Failed driving test :(

Soldato
When i first started driving lessons with my first instructor i was getting told my drives were perfect. 3 days before my first test i get a text message off my instructor saying he's off to live in dubai, leaving me in a whole lot of ****.

Quickly rang a fella up from BSM who was recommended to me. Had to come from a 1.6 petrol to a bran new 1.3 deisal turbo which was fine, what wasn't fine was all the bad habits i picked up from the first instructor.

2nd instructor was ace though, old school instructor who would proper F n blind at me if i did anything wrong. Sticks in your head then!

Moral of the story, your instructor is probably a plonker and made you believe you are perfect when infact your far from it (which you are)

Permabanned
I thought my driving test was far too easy, I got two minors;

One was for stopping too close to a corner where I thought it was better to risk that as a minor than risk a hesitation minor, which is easier to pick up else where and result in a fail.
That said, the too close to the corner was subjective IMO, I thought it was fine, and I still wouldn't hesitate to stop in the same location now, five years later.

The other was for incorrect use of speed, 45 in a tight and narrow single NSL that I was unfamiliar with, which again, I thought was a joke.

But I passed regardless, first time, and still to this day, haven't had a crash, my judgement has never failed me.

Associate
Seeing as we're all sharing driving test anecdotes i'll add mine:

Failed first time, approached the exit of a very small, open car park. Looked both ways and was clear so proceeded to turn left. Being nervous It took me a while to gain some speed and I noticed a car from behind me driving round the corner a bit quickly. No big deal, it wasn't near me and no reason for us to do anything drastic. Other car continues to accelerate as I get up the hill and approach a multi lane junction, the car changes lane quite abruptly.

I was marked as failed as I "Caused another driver to change direction and/or speed". Was a bit surprised, as was my instructor who was actually watching me leave the car park.

Just had to shrug it off and re book my second test which I passed with only two minors. Was far more comfortable and relaxed in my second test and I think its made me into a better driver. Still learning though, obviously. At the end of the day I trusted the examiners judgement and for me he seemed professional and polite, so he was probably right to fail me that time.

Last edited:
Soldato
My sister passed her test despite turning left 3 times in a row when the instructor told her to turn right.

He couldn't fail her thought as she checked her mirrors and signalled correctly.

She is indeed an idiot though.

Soldato
normally the people who pass first are the crap drivers anyway! normally girls too.

thats abit sexist dont you think, not all women drivers are crap, just ones that drive 4x4 :D, the worst drivers are ones who overtake on corners and under 25's and OAP's and it comes with being over-confident and not making observations before making a decision.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;16112367 said:
You didnt fail your test because the examiner was a ****. You didnt fail the test because the examiner fell out with the instructor. You didnt fail the test because there is a quota.

oh really ?

so its not at all possible that one of the instructors has a chip on his shoulder and likes to fail people on their first attempt because he's on a power trip ?

My instructor warned me about one particular examiner, who had a reputation for a being male chicken. He went out with you wanting to fail you. Given a half hearted gesture for looking at a mirror, he would claim he didnt see it and fail you. He would NEVER given the benefit of the doubt, and always take any oppertunity to fail you.

Thankfully i didnt get that particular examiner, but i fail to see why its not at all possible.

By the sounds of the OP's very arrogant post, id say he failed him not because he didnt check a mirror, but because he comes across cocky, and the instructor decided to knock him down a peg or two by finding something to fail on him.

Does the OP deserve to fail ? judgying by his arrogant "i drove perfectly" response, probably.

But dont immedately assume that the only reason he didnt pass was because he wasnt up to standard. Instructors are human too.

Soldato
oh really ?

so its not at all possible that one of the instructors has a chip on his shoulder and likes to fail people on their first attempt because he's on a power trip ?

My instructor warned me about one particular examiner, who had a reputation for a being male chicken. He went out with you wanting to fail you. Given a half hearted gesture for looking at a mirror, he would claim he didnt see it and fail you. He would NEVER given the benefit of the doubt, and always take any oppertunity to fail you.

Thankfully i didnt get that particular examiner, but i fail to see why its not at all possible.

By the sounds of the OP's very arrogant post, id say he failed him not because he didnt check a mirror, but because he comes across cocky, and the instructor decided to knock him down a peg or two by finding something to fail on him.

