-Sport guise, and find the F10 looks a bit too bland... hoping M-sport tat improves it a bit!

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;16382508 said:
The other thing that annoyed me about the E60 was crap like the climate control being just a plastic twirly knob with the temperatures stuck onto it! I mean.. what? Even an E36 had digital climate.

I have tried to convince myself the E60 is a good car, I think externally it can look OK but having driven a couple of late as I weigh up my day to day options I find the interior is very poorly fitted in some areas, the leather is cheap looking and the ergonomics are far from BM's finest hour.

Man of Honour
OP
I have tried to convince myself the E60 is a good car, I think externally it can look OK but having driven a couple of late as I weigh up my day to day options I find the interior is very poorly fitted in some areas, the leather is cheap looking and the ergonomics are far from BM's finest hour.

That pretty much echos my thoughts. I keep wanting to like it - its such an obvious choice for my and an LCI 530i M Sport is just coming into budget but... sigh :(

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;16382553 said:
Thats such a comedy review, but you CAN hear the engine note. What do you think? Isnt very diesel, is it?

Doesn't sound much like what id expect a diesel to sound like. Suprised at the rear wheel steer thing he mentioned, not seen that mentioned before in any of the vids ive watched.

Man of Honour
OP
Doesn't sound much like what id expect a diesel to sound like. Suprised at the rear wheel steer thing he mentioned, not seen that mentioned before in any of the vids ive watched.

I didnt realise it had that - but it rings a bell from the stuff I read last year, actually. The car I drove today would have had that.

Soldato
Saw a silver F10 535i in Slough yesterday. It had stopped at the lights so managed to get a long hard look at it. I walked viewing from the back to the front and I have to say I loved the look of it but for some reason it is overly long and therefore looks stretched, if you know what I mean.

[TW]Fox;16382185 said:
I think probably the best day-to-day setting is to set Sport mode so that it leaves the gearbox in standard mode

I think there is a mistake in that sentence, shouldn't it read "so that it puts the gearbox into sports mode but leaves the DSC on".

Other than that nice write up.

Would be nice to have some pictures of the vehicle tho.

Soldato
Curiously, do you just turn up at dealers trying to blag a drive of anything they have in stock or did you have anything prearranged?

I want to test drive the new Nissan 370z that I know I would not buy new, but a potential replacement for the ST in a few years time.

Man of Honour
OP
I think there is a mistake in that sentence, shouldn't it read "so that it puts the gearbox into sports mode but leaves the DSC on".

No - I meant what I wrote. I'd want the suspension in Sport, and the gearbox in normal. Otherwise you drive everywhere revving 1000rpm more than you'd really want.

Curiously, do you just turn up at dealers trying to blag a drive of anything they have in stock or did you have anything prearranged?

I got a thing through the post. It's my local BMW dealer and they do all the bodywork and servicing on all 3 of our cars so they know me, but I would imagine anyone can get a test drive?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16382780 said:
I got a thing through the post. It's my local BMW dealer and they do all the bodywork and servicing on all 3 of our cars so they know me, but I would imagine anyone can get a test drive?

Yup, I find it's best to phone and ask for a specific model. My local BMW gargage got me a 335i M Sport in from another garage to test drive, they phoned just after it had snowed to say come in and go for a drive but I refused as I'd just had my little off and didn't fancy jumping straight into a 335i, never phoned them back but I've driven everything I've wanted to at garages just be pretending to be interested and phoning ahead.

Associate
Nice write-up, perhaps a photo or two wouldn't go amiss though for those of us not familiar with BMW model numbers? When you say you can check the oil level through idrive, can you actually check the level as say, a percentage, or does it just say 'ok' until it gets too low at which point it changes to 'low'? I recall Tom Ford having a go at idrive in the X6 for that, and I wouldn't like it either. If you haven't got a dipstick this would annoy me no end.

Man of Honour
This event was being advertised on the radio, can't remember what they called it but it was a general invite to come down and have a nose around.

It's called Ultimate Drive Weekend, on today and tomorrow, my dealer asked me along:

Dear Mr,

Visit us on Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 April to put any model in the BMW range to the test, and to see how a new BMW stacks up against its competitors (and your current car). You'll be able to take a closer look at the latest additions to the showroom, including the new 5 Series Saloon and 5 Series Gran Turismo, the exciting new X1 and the sophisticated new 3 Series Coupé and Convertible. We’ll also be able to tell you more about the forthcoming new 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon: delivering a staggering 68.9mpg and reaching 0-62mph in 8.0 seconds, it’s the most efficient BMW we’ve ever built.

Just by registering you've already entered a national prize draw to win the use of a new BMW every 3 months for a whole year. Imagine spending the summer months in a new BMW Z4 or tracking along wintry back roads in a BMW X1. Pay us a visit, and you could also win an extended test drive in your vehicle of choice from the dealership. But that's not all, for this weekend only, we will be offereing £500 off your next new BMW.

Yours sincerely,

:)

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not sure the F10 is the sort of car I'd want to buy in the way I bought mine, though. It is bewilderingly complicated. I wonder if it'll still be as flawless and fault free at 150k miles..

[TW]Fox;16382780 said:
No - I meant what I wrote. I'd want the suspension in Sport, and the gearbox in normal. Otherwise you drive everywhere revving 1000rpm more than you'd really want.

Going by the sentence before it would appear not.

There are 3 modes available - Standard, Sport and Sport+. Standard gives you the more comfortable suspension option, and the gearbox in normal mode. Sport mode firms the suspension up and puts the gearbox into Sport mode. Sport+ disables the DSC. You can, however, edit the settings - I think probably the best day-to-day setting is to set Sport mode so that it leaves the gearbox in standard mode

But hey if that's what you mean

Back
Top Bottom