Does the OP deserve to fail ? judgying by his arrogant "i drove perfectly" response, probably.

But dont immedately assume that the only reason he didnt pass was because he wasnt up to standard. Instructors are human too.

observing mirrors is one of the most important things, which can avoid you being in an accident , back in 2007 a third party reversed into me in a car park, and when i asked them if they were looking in there mirror there response was "no"

Soldato
When I was sat in the test centre for the 3rd time, my heart almost sank when I saw the same examiner again walk out and call my name

I had the same examiner for Test 3 (the one I passed) as I'd had the 1st time, and he recognized me and knew my instructor well.

My fail's were, ahem, rather stupid :(

Failed the first one for speeding. By 20MPH. (Got some minors too for only using my eyes for looking in mirrors etc)
Failed the second one for running a red light.

Last edited:
Caporegime
observing mirrors is one of the most important things, which can avoid you being in an accident , back in 2007 a third party reversed into me in a car park, and when i asked them if they were looking in there mirror there response was "no"

its also a very easy thing to claim "not to have seen" when waiting to fail somebody who comes acoss as a cocky little so and so ;)

Soldato
its also a very easy thing to claim "not to have seen" when waiting to fail somebody who comes acoss as a cocky little so and so ;)

exactly being overconfident does not go down well with instructors, you need to show them that your a safe driver behind the wheel, which most motorist dont do.

Soldato
I passed first time, even though i should have failed. Near the start of my test i clipped the kerb, though was let off as if i hadnt chances are we would have been hit by a lorry. Though because i thought id failed all my nerves went and i just drove like i would normally after that. Went through an amber light near the end, got given benifit of the doubt again on that. Really i got very lucky

Soldato
I passed first time strangely enough for me. The examiner wouldn't have a banter during the test but fair enough. He pointed out I might want to put the wipers on before we set off as I nearly forgot.

At the end he said I'd passed but would bet his mortgage that I wasn't looking enough at roundabouts :S and asked if he was keeping me awake as I wasn't that bothered.

I went into the test confident I could pass and did with 3 minors all of which were missing one observation on a turn in the road, reverse round a corner and I can't remember what other one.

Soldato
I failed my first test even though it went pretty well. I didn't get that many faults but somehow got 3x "effective use of mirrors when signalling" So I failed on that. On my 2nd test it didn't go as well and I got a few faults but over different areas. At the end of the test, I was waiting to turn into the test centre (filter lane in middle of the road) there was a stream of oncoming cars so I had to wait. The instructor then said "an indicator might help here":eek: so i put my indicator on. Once parked up he told me I had passed :eek: It turns out I had indicated but as i straightened the car up in the filter lane, my indicator clicked off so this was only a minor because I had indicated, I just didn't correct it. I still think my 1st test went much better than my 2nd but that's how it goes.

Soldato
I'm taking what the OP says with a huge amount of salt - he's being very vague about the reasons for failing (which will be detailed on the test report)

OP - you're obviously not ready to be on the road, read the report (I would say talk to the examiner, but sounds like you peed him off by acting like a ****) and learn from it. Get some more practice and re book the test when you're ready to take it again.

The DSA doesnt have a vendetta against you, if you think about it rationally and genuinely feel you have a complaint then you can do so without it affecting your future tries.

I seriously suggest you rethink your attitude and learn from the experience, rather than trying to blame anyone but yourself

Associate
OP
Hey you people need to realize I was not cocky what so ever, I drove extremely safely and was polite even after I failed. My temper doesn't control my actions, of course I wasn't actually going to hit him but that's what I wanted to do!

I can honestly say I felt I deserved to pass, he told me another driver had to slow down and I didn't use my mirrors properly changing lane (all in one situation not separate) This I feel was total bs, it's that simple.

** Honestly if I felt I'd made a mistake I'd have regretted it and looked forward, everyone seems to remember the error's they've made, I don't. **

Last edited:
Associate
There is an examiner at my local test centre who always ensures that the air-con/fans are turned off in the car so that he can catch you out for having steamed up windows. Moer of a handle now as everybody comes in prewarned but I expect people put him down as a right btard when he first started failing them (correctly) for it

Back
Top Bottom